Commercial Diets - Which ones have you had success with?

Options
124»

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So now lots of people have told OP that she cannot expect to lose weight in 2 days. OK, that has been beaten to death. She is still asking what commercial diets people have used and whether they have been successful.

All of them and none of them. The will all work if you follow them exactly because THEY ALL CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT. None of them will work long term because you haven't addressed the reason your were overweight.

ETA: OP, please go and read this.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Momjogger, thank you for your advice. I like your snack ideas. Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, eggs, and yogurt sound like reasonable suggestions that I can incorporate into my diet. So, would you say you do low carb? Do you eat cheese?

I've done low carb, lost weight and regained. I've done meal replacement shakes, lost weight and regained.

Now I'm learning how to eat FOREVER. Keep in mind that weight loss is just the first step. If you want to eat low carb, if you plan on a life time of low carb that's fine. Eliminating foods forever can help you lose weight AND keep it off.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I think what the OP is looking for is someone to tell her what to eat. I get that.

Yes, this is true. It is easier to follow a plan than to try to figure it out on my own,

The beauty of figuring out your own is you learn so much about your current eating habits. You figure out where your mistakes are. You figure out foods that are filling for you (it won't be the same list for everyone). This gives you a solid foundation for maintenance.
  • burnsda1
    burnsda1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i'm doing almased. I like it a lot. For me portion controls and measuring would work for only a little while and then I could get too busy hectic whatever and I'd fall off. I can do the almased. I can do it when I travel because I do travel quite frequently. I've the portable packets and stuff. All I can say everyone needs to do what's right for them but it's working for me. I did have significant weight loss the first week I did it. But that's drinking three shakes a day and not eating food per se. But I ate raw vegetables because I have a problem with getting hungry in the evening. I found it pretty easy to get through the day on it.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've had weightloss success with every commercial diet I ever tried: WW, montiac, celebrity slim and similar, low GI, VLCD you name it. I have only every had success keeping it off with mfp (1yr last year, back to losing the last few kg) maintaining the loss is far more important to me than losing it in the first place
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Da zoooone diet
  • MsWendyDarling
    MsWendyDarling Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    CICO and working out! Best thing for me!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've had temporary success with all of them but without understanding the fundamentals of weight loss and gain, I inevitably re-gained ALL (and then some) of the weight. The only thing that worked permanently for me was understanding CICO and what might cause weight fluctuations (I was a slave to that linear loss at one point) as well as having more realistic expectations for weight loss... 1-2lbs/week max.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My mother had amazing success with weightwatchers, probably because weightwatchers pointsplus is a lot like CICO in my book. They allow your favorite foods within your points.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any commercial diets, but various friends/family members have. IMO the one that has the highest success rate is Weight Watchers, as it isn't a faddish "only eat grapefruit!" type 'diet' and it has a real-life support system / accountability (if you attend the meetings) which helps a lot of people.

The diets with the biggest failure rates are the ones that are very restrictive--either severely restricting your calories, severely restricting the kinds of foods you can eat (like shakes only, etc), or both. They just aren't sustainable, and they don't teach people how to eat properly once they're done with the diet.

OP, I get the desire to make losing weight simple. But the long, messy, confusing slog of figuring out how to eat better (smaller) portions of the foods you NORMALLY eat is a better choice in the long run. Yes, there is a lot of trial and error and "uhhhh what do I eat now" moments, but in the end it is more advantageous.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I think what the OP is looking for is someone to tell her what to eat. I get that.

Yes, this is true. It is easier to follow a plan than to try to figure it out on my own,

The problem with that is when you are done with the diet you still have no idea how to eat and you will gain back any weight you might lose.

1. Enter your correct stats into MFP.
    2. Unless you have 75 lbs to lose or more, choose a goal of 1 lb weight loss per week to get your calorie goal.
    3. Start logging your food accurately and consistently, everything you eat and drink every day.
    4. Take a look at your diary after a week and see where you are wasting calories, and what foods are working. Tweak as necessary.
    5. Focus on eating plenty of veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats. I'm a fan of whole grains too, but not everyone is.
    6. Try to fit in occasional treats.
    7. Move more, whenever you can.
    8. Learn as you go!

This might not get you quick weight loss, but it will get you healthy weight loss, and a much better chance that it will stay off. Read the forum stickies too, lots of great info. :drinker:

Another treasure post. If you do #8 specifically (emphasis mine), #s 1-7 will be more successful!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    CICO is working for me.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Exactly zero have worked for me. I have tried Atkins, South Beach, Sugar Busters, Weight Watchers, IF, The Zone, The Blood Type Diet, The Insulin Resistance Diet and the Mediterranean Diet.

You know what? I lost weight on all of them........and regained weight when I crashed and burned. I also ended up with some distorted thinking about diets and how they work.

What has worked for me, is throwing away the rule book. The simplest way has truly been the best way. Figure out calorie goal, eat food (even the yummy "bad" stuff), fit it into your goal and move your body.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Exactly zero have worked for me. I have tried Atkins, South Beach, Sugar Busters, Weight Watchers, IF, The Zone, The Blood Type Diet, The Insulin Resistance Diet and the Mediterranean Diet.

You know what? I lost weight on all of them........and regained weight when I crashed and burned. I also ended up with some distorted thinking about diets and how they work.

What has worked for me, is throwing away the rule book. The simplest way has truly been the best way. Figure out calorie goal, eat food (even the yummy "bad" stuff), fit it into your goal and move your body.

Similar story here with experience in most of those diets. I have also had liposuction. All of them "worked." But not long-term. I never really learned how to eat until I entered my stats here on MFP and consistently measured and logged what I ate for several months. I lost a pound per week like clockwork. Measuring your food, logging it, and staying within your calorie goal week to week not only works, but it actually trains you how to eat for the long term. That is important because while you will likely lose weight on those 'commercial' diets, you have to remember that you need to eat almost the same way after you lose the weight to now maintain your ideal weight. Forever. The idea is simple: If you maintain a 500 calorie deficit per day (which is already provided in your calorie goal set by MFP if you select a 1-lb per week loss), you will wind up with a 3500 calorie deficit by the end of the week which results in a 1-lb loss of fat. Implementation is the hard part, but the food diary and extensive database is a great tool which allows you to select proper portions of the foods you already like to eat.

I will say that I liked The Zone the best, as I liked what I was eating and believe it did instill some long-term habits.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you gained all your fat in 2 days, don't expect to lose it that quickly.