Obsessed with weighing myself

Options
I know it's not good to weigh myself everyday. Even with knowing that I still do. I will weigh myself 10 times a day. Every time I'm near my scale I will weigh. I get discouraged when it goes up, knowing it's going to at 8pm. I just don't know how to stop. I don't want to be obsessed with the number on the scale. Any tips? Anyone else do this?

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think everyone does it in the beginning, even if they know that their daily activities (eating, drinking, not using the restroom in the last few hours) influence the number greatly. The important part is that you are aware of the existence of these factors and don't allow the result to screw with your progress, even if it causes a little anxiety.

That being said, if you really want to fix it, place yourself in situations where you don't have access to the scale. Get out of the house more, put the scale in a timed safe/leave it with a friend that you see weekly, or just throw it out entirely and resort to measuring your body fat percentage once a month. You could also just not weigh yourself. It's a habit you can break just like any other.
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had to have my husband hide every scale in my house 2 weeks ago because I was just like you. The first week I panicked every day like an addict. I didn't know how to think of myself if I didn't have that piece of information. Scary. Break the addiction. Get rid of your scale and find a doctor's office, gym or trusted friend to weigh you on occasion. Good luck!!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Understand that the scale is actually a pretty awful tool for gauging progress. Most people it takes weeks and months to see progress.
    It takes a little bit to "unplug" yourself from the scale. So many people go crazy over it, and really for no good reason!

You're going to fluctuate hour to hour and even day to day. Generally I pick the same time and weigh then (like a Monday morning or something).

Get your diet right, and the scale will eventually follow.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide it and designate a specific day/time to weigh.

Weighing once a day is fine; anything more than that is useless, as your weight fluctuates now that you have food/liquid in your system. The key is to watch the overall trend (4-6 weeks) rather than between two consecutive points.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's tough because not using the scale was what got me to the point of despair. Then I had to ponder for a month to get back on it and decide it was time to change. Now I weigh in on Saturday morning on 2 different scales. An old fashioned one and a digital one. You have to fall into a routine that makes sense to you!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    When i was losing weight i weighed myself many times a day. It helped me understand how my weight fluctuated throughout the day. I still weigh myself a few times a day...i don't see the sense in saying "it's bad to do" if you're mentally weak i guess it is.
  • jdevergillo7
    jdevergillo7 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing! A .2 gain would make me crazy for the day and cause me to not eat how I should (very low calories) and then a .2 loss I was the happiest girl in the world and would think so highly of myself. .2 Pounds controlled my mood. I had to have my roommates hide it about a year ago and now that I moved out I don't have one. A small gain or loss should not cause dysfunction in your life. If you are trying to lose weight stick with every two weeks and have someone hide it. Also make sure you weigh yourself at same time and with same amount of clothes or none lol. Message me if you need anything else :)
  • Pinkpanther_15
    Pinkpanther_15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words, and support. ❤️
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I use a trending app called Happy Scale to log the weight to better understand how my weight fluctuates.

^^^this
    Love happy scale weighing myself daily has definitely helped motivate me and keep me in check
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OP I weigh every time I pass my scale too lol....but I try to refocus when I see gains and use it as motivation to keep going. I try not to obsess but in some weird way it fascinates me to see the normal ebb and flow of the day :D
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring tape too and log your cm or inches.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Put the scale in the garage or a hard to get to place and forget about it for a couple of weeks.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Try to think it through. During the day food and liquid comes in and goes out of your body all the time. Your weight during the day is completely meaningless.

Weighting every morning, naked after toilet is not a bad thing. This weight​ is more relevent.
    I do this in order to see my fluctuations (I use a weight trending app, Libra).
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Get off the scale! You will go nuts !
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self every other morning roughly but I wouldn't class my self as obsessed..I don't panic if I see the number go up. I'm just interested in the fluctuations.

No offence, you sound like you are a bit obsessed with the scales! I would suggest looking in the mirror every so often for progress and only weighing yourself weekly (hide the scales in a cupboard you don't normally go in!)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with the scale. What helped me was finding other ways to track my progress, like measuring inches, finding a piece of clothing in my closet that was just a tad too tight and trying to fit in it, etc.

I still weigh myself, but only on the 1st of every month. FOR ME, It is much more exciting to get on the scale once a month and see a large change, rather than teeny tiny little changes on a daily basis.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Seek some professional help.