Again.....and again.....and again - HELP!

Options
Like so many others using this website I too have won a medal for losing and then regaining the weight. "Playing" around with 150 pounds is nothing to snivel at and I, and perhaps you, are not getting any younger.
So....I'm looking for some help here folks. I've never, EVER, reached out for support online so this is a very new concept for me.
I live alone, no pets, so have become a eating hermit.
Well, that's it in a nutshell.
I appreciate any connections to help me STAY on track.
Thanks!

Replies

• jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are lots of supportive people here. I am 67 and have been dieting since I was 16. I have lost and regained the weight numerous times, but with the help of the support here I am hoping to learn to stabilize once I reach my goal.
    I am retired, so don't get a lot of social interaction either. Just stop buying the bad stuff! I now allow myself Jello sugar free pudding three times a week. You can do it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Well, there is not much to say after @Spliner1969's account of what worked for him- a good well thought out reasonable approach.

One thing he mentioned but didn't elaborate on is that MFP gives you your deficit without including exercise.
    If you do exercise, eat back those calories, even if it is just purposeful walking. A great exercise for anyone.

Start by eating back a percentage of those calories, all burns from websites and devices are estimates and you will have to work out your burn by adding and subtracting calories until you find the number that keeps you losing at your goal.

Stay steady and consistent. It doesn't happen overnight, but given time you will reach your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Well, there is not much to say after @Spliner1969's account of what worked for him- a good well thought out reasonable approach.

One thing he mentioned but didn't elaborate on is that MFP gives you your deficit without including exercise.
    If you do exercise, eat back those calories, even if it is just purposeful walking. A great exercise for anyone.

Start by eating back a percentage of those calories, all burns from websites and devices are estimates and you will have to work out your burn by adding and subtracting calories until you find the number that keeps you losing at your goal.

Stay steady and consistent. It doesn't happen overnight, but given time you will reach your goal.

Cheers, h.

Good advice, and yea I didn't elaborate but I did the same. I ate back 50% of what the app I was using calculated I was burning on top of my 2lb/wk deficit (in retrospect I lost weight too fast, which probably contributed to my injury), so MFP set me at around 1700 cals a day, then I walked around 5 miles a day for up to 1000 cals. I figured it was way overestimated so I ate back 400-500 of those calories and steadily lost weight at 1.5-2lbs/wk rate. It was a total of 126 lbs lost when I stopped and over a hundred of those pounds were in the first year. I'm tall so I wasn't restricted as much as shorter people even at a steep deficit. I guess I had that going for me. After almost a year in maintenance now, I eat about 2600 cals a day and still work out 5 days a week for about 90 minutes pretty hard. For maintenance I figured in my exercise to my daily calories and I don't add any exercise calories on top of that (because it's included in the 2600). Been working well.
  • PGMGO62
    PGMGO62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anybody heard of simply eating your goal maintenance weight for the entire process of losing? It seems reasonable.....it would take a long time. The good thing is you will be used to living at your maintenance weight. Makes sense....
  • megnolia82
    megnolia82 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request. I am online every day and enjoy commenting and getting comments so I'd be happy to share the journey with you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    PGMGO62 wrote: »
    Anybody heard of simply eating your goal maintenance weight for the entire process of losing? It seems reasonable.....it would take a long time. The good thing is you will be used to living at your maintenance weight. Makes sense....

Being small, older, and at the top end of my BM, when I started, my starting calories for 1 lbs a week were 1200. Half way along or so my calories for losing .5 lbs a week were 1200, and at the end my maintenance calories were 1200.

It was a loss of approx 30lbs and took 1 year. It is slower eating to ones maintenance weight because you end up with minimal calories as a deficit.

I ended up doing it that way because any alternative would have been unhealthy.
    I did eat back all exercise calories, except the last 5 lbs- I dropped them by 50 cals just to keep the scale moving.

If one does the normal deficit level one generally gets to a point where calories are less than those needed for maintenance, and then ups them by 250 or so for maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • PGMGO62
    PGMGO62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks....so it clearly does make sense, and it works. It's clear I have to be patient......slow and steady wins the day.....
  • MikiBellah68
    MikiBellah68 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.