Craving bad food

Options
How do I get out of this? Craving bad food so bad, but I've done so well so far I don't want to go back to my old eating ways!

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Eat something good for you like a banana or apple.
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Eat something good for you like a banana or apple.
    I eat fruit everyday but still not stopping it :/
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i am the same way. i was craving a burrito from chipotle the other day, and that is WAY over my daily calorie count! instead, i bought a chicken breast and an avocado, added some tomato and made my own for a fraction of the calories. sometimes that won't work, and i'll break-down and eat a burger or pizza. just get up the next day and start again.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What do you view a bad food?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I balance out my diet with lots of whole, nutritionally dense foods...and I use discretionary calories on other things that may not be so nutrient dense. The all or nothing approach rarely if ever works in my experience.

I don't typically look at foods as good or bad...I look at my diet overall and what is making up the majority of my diet...if most of that was "junk" food then I would have a bad diet...if most of it is solid nutrition then the small amount of "junk" is pretty irrelevant.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Work those items into your calorie goals!

Have a smaller lunch so you can indulge in a small bag of chips or a small cup of icecream.

It's all about moderation and you can fit junk food into your daily calorie goals. If you want it, make room for it! Or find lower calorie substitutions.
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Some days I want to eat McDonald's, pizza, chocolate, crisps, sweets and binge eat. That's what I class as bad food lol. I can't just have a small piece of chocolate, once I start I can't stop so it's either don't eat any at all or have a binge day, I've always had a bad relationship with food and saw a psychiatrist but still can't get over it!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do I get out of this? Craving bad food so bad, but I've done so well so far I don't want to go back to my old eating ways!

Change your way of thinking. Food is not good. Food is not bad. Food is fuel. You have certain nutritional needs, of course, but its not like every bite has to be optimally nutritious. Labeling food as good and bad sets you up for other issues, such as guilt for eating something that you deem as bad. When it comes to weight loss, you need a calorie deficit. Even your 'bad' food can work into that. If you are trying to say you will never again eat XYZ, when XYZ is something you enjoy, life is going to be rough. Instead perhaps figure out how to have some of the 'bad' foods in moderation.

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    If you are going to give in try quality over quantity to satisfy the urge. If you need chocolate don't have a one pound bar of store brand have a smaller piece of Godiva or some other premium chocolate. If you indulge with high satisfaction but less than it may satisfy the urge and not do as much damage. Whatever you do take the time to enjoy the experience. DO NOT eat the "bad food" fast and unconsciously. Lastly, if you have been dieting for long listen to your body after you've indulged. Your body may not have a positive reaction.
  • ShiverStorm
    ShiverStorm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm going through something very similar.. how long has it been? I believe that food can and is an addiction.. It's hard to get away from.. but depending on how long it's been you may just need more time to get over it? It's taken me months to get over the Lenny & Larry's cookies that I obsessed over for a while. I still think about them but the longer I go without having any the easier it is to ignore them. This is my experience of course and may not exactly be what you're going through.
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some days I want to eat McDonald's, pizza, chocolate, crisps, sweets and binge eat. That's what I class as bad food lol. I can't just have a small piece of chocolate, once I start I can't stop so it's either don't eat any at all or have a binge day, I've always had a bad relationship with food and saw a psychiatrist but still can't get over it!

I'm so bad at eating chocolate too, if i buy a whole family sized block of chocolate, i tend to eat it all in one go, just can't help me self cause it's just so good. It's a good thing i rarely crave pizza, crisps or lollies. I don't ignore my cravings, if i crave for a "bad food" i add it do my daily diet, and if i go over my calorie count i just reduce the next few days to make up the difference or exercise some more.

If you can't stop at just one piece, then don't buy a whole block just for yourself, either share it around or buy one freddo frog or some other premium single serve bar to indulge on. Or go to some activity until the craving has passed. Just don't have a binge day
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing w/ the same thing. I have the urge to eat an entire box of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies or Poptarts. It's bad. I have no advice.
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    I'm going through something very similar.. how long has it been? I believe that food can and is an addiction.. It's hard to get away from.. but depending on how long it's been you may just need more time to get over it? It's taken me months to get over the Lenny & Larry's cookies that I obsessed over for a while. I still think about them but the longer I go without having any the easier it is to ignore them. This is my experience of course and may not exactly be what you're going through.
    Been 5 weeks on my diet but had a few treats.. yeah definitely got addicted at one point. Worst thing is when I actually eat it I don't even feel satisfied, I don't enjoy it as much as I did
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Allow those foods in your way of eating. Instead of a piece of chocolate, just get 1 bar from the store. Make sure to hit your macros and fibre first, then add your favourites.

Calories are king.

Ignoring cravings can lead to possible binges. Make peace with them, but be sensible. A balanced diet is healthy for the body mind and soul.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

There are no "bad" foods, just bad diets. Learn to eat BETTER......because trying to eat perfectly will likely backfire. You don't need perfection for weight loss.....but improvement is good.

Are you never going back to eating a serving of "bad" food.....ever? Learn portion control for all foods....not just "diet" foods.

You aren't likely "addicted" to food. Look up My 600 Pound Life......those are people with some serious food issues. I like food too, in fact I LOVE chocolate, but that doesn't make me an addict.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are you definin as "bad" foods...?

I will just say this ...there are no bad foods, just bad diets.

As long as you hit your calorie, marco, and micro targets for the day you will be fine.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing my TOM and I have had cravings the last 2 days. Yesterday I ate 160 cals. worth of sour cherry blaster gummies and today I had an Eat More bar for 240 cal. When I'm old and grey I don't think I'll say to myself 'man I shouldn't have had those to eat'. Some days are better than other's. Figure out what you want and then have it and be done with it. Just be cognizant that you have now had those calories so you need to try and stick to however many you have left for the day. Don't make it a bigger issue than it needs to be. Good luck. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make a comment I fear is not helpful to you, but might be to others reading here.

I like potato chips. No issue eating a family sized bag while watching tv. Did it on a regular basis. Part of the reason I hit 330 lbs. So I'm not doing that anymore. But I still have a box of small bags of chips, ~30g each, and will have one every second or third night. Same for Mars bites, Rolo's and Aero minis. I can have a half portion of them and am good for a couple nights.

This works far better for me than to say I can't have them. Having smaller portions available keeps me from eating the family sized bag.

But it sounds like you would not be able to stop at a few, or a small bag. If that's the case, then you just don't have them in the house. Unfortunate if that is the case, but you've got to figure out what works for yourself with this. Maybe a substitute will work, maybe allowing something one day a week. It all comes down to what works for you and what you can handle.

Good luck.
  • beelzeboobs21
    beelzeboobs21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The junk cravings are so rough!

I find myself asking "Did this make me feel any better before?". The answer is always no and that makes it much easier for me to make a healthier choice