Do any of you eat whatever you want to get the weight off, and will worry about nutrition later?

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been going back and forth between calorie counting and Weight Watchers since the first of the year. I just don't think WW is going to work for me, as I find it to be really restrictive (a 150 calorie protein bar is 1/4 of my daily WW points??). I have only ever been 10-12 lbs over my ideal weight, so it's not as if I have a long way to go. But the problem (I think) is that I am focusing too much on nutrition, eating the way I think I should be eating, and leaving little room for the things I really want to be eating.

So my question is: do you think it is a bad idea to eat whatever you want/desire as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day? Get the weight off first and focus on nutrition later?

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yup. I only have 10/15lbs to my goal. Im just being meticulous about my logging and staying under calories. I will play around with macros/micros in after a couple months of logging.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I make sure I hit my micros everyday, otherwise it will affect my work out the next day. Saying that though, I do eat what I want. Today I've had lindt chocolate, oreos and gummy worms along with micro nutrient dense foods. I loosely watch my macros, I try to hit at least 70 - 80 grams of protein, but really don't care where the fat and carbs fall.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I watch my protein minimums to avoid complications. When I wasn't getting enough my nails got brittle. It took months to rehabilitate them.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think about this all the time. I'm also about 11lbs from goal. I'm also feeding a family. 'nutrition' had always been very difficult for me to understand. I think the best advice is start doing one thing and it will eventually cascade into a series of healthy choices.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I found eating mostly nutrient dense foods most of the time with a small allowance for treats works. It means if I want something I can have it if I've decided it's worth the calories
  • samfday
    samfday Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want within my calories, but I've found that what I want had changed as I've continued to lose weight. These days I'd take a fresh cooked meal over pizza any day, but every once in a while I really want a couple of slices of cheesy goodness so I have it, and just make sure the rest of my meals that day are much smaller than normal!

I don't focus on macros at the moment but I do eat healthily most of the time (for me that means freshly prepared food which is low in sugar)
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nope. The consumption part is the nutrition part.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be fit and healthy. While there is wriggle room for treats I do put care into what I eat to meet my nutritional needs first and foremost.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup. If I have a tight calorie budget I am going to be careful how I spend it. Essentials first.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You'll find a balance as you get used to it. I do sacrifice nutrition a bit when I'm in a deficit-for example I eat less fruit and skip the avocados/hummus so that I have room for dessert. But I still include lots of veggies, some fruit, plenty of fiber etc. Eating this way actually helps to maintain the deficit since I'm not as hungry. So, yes, calories first. But I wouldn't completely dismiss nutrition in the meantime.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    When I started out with MFP I focused on calories, as this is what made me fat in the first place, however now I have a good handle on portion sizes and calorie control I'm working on my macros and micros. It's a work in progress trying to find my personal preference for satiety and nutrition in a sustainable way but I'm definitely far better than I was this time last year :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    But the problem (I think) is that I am focusing too much on nutrition, eating the way I think I should be eating, and leaving little room for the things I really want to be eating.

So my question is: do you think it is a bad idea to eat whatever you want/desire as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day? Get the weight off first and focus on nutrition later?

I think it's a bad idea to see these as conflicting goals. You should be able to have a nutrition plan that works with what you like to eat, and if it does not it's possible it's too restrictive.

That said, I think it can work, depending on personality, to focus on just cutting calories first. You may find that eating more nutritious foods (depending on what you mean by that) helps you feel satisfied on fewer calories or you may find that you are fine just eating less so that improving nutrition is a wholly separate goal.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yes....and no. :D

I do eat whatever I want. I find ways to fit my cravings into my days and allow myself to have a dessert every night.

But, I am also remaining aware of my macros and trying to meet those goals as well.

For example, if I have not met my protein goal for the day and it is dessert time, I may opt for some Halo Top or peanuts and chocolate chips, instead of popsicles or mug cakes. I will get more protein from the Halo Top or peanuts to get me closer to meeting that macro.

But, there are some days where I just want X and it may not help me meet my macros, but I would rather fit X into my day than eat 500 calories while trying to avoid a 300 calorie treat.

It is just a learning process to find your individual "groove". I just knew going in to this that I couldn't restrict anything. I have tried doing that too much in the past and it always lead to failure. So, everything I enjoy is on the table as an option, I just have to figure out how to work it into my day or what to save for a special occasion.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I worry about nutrition and sanity so for me personally I like to get about 80% of my calories from nutrient dense foods. If I have a one-off day where I eat a lot of empty calories I don't stress about it either though.