The struggle is real-Losing weight after having a baby

Options
Ugh!

So, my daughter is 10 months old. I've been struggling to find the time and motivation to exercise. I try to eat healthy, make better choices, and only indulge occasionally. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember and right before I found out I was pregnant I had reached my goal weight.. Then, SURPRISE! Prego! It was my fear that I'd gain a bunch of weight and not be able to lose it again. Well, I lost about half of it and have now hit a wall. I'm 5'10 and would like like be at 170lb-180lbs. I'm realistic! I have about 20-25lbs to lose to reach that, but I just can't seem to get under 200. My fiance works crazy long, hard hours. He's gone from 5:30AM to sometimes 7:00PM. I'm pretty much a single mommy during the week. He's exhausted when he gets home and we have very little time to spend together as a family. Lilith (my daughter) goes to bed around 7:30PM. I'm already up at 5:30AM and am afraid if I get up any earlier and limit my sleep even more my co-workers, friends, family, will hate me, because I'll be a bear! I guess I choose sleep over losing the extra weight.. The limited time we do have I'd like to spend with my fiance/daughter, rather than running to the gym. I don't know.. Maybe, I'm just making excuses.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do from home that may not take a long time and will show results? I get discouraged easily and tend to obsess over my diet/food. If I don't see any change/results I get incredibly disappointed and lose focus. I'm incredibly too hard on myself. My goal is to lose the 20-25lbs so I can have the 5-10lbs of excess skin I have on my abdomen removed from losing over 100lbs around 7-8 years ago, which I had scheduled for February 2016, but found out I was pregnant in November 2015 and had to cancel.

HELP! :(

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    With all the love in the world (really please picture a very large hug), yes you're making excuses. But that's what we all do, acknowledging it is the first step kinda like AA.

I nanny for twins, I know it's not the same as the all encompassing kind of lifestyle of an actual parent but I do overnight care 5 days a month so I know what the tired feels like and there are two of them to contend with. They're 12mos now.

From day one, we go outside 2 times at minimum except for extreme weather. I put them in, give a few toy options that are attached to the gear and GO. I walk fast when I want a challenge and I go slow when it's been a rough morning and I just needed fresh air.

I do youtube workouts while they nap. Usually very short ones, like 10-15 mins tops. I don't always do it during both naps but at least once per day. You can do something like a cycle of squats, push-ups, lunges, etc. on the floor by her as she plays. Hold her to add a challenge! The twins love when I bench press them haha.

Idk, I know it's tough work. But I also know it's possible to be active as heck with babies around. Just gotta be proactive and manage your time well. A chore can wait while you workout (though for me it's the opposite, get the work done and earn that paycheck then use whatever break I have to exercise).
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Oh and then of course you can control 100% of what you eat during your busy days. Focus in filling foods like protein and fiber so you can eat less but stay full. Snack often if you need to, I keep a bowl of measured out almonds and have 2-3 every hour or two :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Prioritize your sleep first. Exercise when you can manage it (but don't stress about it) and most importantly, count calories. Let yourself lose these last pounds slowly, you're worth it.
  • laurenj915
    laurenj915 Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I agree with the above. There are so many 15 minutes HIIT workouts on You tube. I have 3 kids, ages 5, 3, and 1. None of my kids are in school and my husband works 24 hour shifts. I do a 15 minute workout basically every single day. I have been doing that for 5 years. I have lost all my pregnancy weight after each pregnancy doing those workouts and eating less calories. You can do it.

Sit your daughter down in a booster chair with some cut up fruit and let her watch you workout. Usually, my one year old will stay happy for the 15 minutes. Sometimes she cries for the last 5. I talk to her and make faces trying to cheer her up but push through until the end. For 23 hours and 45 minutes a day I am doing everything and anything for these kids, I need 15 minutes to do something for myself.

Zuzka Light and Kelsey Mead have 12-20 minute workouts on youtube. Many of them require no equipment.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet, and sleeping when you can. You can lose weight without exercise. So I'd prioritize diet and sleep (poor sleep causes hikes in cortisol, which can make losing weight harder, not to mention you will be too worn out to want to be active) and then try and take a walk each day or do a 15 min workout video here or there when you are up for it.

Weight loss is not linear, so don't beat yourself up over stalls etc. just focus on meeting your caloric and macro goals, and the rest will be much easier as your daughter gets older and begins wanting to play tag 10 hrs out of every day (mother of a two-year-old here).

We lose weight to be happier and healthier, so don't sacrifice your health (sleep) or happiness (not spending time with your fiancé/daughter) to drop a few lbs, as that sort of defeats the point :)

Feel free to add me :) it's tough being a mom to a young child and trying to get fit.
  • olwen8
    olwen8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I friend requested you as we are in the same boat
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others and the hugs. Basically since it's mainly diet (and the calorie deficit) there is no reason you can't succeed. Plus all the mentions here on workouts that can be done at home. Literally there are 1000's of examples all over the internet, Instagram, youtube, of moms who got fit again with many kids at home doing various home workouts that cost little to nothing, just your own motivation.

Also, your motivation comes from within, from your own action, from your own steps. Most of us don't feel motivated, but because we push though and do it anyway, we get results and the motivation comes from our own lives changing. You need to muster it up and make it happen.
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same. Mine is 12 months and i have a toddler. I am stuck in the 140s ..barely sleep.because baby still breadfeeds during the night, hardly motivated , father works and comes home at night, its hard. I am.planing to try to go to gym at 8 am leave the kids with my mom who is baby sitter.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Remember you don't necessarily have to exercise, you can lose weight through diet alone.

Still, making time to exercise will only help give you a positive self image and provide so many other benefits. If you Google "ideal fit 15 day challenge YouTube" you'll find my favorite (free) workouts (13 in total), they are all less than 20 minutes and I've had great success with them, just repeating the same 13 workouts over and over and over. In fact I credit those workouts to re-igniting my interest in fitness after having my babies.

I am pregnant now with number four; my three other kids are four, three, and 17 months. I've never been busier in my life but I carve out that 20 to 40 minutes to go in my basement and exercise; I make it the day's first priority above all the other chores and housework and I never regret it. Counting calories is also indispensable- find a moderate deficit that works for you, eat foods you ENJOY, and drink lots and lots of water.

Lastly, add me as a friend! I will be doing the postpartum thing in July too! Until then just trying to stay fit and healthy through the end of this last pregnancy :)