How to figure out my activity level

Options
VirtualMellie
VirtualMellie Posts: 68 Member
I get in about 12000 steps a day that's including 20-30 mins of exercise here in my home, 5 to 6 days out of the week. I'm not sure what my activity level would be here on the app. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't include your exercise in that. Log it separately...if it's cardio or something. I get 12k and fit nicely into the "lightly active" category. They are not very "active steps" though because I'm a teacher. I'd say try lightly active then add in your exercise calories burned separately.
  • hkjones22
    hkjones22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually base the activity level off of occupation. So desk job = sedentary, nurse = moderate, personal trainer = active. Something like that! Feel free to add me if you are looking for MSP friends to keep each other accountable! <3
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    hkjones22 wrote: »
    I usually base the activity level off of occupation. So desk job = sedentary, nurse = moderate, personal trainer = active. Something like that! Feel free to add me if you are looking for MSP friends to keep each other accountable! <3

Even then it can be a bit off, most people tend to way overestimate what they do. So that can be a little tricky!

I've actually never considered activity as part of my overall plan. Instead I see it as kind of a bonus. It's much easier to create a dietary deficit generally, over an exercise one.

• bbell1985
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »

Even then it can be a bit off, most people tend to way overestimate what they do. So that can be a little tricky!

I've actually never considered activity as part of my overall plan. Instead I see it as kind of a bonus. It's much easier to create a dietary deficit generally, over an exercise one.

Your activity level plays a huge role not only in TDEE, but in your NEAT-which is what MFP bases your calorie goal of off. It is pretty important. It's not just a bonus. Increasing NEAT, that's a bonus perhaps. You need to have an idea of your daily activity level
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Your activity level plays a huge role not only in TDEE, but in your NEAT-which is what MFP bases your calorie goal of off. It is pretty important. It's not just a bonus. Increasing NEAT, that's a bonus perhaps. You need to have an idea of your daily activity level

Those are just estimates at best. You CAN absolutely figure out your maintenance from diet alone (that's exactly what I do).
    In any case all of the "exercise calories", screw people up far more than they help them in my opinion. How many threads pop up everyday cause someone can't actually figure out their TDEE accurately?

Since TDEE is one half of the most common problem (people way overestimating), I'd cut it out years ago and never looked back.

Edit: Not to say TDEE isn't important, but it's MORE important if you're already very lean. Most people trying to mess with TDEE as opposed to a straight deficit, when starting out; just tend to run into a lot of problems/complications from that.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Those are just estimates at best. You CAN absolutely figure out your maintenance from diet alone (that's exactly what I do).
    In any case all of the "exercise calories", screw people up far more than they help them in my opinion. How many threads pop up everyday cause someone can't actually figure out their TDEE accurately?

Since TDEE is one half of the most common problem (people way overestimating), I'd cut it out years ago and never looked back.

We are not talking about "exercise calories" here. Perhaps you are confused. You figured out something that works for you, but your daily activity level still comes into play obviously.