Tips for portion awareness rather than calorie and macro counting

Options

Replies

• Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the whole "Palm/fist" sizing. I slice of Kraft American cheese is about the size of my palm so that would be a portion? How does that translate to meat? Would a portion be any thickness as long as it's palm sized? So a 3" thick filet mignon would be equal to a slice of deli meat?

I think weighing is easy and when you practice enough you can guesstimate in restaurants.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation Eating Well booklet (free download) gives some eyeballing ideas about portion sizes https://bhf.org.uk/publications/healthy-eating-and-drinking/eating-well

Sadly a portion of cheese is small box of matches size, not the size of your palm :-(

kzs2fgvpvf8r.png

I suggest trying weighing your portions out for a few weeks until you get a feel for them as others have suggested,
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If that type of eating worked for me, I would probably not be here, lol.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree with weighing different foods to find out the appropriate portions. I'm vegan but I know for me a protein like black beans is different from a more concentrated one like tofu. A starchy vegetable like butternut squash is different from a bunch of raw spinach. Even whole grains--brown rice and quinoa are different obviously.

But putting that aside for a second, one neat trick I've heard is that people simply eat less in general when eating off a smaller plate. So I'm seeing if I'm happier with my smaller portions on a little plate, as opposed to having them look lonely on a big plate, which might leave me feeling deprived.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Let's say I wanted to lose a little weight and keep some reasonable macros... But I wanted to do it with portion awareness rather than calorie and macro counting. Are there any tips or guidelines?

I do this when not logging, but rather than focus on numbers like you give I just got a sense of how much for various protein sources and higher cal carb sources and fats and use that.

Meals (well, when I'm not low carbing, which I am now) = protein, veg, starch, some fat for cooking and/or accent. I am aware if the protein is lower or higher cal (shrimp vs. pulled pork) and tend to compensate in some way, either at that meal or another. For treats I'll look at calories and have an idea of how much fits in a normal day (but won't always have something). Fruit exchanges with treats or with starches.

I don't find the hand measures useful, personally, but that doesn't mean you won't.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't like the way they treat potatoes. Instead of a "whole grains" category, I use "starch" and include potatoes there, like the UK government suggests in their Eatwell Guide

This is what I do too. It's how I grew up thinking about it, and weird that the US guidelines do not. (Corn, peas, grains, tubers, beans and lentils = starch.) Of course now I'd say beans and lentils could be starch or protein, depending on the meal, but growing up we did not do vegetarian, and my parents still seem to think a dinner without meat is weird (breakfast or lunch, sure, as there were eggs and peanut butter).

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    The British Heart Foundation Eating Well booklet (free download) gives some eyeballing ideas about portion sizes https://bhf.org.uk/publications/healthy-eating-and-drinking/eating-well

Sadly a portion of cheese is small box of matches size, not the size of your palm :-(

kzs2fgvpvf8r.png

I suggest trying weighing your portions out for a few weeks until you get a feel for them as others have suggested,

I think that's way too general and meant for people that have very bad eating habits.

The way idea about not counting calories is to not be overthinking everything that you put in your mouth, and living a more "carefree" lifestyle. If you have to worry about fist size etc, you might as well count calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    there is a diet based on this, where you buy special containers that are supposed to help with portion control. I wouldn't pay for them personally, but I could see where weighing out some portions in the containers you have around already and getting an idea of what portion sizes look like would be a useful thing to do

I agree with some of above that when you get into "fist size" or similar type measurements there is alot of variability from person to person, so I don't feel that is super helpful. But figuring out your own more accurate portion system could work.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was very ignorant and unobservant of proper portions, so, this guide, which I saw about 7 years ago, has really helped me. Its great when cooking away from home and eating at restaurants. I was shocked at the cheese serving size and the amount of oil to use. The pack of cards thing and using the fist or palm was very helpful for veg and even for yogurt and milk. Maybe that is why my weight has been more maintainable since I saw these guides and thought about them. The guides seemed to have had the power to stick with me more than a lot of weight loss stuff.
    I think it might also benefit people who are recovering from compulsive obsessions and paranoia about food, calorie counting and weighing and measuring disorders.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I know you wanted suggestions for NOT calorie counting, but for the last year or so I have set my calories to maintenance at my GOAL weight. So although the weight-loss is much much slower, this gets me used to eating at that level. There are days when I slip up, so I try and eat a little less the next day, and follow hunger rather than having to hit an arbitrary calorie figure, as long as my weekly average is right, and I am getting the nutrients. I’m a big vegetable fan anyway so many of my meals end up mostly vegetables, with some protein and healthy fats, and then I don’t have room on the plate for starchy carbs.

