Plateau

Options
Hello,
My name is Ashley. Mom of 4 boys (7,3,2,9mo). Preschool teacher.
I started my weight loss journey in February at 202 pounds. As of today I weigh 178!!!
My goal is about 150.
I've hit a bit of a plateau and it's stressing me out.
I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about an hour and with the kids that's all I can do (my 3yo really struggles being there more than an hour) and we live 2nd floor apartment so there's not much I can do at home without bothering my neighbors.
Im eating about 1,600 calories a day....trying to limit fat and carbs (hard when your on a budget and have 4 kids) and that's changed a few times too.
I do a lot of cardio and some machine.
Weight training can be a struggle as I had brain surgery in 2014 which now limits the amount of strain or specific exercises I am allowed.

Help me!!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? How are you measuring your intake?
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to limit fat and carbs to lose weight, calorie deficit is all that matters :smile: Have you recalculated calories since losing weight? Its recommended to do so for every 10 pounds lost. (Smaller body naturally burns less calories because of gravity=lower BMR, etc). Also, how long have you been at a plateau? Do you weigh all the solid food you eat with a scale?

I have 2 boys and I already can't keep up with them (they're almost 5 and 14 months) so kudos to you for having 4 of them!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Stalls happen. I tend to get them around every 20 lb lost. They last a couple of weeks, then it is back to normal. The human body is weird and does stuff like this.

A few things to think about:

1) Are you still weighing all solids and semi solids and measuring liquids? Are you still logging everything you eat? It might be that extra calories are creeping in so double check your logging and tighten it up if needed

2) Have you started a new exercise program or upped the amount of exercise you are doing? You might just be retaining a little extra water as your muscles adjust to the changes.

3) Did you re-calculate your net calorie target each 10 lb lost?

How close are you to goal? You may have to change your target weight loss to 1 lb a week instead of what you are averaging. Most people can not sustain that rapid of a weight loss and a stall may be your body's way of telling you to slow it down a little.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We would need to know your definition of plateau. A day, week, month of no weight loss. Also agree with pp that you don't need to limit carbs and fat to lose weight, although a diet higher in protein does assist in satiety.

My diet has always been fairly balanced, it's just the sheer amount of food I would consume that was the issue. Add the occasional binge session and you have steady weight gain. All I did was limit my portions and cut out the foods that triggered binges like the cookies from the store down the street. Not that cookies are bad, but those were bad for me. I could eat 3-5 in one sitting as a dessert after a full meal at 250 calories a cookie :0
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    24 pounds in 12 weeks is actually a pretty solid rate of weight loss. How long has it been since you've lost any weight? If it's just like a couple of weeks, that really not anything to worry about.
  • thelightyoubring
    thelightyoubring Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 178 for 3-4 weeks.
    I haven't stop tracking EVERYTHING I eat...I even track water...I retain water very easily so I watch that closely.
    I've re evaluated my calorie intake about 3 times. I don't do "cheat" days or binge...All of my obvious weight sits on my belly...literally the front not even my sides, so I can't afford to slip up.
    Im nowhere near close to my goal...Im currently 178 and my goal is 155 and my goal is already 1 pound per week.
    I just recently started weighing food...because, well...clothes for 4 boys or a scale...my boys needed pants... lol
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Now that you're weighing food, that's good. The closer you are to a healthy weight (and 20 pounds is relatively close, and after all, about halfway to your goal weight, which is awesome, so try not to feel too discouraged by a stall) the smaller deficit is, so you have to be very tight on logging accurately (which means weighing all solids in grams.) 3-4 weeks without seeing the scale move is sort of a while...Maybe try focusing on the food weighing for a couple of weeks and see if you any weight comes off. Also, have you taken any measurements, to see if you lost inches rather than pounds in the last month?
  • thelightyoubring
    Options
    I just started measuring myself so I have nothing to go off of atm.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a couple weeks while you get used to weighing food. Most likely not doing so was the reason you stopped losing.
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above. It's hard to "eye-ball" food and easy to underestimate especially if you are eating fast food on the daily. I have 3 kids and that includes a 3 year old like yourself. All he wants to eat is chicken nuggets and fries from McDonald's. Yea it's cheap and convenient to just say to yourself, "Ok I'll just order a big mac for dinner so I don't have to cook", but in doing so your sabotaging your diet. I pre-cook all my meals on the weekends so that I don't go through any drive-through's during work or as I've said before, when my 3 year old wants to eat McDonald's for dinner. This way I don't have an excuse. I usually get a pack of pre-seasoned chicken breast and frozen broccoli and green beans that can be steamed in the microwave. This meal is around 160 calories, easy to make and cheap too! 110 calories for each chicken breast, 25 calories for a cup of broccoli and 25 calories for a cup of green beans. You can also add black eyed peas or even brown rice to it too and you still won't be over 400 for the meal.

