Sugar and carbs question

Options
I'm trying to cut down on both sugar and carbs for weight loss, but should I be focusing more on not eating sugars, or carbs?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Your body breaks carbohydrates down into sugars in your body.

But complex carbs (whole grains, starches, veggies, beans) have the nice bonus of fiber and extra nutrients, and that fiber content is more filling and takes longer to digest.

So I personally would focus on cutting out simple carbs, which most often is sugary stuff. They don't keep you full for long (they are rapidly digested).
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well, from my perspective as a diabetic, I look at both. Cutting sugar (like candy, soda) will naturally cut carbs. But I have to look at the entire amount of carbs. Processed carbs like white bread, pasta, and rice really spike my blood sugar. Better to make sure any carbs you eat are more complex whole grains and such. I mean, I cut carbs and lost almost 30 lbs and didn't really calorie court without exercising so cutting carbs will help you lose weight. But I think that was also because a lot of the food I cut out was high in calories so also naturally reduced my calorie intake.
  • micaelacookie
    micaelacookie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat enough calories to begin with. I just noticed that on my nutrition I eat way too many sugars/ lots of carbs. Thank you all for answering my question though it was helpful!
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The macro targets on MFP can be considered minimums. if you are not balancing them well, just add more proteins and fats, and the carbs will come down naturally because youll run out of calories for them.
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs, they are what fuels your body. You really only need to limit them if you are diabetic.
    Weight loss requires calorie deficit, nutrition requires moderation and balance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut down on both sugar and carbs for weight loss, but should I be focusing more on not eating sugars, or carbs?

Focus on getting enough protein and healthy fats -- if you are over on carbs and still not hitting calories, you may be missing out on these. After that, I'd focus on nutrition and what makes a diet sustainable for you. Some foods with sugar (vegetables and fruit and dairy) are extremely nutritious, all carbs break down to sugar (starches are just sugars linked together). If there are some things you love that contribute sugar/carbs that you would miss a lot, but are crowding out other things you need, maybe cut down on those.

How low are you on calories? You should generally try to hit calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It's calories for weight loss.

But I try to manage "added" sugar. When I'm fat; I eat too much added sugar. If I'm going to stay thin.....I can't go back to my usual routine. Management is not the same thing as elimination....that backfires for me.

I don't manage carbs (no medical issues).....but instead focus on meeting protein & fat goals. I don't want carbs crowding these macros out.
  • micaelacookie
    micaelacookie Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote:

Focus on getting enough protein and healthy fats -- if you are over on carbs and still not hitting calories, you may be missing out on these. After that, I'd focus on nutrition and what makes a diet sustainable for you. Some foods with sugar (vegetables and fruit and dairy) are extremely nutritious, all carbs break down to sugar (starches are just sugars linked together). If there are some things you love that contribute sugar/carbs that you would miss a lot, but are crowding out other things you need, maybe cut down on those.

A lot of times when I log for the day it'll tell me I'm not eating enough, but I eat 3x a day and feel full. Maybe I'm just not eating the right foods.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good sources of protein: pork chops, eggs, cottage cheese, milk, eggs, fish, lean beef.
    Also broccoli and green leafy veggies.
    Add some snacks or make your three meals a little bit bigger.

If you are low on calories, look at this list for suggestions:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Neither.

Focus on calories. Pay attention to nutrition and enjoy your treats/favourites.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat enough calories to begin with. I just noticed that on my nutrition I eat way too many sugars/ lots of carbs. Thank you all for answering my question though it was helpful!

If you aren't eating enough calories then you aren't eating too many carbs.
    IMHO it's a bit pointless recording sugars separately at all unless you have a specific medical condition - they are just a subset of carbs.

Maybe start by thinking what you should INCLUDE in your diet rather than what to exclude?
  • Titoki1
    Titoki1 Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There's a lot of oversimplification in these replies. There's lots of research to say sugar, in particular fructose, is addictive, and encourages overeating.That's completely different from other carbs, although the more processed they are, the worse. Check out the work of Sarah Wilson and David Gillespie on this.

Adult women should have no more than 25g a day (6 teaspoons) of sugar, including fruit, according to the World Health Organisation, and the benefits aren't just weight loss - fructose has been implicated in a host of metabolic and other disorders. 25g is just a couple of pieces of fruit all up. Check out some labels and see how much is in fruit juice and 'diet' foods for example, where the fat has been replaced with sugar.

So pay attention to sugar in your stats. You'll probably find that when you stop eating excess fructose, your cravings for other foods will disappear after a few days, or weeks, of some quite painful withdrawal symptoms, and weight loss will be much easier when the cravings are gone.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Titoki1 wrote: »
    There's a lot of oversimplification in these replies. There's lots of research to say sugar, in particular fructose, is addictive, and encourages overeating.That's completely different from other carbs, although the more processed they are, the worse. Check out the work of Sarah Wilson and David Gillespie on this.