This helps me get USED to the idea of eating less. In fact, this week, as I have a half marathon coming up, I am meant to be eating a bit more to help fuel my runs and I’m finding it a struggle as I don’t WANT to eat more. Something must be working!!
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    As above posters have said get some containers, I'm going to be doing this myself. Very convenient to take to work too. I'm getting these.

jf58as4br0to.jpg
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For years I kept reading about diets that didn't involve calorie counting. I'm very type a and if I couldn't do it perfectly I didn't want to do it (i.e calories eating out etc) but I finally gave in because it works!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've done it before successfully but it was ways of eating that really restrict carbs. The first round was generally following the Zone diet (years ago) where I kept carbs fairly limited and ate a serving of protein and about 2 servings of veggies at most meals (some dairy, too, but I was living in Asia where it wasn't as commonly a part of meals). I lost 10 lbs in a month and kept it off.

Then when I was trying to lose the last lbs of pregnancy weight and reverse prediabetes, I followed the Dukan Diet (low carb, low fat, high protein).

Both times it (following eating guidelines w/o weighing or logging food) worked pretty well for me in terms of weight loss, but obviously it was limiting. Not necessarily too different from what you're thinking of, though I might eat more meat. What interfered with maintenance for me several years after my Dukan weight loss was starting a medication that caused a lot of nausea and other GI issues, so I started eating more starchy foods than my normal to deal with the nausea. I gained 20 lbs over the course of a year. Then I started eating LCHF/keto but did track here on MFP. (I have found I tend to do a lot better with a lower carb way of eating but YMMV.)

On another note, my husband has lost 28 lbs without logging or weighing anything. He started working out more regularly and intensely (making workouts a nonnegotiable so they'd happen at least 3x/wk), cut out soda and most sugary treats (he'll usually go for fruit and/or yogurt instead), started eating more vegetables and protein. He would usually have a big salad w/protein for either lunch or dinner. He found his tastes changed and he really doesn't enjoy the sugary stuff as much anymore. He did recently stall for a couple of months but just started losing again. (Six lbs to his goal.)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It would be worth trying out...I would suggest logging for a few weeks while you tweak your portions to ensure you are regularly meeting calories and macros though.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    To be clear... I'm not asking for me. I'm a logger (at least when I care enough to care about such things). I believe in it, and it works well with my need for numbers/data.

But I know a few people who have asked me for tips on getting into better shape. They don't like it when I tell them it's mostly about diet. They HATE IT when I tell them to log/count calories. I was trying to give them some meaningful advice other than "Go away. When you're ready to count cals, then come back and talk to me."
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've lost weight twice in my life. Once around 2000 and once in 2014. I maintained the first weight loss for quite a while and the reasons I regained had nothing to do with how I lost it. (Disclaimer.)

This time, of course, I logged, but the first time I did not. What I did was write down what I ate in a normal day (you have to be honest), and then figured out what I could cut down/out without missing it. What I realized from that exercise was that I really didn't know exactly, because I did not eat in a structured way, so I decided to do that. I ate: (1) a planned breakfast (at the time I think it was oats and fruit and milk or yogurt, but obviously depends on the person, point was I wasn't running out the door and then grabbing a muffin or bagel later because I was hungry -- people don't have to have breakfast but I was in the habit); (2) a lunch with protein, vegetable, and usually some sort of starch (sometimes I had extra fat or fruit instead); and (3) dinner with protein, veg, and starch. I also started exercising and eventually was doing quite a lot.

Like someone else said I built meals (other than breakfast, although now I would say breakfast too) around protein and veg, and then I used starches and fat to add flavor and round out the meal. To cut calories I cut down on the latter, but didn't cut them out. I mostly cut calories by eliminating snacking other than raw veg. I had one indulgent meal a week, usually at a restaurant, sometimes a favorite delivery/take out place. I used portion size to figure out how much meat to have when I had it (I assumed 4 oz raw), and didn't log, but would buy 16 oz and cut it into 4ths or some such.

If someone asked me for advice, not sure I'd get into all that detail, as it would depend on how interested they were, but I do think for many having structure is really important and then, whether you log or not, you can cut back/adjust based on results.

I know people hate "eat less, move more," but I really do think how to do that is something people have to work out for themselves for it to really work.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    So far I like the ideas to make protein the centerpiece of each meal and to be more intentional with your eating overall (reasonable, balanced meals... no mindless eating/snacking... etc).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Why not weigh for a while so you get to know what a portion of the foods you eat is.

This is the best option!!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the healthy fats like avocado and small portion of nuts or EVOO.
    I am always trying to do what you want to do. 2 P or 3, D 2, F 2, veg - unlimited etc.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have tiny hands and "piano" fingers...long and skinny....based off of this I would starve trying to eat this way :D