I was recently at a plateau myself so I understand your frustration. Except that I hadn't lost any real weight for 4 weeks. My body wasn't burning as many calories as it was before doing the same amount of exercise, for the same duration and with the same food intake than it was a few months ago. At the end of April I said enough is enough and I changed MFP's settings so that my deficit was smaller and I'm happy to report that the weight has finally moved. Hang in there. Eat clean. Make sure your at a deficit. Tighten up your food logging and be honest with yourself. You will soon hit strides.

Remember - Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! Focus on accurately measuring everything on the food scale. I'd give it another two weeks or so. If still nothing, maybe lower calories by 100. Our bodies aren't linear.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Have you thought about trying Paleo / Keto?

You *do* need good fats and they help to keep you full and burn fat. Also you need protein in certain amounts to ensure that you keep you internal organs and muscles working optimally.

Paleo / Keto is pretty easy to do while cooking for the family. I still make a carb and include in the family meal, it's just less than what they are used to.

See this website for a list: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

BTW - my water retention is way down on this diet.
  • thelightyoubring
    Options
    monstar4kc wrote: »
    I agree with the post above. It's hard to "eye-ball" food and easy to underestimate especially if you are eating fast food on the daily. I have 3 kids and that includes a 3 year old like yourself. All he wants to eat is chicken nuggets and fries from McDonald's. Yea it's cheap and convenient to just say to yourself, "Ok I'll just order a big mac for dinner so I don't have to cook", but in doing so your sabotaging your diet. I pre-cook all my meals on the weekends so that I don't go through any drive-through's during work or as I've said before, when my 3 year old wants to eat McDonald's for dinner. This way I don't have an excuse. I usually get a pack of pre-seasoned chicken breast and frozen broccoli and green beans that can be steamed in the microwave. This meal is around 160 calories, easy to make and cheap too! 110 calories for each chicken breast, 25 calories for a cup of broccoli and 25 calories for a cup of green beans. You can also add black eyed peas or even brown rice to it too and you still won't be over 400 for the meal.

I was recently at a plateau myself so I understand your frustration. Except that I hadn't lost any real weight for 4 weeks. My body wasn't burning as many calories as it was before doing the same amount of exercise, for the same duration and with the same food intake than it was a few months ago. At the end of April I said enough is enough and I changed MFP's settings so that my deficit was smaller and I'm happy to report that the weight has finally moved. Hang in there. Eat clean. Make sure your at a deficit. Tighten up your food logging and be honest with yourself. You will soon hit strides.

Remember - Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Oh I dont eat fast food. My kids rarely get to either. 90% of our stuff is homemade and I do a lot of switching and replacing componets of meals for myself (i.e last night they had bbq chicken pasta with homemade tomatoe based bbq sauce...I had bbq chicken and peas)
    We live in an apartment so pre making food isnt an option as food storage is limited. I log my food every day and I eat fairly clean already.
    I started weighing food now that I have a scale.
  • thelightyoubring
    Options
    I started losing again...just REALLY slowly...175 to 171/172
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would focus on cutting carbs. Carbs spike insulin and blocks fat burning. When I hit the dreaded plateau I go for intermittent fasting to kick start the fat burning weight loss process.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

Losing 3-4 pounds in a few weeks may seem slow, but its actually pretty good. As long as you weigh less now than 30 days ago: it is good. Just keep on, keeping on as the saying goes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I would focus on cutting carbs. Carbs spike insulin and blocks fat burning. When I hit the dreaded plateau I go for intermittent fasting to kick start the fat burning weight loss process.

they do not block fat burning, fat is lost in a deficit!. IF is also not a fat burning WOE,you still have to be in a deficit. I eat a of carbs and lost weight and a lot of fat.insulin spikes happen in healthy people without insulin issues,its normal. for some carbs may cause issues but for those who dont have diabetes,insulin resistance,PCOS or other health issues dont need to cut carbs
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Have you thought about trying Paleo / Keto?

You *do* need good fats and they help to keep you full and burn fat. Also you need protein in certain amounts to ensure that you keep you internal organs and muscles working optimally.

Paleo / Keto is pretty easy to do while cooking for the family. I still make a carb and include in the family meal, it's just less than what they are used to.

See this website for a list: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

BTW - my water retention is way down on this diet.

on keto you burn the fat you CONSUME. fat is burned/lost in a deficit no matter how you eat.paleo/keto isnt going to make a difference if you arent in a deficit,and fats for some do not keep you satiated.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options

That's really awesome, I am glad you've busted through your plateau and are seeing results again! Clearly what you are already doing is working!