Adult women should have no more than 25g a day (6 teaspoons) of sugar, including fruit, according to the World Health Organisation, and the benefits aren't just weight loss - fructose has been implicated in a host of metabolic and other disorders. 25g is just a couple of pieces of fruit all up. Check out some labels and see how much is in fruit juice and 'diet' foods for example, where the fat has been replaced with sugar.

So pay attention to sugar in your stats. You'll probably find that when you stop eating excess fructose, your cravings for other foods will disappear after a few days, or weeks, of some quite painful withdrawal symptoms, and weight loss will be much easier when the cravings are gone.

You are misrepresenting the position of WHO.

Their statements regarding sugar are in reference to added sugars:
    MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children
    Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
  • Titoki1
    Options
    There you go OP - your gold standard as recommended by WHO is to eat no more than 25g or 6tsp of sugar a day. If you aren't aware of the sugar content of most processed foods already, have a look at a label on ketchup, for example, or even a packet of chips. And do check out Gillespie and Wilson.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

A lot of times when I log for the day it'll tell me I'm not eating enough, but I eat 3x a day and feel full. Maybe I'm just not eating the right foods.

That means you are eating under 1000, and for you to be full eating that way (when high on sugar/carbs) is concerning and suggests to me that you are at the least missing out on fat and protein. You also don't seem to be eating particularly filling foods (unless fiber is also quite high?), so I wonder about the lack of appetite. Any chance you can open your diary or tell us how long it's been?
  • Titoki1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's a lot of oversimplification in these replies. There's lots of research to say sugar, in particular fructose, is addictive, and encourages overeating.

Maybe you should focus on OP's specific question. She is undereating. Her problem, probably, is that she needs more calories, and specifically more protein and fat. If she gets enough protein and fat, she may not have too many carbs, but at this point we have absolutely no reason to assume that she is having an issue with overeating fructose.

The specific question I saw was: "I'm trying to cut down on both sugar and carbs for weight loss, but should I be focusing more on not eating sugars, or carbs?"

I overlooked her second post, so if she's not hitting her calories, then you're right, she probably isn't overeating, and there's good reason for concern there. OP, please hit your calories with a mix of your choice of high-quality sources of protein, vegetables, legumes, dairy and fruit!
    And no, it's not addictive, or why do Americans consistently eat less fruit -- an excellent source of fructose -- than is recommended?

There is sound evidence to suggest fructose acts on the brain in the same way as other addictive substances, but you can research that yourself, and your comment about Americans and fruit, fruit not being addictive, and fructose not being found alone suggests you need to read some more about this, so I'll let you Google. Glucose = not addictive (is fuel for body and brain, as we know). Fructose = addictive.

As for Americans, I'll ignore the fact that packaged convenience foods are available every 10 paces and point out that because fruit is packaged with fibre and water, it's difficult to overeat (except grapes and other very sweet fruits are very easy to pop like candy). There is the fructose of 3-4 apples in 8oz of juice, for example. Who's going to eat 3 apples at once?
    Adult women should have no more than 25g a day (6 teaspoons) of sugar, including fruit, according to the World Health Organisation This is just a lie. Where did you find it? The WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories (200 calories if one is on a 2000 cal diet, or 50 g) from ADDED sugar, and further recommends no more than 5% if that is feasible (or 25 g). BUT, this does not, absolutely does not, include fruit, and their explanation is due to the extra calories (often from fat as much as sugar) found in foods with lots of added sugar.

You're right, I put "including fruit", when I was thinking of Wilson's stance on fructose, not WHO's (Wilson approves of the guidelines but generally recommends to include fruit in the totals, since it does contain fructose). (Also, lol, you suggest I'm lying to advance an evil healthy-eating agenda and suggest ways to try and improve someone's health after they've asked for it? How dastardly of me.)

But I'm not going to war over 2 pieces of fruit (roughly 25g sugar). We eat far too much fructose. Think of how sweet apples are these days compared to the tart, now heritage varieties available several hundred years ago. We're engineering our fruit to be sweeter, and we're hardwired to crave sugar because it's the best way to store fat, and there's no appetite off switch for fructose. What I've said here are excellent guidelines for everyone to follow in general daily life, so if anyone else has been introduced to this topic, I definitely recommend reading Gillespie & Wilson, and checking out the fabulous That Sugar Film which makes our global fructose problem approachable and fun. Good luck OP.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fructose does the same thing to your brain that petting puppies and hugging a child does, so if all of that is addictive I need to seriously get some counseling.

