Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Anyone else find the Bill Nye: Fad Diet episode to be absolute garbage?

Options
medic2038
medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
So I've been checking out the new Bill Nye show on Netflix, I'm a nerd and absolutely love science shows.
Despite there being some things on other episodes that were patently false, I found the "expert panel" on fad diets to be the worst in the series.

While it's true many fad diets, and detoxing are pretty much nonsense... One of the experts (one of which was a comedian?!?) made the claim that weight is 70% determined by genetics. How can a so called expert have such a misunderstanding of 1) genetics, 2) physiology?

Genetics can certainly have an impact on your body, your genes aren't an absolute indicator of an outcome. Simply because someone has a predisposition to something, doesn't mean that is always going to happen (IE think of the Angelina Jolie breast cancer gene debate several years ago). It's much more complicated then "have gene X, must get condition X".

So any way she further goes on to talk about starvation mode, and makes the claim that our metabolisms magically violate thermodynamics (paraphrasing). Again they make the claim about what society finds to be attractive changes with time (and I agree with that), they make the jump to saying changing body composition is completely out of your control.

So her expert advice... eat "reasonably healthy" and exercise a "reasonable amount".
Anyone else find this particular panel/episode to be absolutely horrendous?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,141 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't have Netflix, so can't comment on this specific show. I will say that I've heard from people in the medical, science, and kinesiology fields that talk about diet and weight loss like something from BuzzFeed or Huffington Post. I'm literally baffled that people working in scientific fields concerning the human body truly believe sugar makes you fat.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I saw that he had a show on Netflix, but have not watched any yet. Your not making me want to either :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They claim Dr. Oz is an expert too, seems like you have to take "expert" with a grain of salt when it comes to weight loss.

I don't have anything super useful to say though as I didn't see it.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Apparently Nye has been awarded several honorary doctorates of science and he also assisted with the development of a sundial that was used on the Mars Exploration Rover missions.
    Here's info on the sundial project, in case anyone is interested.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/04/990422055433.htm

Based on who else contributed (four scientists, two space artists, and thousands of schoolchildren), it sounds like Nye's contributions were mainly publicity and educational. Probably a smart move on the team's part, because his participation brought a lot of name recognition to the project.

• kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This was the only episode I've seen, which I found to be so bad I've decided not to watch any more of this series.
    medic2038 wrote: »

While it's true many fad diets, and detoxing are pretty much nonsense... One of the experts (one of which was a comedian?!?) made the claim that weight is 70% determined by genetics. How can a so called expert have such a misunderstanding of 1) genetics, 2) physiology?

That expert talking about this was Traci Mann: http://www.secretsfromtheeatinglab.com/

• veronikamellon
    veronikamellon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    kathakraz wrote: »

That expert talking about this was Traci Mann: http://www.secretsfromtheeatinglab.com/

The same Traci Mann that claims that obesity is not necessarily unhealthy? Ok
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This was the only episode I've seen, which I found to be so bad I've decided not to watch any more of this series.

The other episodes weren't too bad, but I did find some of it really juvenile. It made me feel like I watching a kids show with adult themes. Like a science-based SouthPark.

The episode in question was certainly more cringe-worthy than the other episodes. Maybe I just know more about dieting than I do about the other topics.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

One of the experts (one of which was a comedian?!?) made the claim that weight is 70% determined by genetics. How can a so called expert have such a misunderstanding of 1) genetics, 2) physiology?

Genetics can certainly have an impact on your body, your genes aren't an absolute indicator of an outcome. Simply because someone has a predisposition to something, doesn't mean that is always going to happen

I haven't watched the show, but it sounds like you and that expert agree. From what you've said, that expert didn't make the claim that people with a genetic predisposition will always get fat.
    dfwesq wrote: »
    There's a reason why he's "Bill Nye the science guy" instead of "Bill Nye, the scientist". He does sciency stuff.
    :)

Apparently Nye has been awarded several honorary doctorates of science and he also assisted with the development of a sundial that was used on the Mars Exploration Rover missions.

No she was making the claim basically that you're powerless to overcome your genetics, it was total garbage.

Veronika, After seeing that post I went and read the book reviews on amazon. Apparently she's exactly that person!
  • bronteremsik
    bronteremsik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. There are world renowned scientists who have done decades of research and published research papers in peer reviewed journals about nutrition (Dr. Colin Campbell, Dr. Steve Esselstyn & many more) but Billy Nye builds a panel of "experts" consisting of a comedian, a winner from the biggest loser & a psychiastrist? Excuse me, who decided any of these individuals should be the best choices to educate the public about health? The psychiatrist woman was the absolute worst of the panel, because she acted like she knows what she's talking about and could negatively influence people to think they can't improve themselves, and that upsets me the most! The comedian was just ignorant, which is not necessarily her fault, but she should absolutely not be on an expert panel. I did like the biggest loser winner though because she was able to push back on the psychiatrist's bull *kitten*. Bill Nye had an opportunity to address a major issue, but missed the mark completely & added confusion & fluff on top of it all.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Neil degrasse Tyson > Bill Nye
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like Bill Nye, but he's a science guy. I'll take my advice from actual scientists.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ok, I'm watching it now and there are no doctors or scientists on the "panel of experts". I think the personal trainer had more valuable things to say then the comedian and the psychologist did.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Bill Nye is a mechanical engineer with pretenses to being a scientist... 'nough said.

He is, however, also an incredibly effective communicator of science to the public. Don't discount that as an important contribution to science.

Yes, he is an effective communicator, but that does not lend any value or credence to his personal opinions like every news outlet in existence wants to believe. I will take the words and efforts of any real scientist over his any day of the week.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love Bill Nye, but his series is super cringey.