OP, my humble suggestions:
    1. Make sure you are logging accurately. What is your weight doing right now? If you are not losing weight, and you have been eating this way for more than a couple of weeks, you are probably eating more than you think. This is really common.
    2. Make sure you are using accurate entries in the database, many are user entered and really wrong.
    3. If you really are undereating and losing weight, please do back to @RodaRose post and start getting yourself up to your calorie goal.
    4. As others have mentioned, it's easier to work on adding good stuff into your diet rather than cutting out bad. If you focus on adding more protein, healthy fat, and fiber into your diet it will naturally start to crowd out the other stuff until you get your numbers where you want.
    5. I don't pay any attention to my sugar number, I focus on hitting my protein and fiber goals. And all the other numbers kind of work themselves out (most of the time). If for whatever reason you want to eat less sugar, there's no harm in that, but don't stress out over it or undereat in order to do it, cause that's not healthy either.

Good luck!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There's a lot of oversimplification in these replies. There's lots of research to say sugar, in particular fructose, is addictive, and encourages overeating.

Maybe you should focus on OP's specific question. She is undereating. Her problem, probably, is that she needs more calories, and specifically more protein and fat. If she gets enough protein and fat, she may not have too many carbs, but at this point we have absolutely no reason to assume that she is having an issue with overeating fructose.

The specific question I saw was: "I'm trying to cut down on both sugar and carbs for weight loss, but should I be focusing more on not eating sugars, or carbs?"

I overlooked her second post, so if she's not hitting her calories, then you're right, she probably isn't overeating, and there's good reason for concern there. OP, please hit your calories with a mix of your choice of high-quality sources of protein, vegetables, legumes, dairy and fruit!
    And no, it's not addictive, or why do Americans consistently eat less fruit -- an excellent source of fructose -- than is recommended?

There is sound evidence to suggest fructose acts on the brain in the same way as other addictive substances, but you can research that yourself, and your comment about Americans and fruit, fruit not being addictive, and fructose not being found alone suggests you need to read some more about this, so I'll let you Google. Glucose = not addictive (is fuel for body and brain, as we know). Fructose = addictive.

As for Americans, I'll ignore the fact that packaged convenience foods are available every 10 paces and point out that because fruit is packaged with fibre and water, it's difficult to overeat (except grapes and other very sweet fruits are very easy to pop like candy). There is the fructose of 3-4 apples in 8oz of juice, for example. Who's going to eat 3 apples at once?
    Adult women should have no more than 25g a day (6 teaspoons) of sugar, including fruit, according to the World Health Organisation This is just a lie. Where did you find it? The WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories (200 calories if one is on a 2000 cal diet, or 50 g) from ADDED sugar, and further recommends no more than 5% if that is feasible (or 25 g). BUT, this does not, absolutely does not, include fruit, and their explanation is due to the extra calories (often from fat as much as sugar) found in foods with lots of added sugar.

You're right, I put "including fruit", when I was thinking of Wilson's stance on fructose, not WHO's (Wilson approves of the guidelines but generally recommends to include fruit in the totals, since it does contain fructose). (Also, lol, you suggest I'm lying to advance an evil healthy-eating agenda and suggest ways to try and improve someone's health after they've asked for it? How dastardly of me.)

But I'm not going to war over 2 pieces of fruit (roughly 25g sugar). We eat far too much fructose. Think of how sweet apples are these days compared to the tart, now heritage varieties available several hundred years ago. We're engineering our fruit to be sweeter, and we're hardwired to crave sugar because it's the best way to store fat, and there's no appetite off switch for fructose. What I've said here are excellent guidelines for everyone to follow in general daily life, so if anyone else has been introduced to this topic, I definitely recommend reading Gillespie & Wilson, and checking out the fabulous That Sugar Film which makes our global fructose problem approachable and fun. Good luck OP.

Sugar doesn't make you permanently store excess fat outside of the context of caloric intake. That is a complete misunderstanding of physiology. Excess calories from any macro lead to the net storage of excess fat.

That Sugar Film is not a good source for anything other than misinformation and fear mongering.

What you've said here are not excellent guidelines for people to follow, because you are demonizing fruit, a perfectly healthy, nutritious food and you are imparting misinformation that is not based on a real understanding of how the human body works.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

There is so much nope, and so much irony in this post, I'm not sure where to start.

You start off by suggesting that OP please hit your calories with a mix of your choice of high-quality sources of protein, vegetables, legumes, dairy and fruit!

There is no sound evidence supporting any of the claims you've made that sugar in any form, is physiologically addictive. It is you who needs to do more research, but rather than randomly googling things or watching agenda driven propaganda like That Sugar Film, perhaps try looking at Google Scholar for peer reviewed literature which supports the claims you are making. Oh and make sure while you are at it that you find studies on humans that support the claim that sugar is physiologically addictive...

You wrap up then by suggesting that we are consuming far too much fructose, after the initial suggestion that OP eat more fruit. Oh and I love the sneering at genetic modification thrown in for fun - good work!