A plateau this early?

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all foods/ingredients that aren't liquids? Can you open your food diary for us?
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Some of you guys are flipping out saying that .5 loss in a week isn't a plateau and I'm over here trying to figure out how you can even track such a small change to begin with. I fluctuate 5-10 lbs just depending on the time of day. If my "actual" weight (however that works) were to change by a half a pound, there'd be literally no way to calculate it. So as far as I'm concerned anything within a 5 lb margin over the course of a couple weeks is a plateau.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    Some of you guys are flipping out saying that .5 loss in a week isn't a plateau and I'm over here trying to figure out how you can even track such a small change to begin with. I fluctuate 5-10 lbs just depending on the time of day. If my "actual" weight (however that works) were to change by a half a pound, there'd be literally no way to calculate it. So as far as I'm concerned anything within a 5 lb margin over the course of a couple weeks is a plateau.

A daily weight trending app (Happy Scale for iPhone, Libra for Android) can help with stuff like that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but we're talking about a two-week slow-down in a 32 year old female. OP, are you aware that water retention in women is typically affected by where they are in their menstrual cycle?
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I put on weight last week, 0.5kg (1.2lb) after loosing steadily for 12 weeks. After reflection it was because I didn't log tightly enough, water weight maybe, TOM, injury, tiredness. So many variables but I'm not going to let it deter me and I hope you keep going, good luck :-)
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but we're talking about a two-week slow-down in a 32 year old female. OP, are you aware that water retention in women is typically affected by where they are in their menstrual cycle?

I was curious about this. I should be starting my cycle next week or so.

I am pretty meticulous about my food weighing. I use a digital scale for absolutely everything that isn't liquid or extremely straight forward (like 1 slice of bread is 120 cals, etc.)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »

I am pretty meticulous about my food weighing. I use a digital scale for absolutely everything that isn't liquid or extremely straight forward (like 1 slice of bread is 120 cals, etc.)

A slice of bread isn't as straightforward as you would think. Slices vary in size. The nutritional info should say something like a serving is 1 slice (58 g). If you weight a slice, it might actually be 67 grams. A slice from a different loaf or even a different part of the same loaf may have a different weight.
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The science behind it is homeostasis. Your body has adapted to the calories you've been feeding it these last 50 days and has regulated the amount of calories it wants to burn no matter how much activity you do. I stayed in the same deficit as I did when I first started my weight-loss journey in January and by the end of March, my weight loss chart was going crazy. Since then, there were some weeks I gained, some that I stayed within a pound and some that didn't move the scale at all. It wasn't until after 3-4 weeks later that the scale started to move again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    monstar4kc wrote: »
    The science behind it is homeostasis. Your body has adapted to the calories you've been feeding it these last 50 days and has regulated the amount of calories it wants to burn no matter how much activity you do. I stayed in the same deficit as I did when I first started my weight-loss journey in January and by the end of March, my weight loss chart was going crazy. Since then, there were some weeks I gained, some that I stayed within a pound and some that didn't move the scale at all. It wasn't until after 3-4 weeks later that the scale started to move again.

While the body does burn fewer calories when subjected to *prolonged* deficits and the body does become more efficient when repeating certain exercises, there is nothing that will cap the amount of energy a body needs regardless of how much activity is done.

A temporary stall of 3-4 weeks is perfectly normal during weight loss. This isn't homeostasis, it's just a function of weight loss not being linear.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Weight trending app or website. I weigh once a day, always in the morning, after I pee, in my underwear. Control the controllable, and chart the rest :grin:
    z0vtbk2699w4.png

Took me a few reads...LOL its the first sentence my screen jumped to and my eyes went right there
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

My breads serving size per slice is 40g, Each slice is between 63-65. Not straight forward at all. Especially at 100 calories per "40g slice"
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

Weight trending app or website. I weigh once a day, always in the morning, after I pee, in my underwear. Control the controllable, and chart the rest :grin:
    z0vtbk2699w4.png

Took me a few reads...LOL its the first sentence my screen jumped to and my eyes went right there

:laugh: Punctuation makes all the difference!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    you lost half a pound in a week...where exactly is the plateau ?

I clarified in another post that it's not technically a plateau but seems to not be accurate with my daily/weekly deficit.

It doesn't always work on a weekly basis. Since Jan this year I've had to wait for more than a month at a time for my loss to show on the scale. It has always been equal to my accumulated deficit for the month so all's good. Ideotic but good :smile: Thank goodness for spreadsheets keeping me sane.
  • 1reason2live4
    1reason2live4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had 7 pound swings in 14 days while eating the same deficit. It is frustrating to watch but long term it is just my pattern. I am down 163 pounds in 3 years with 12 to go. 7 pounds up with 12 to go is a killer to deal with mentally, but in 2 weeks I can be back to neutral. Have to be patient with yourself and look for long term biological cycles.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Not true at all. Increasing activity is one of the best ways to get out of a stall.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The science behind it is homeostasis. Your body has adapted to the calories you've been feeding it these last 50 days and has regulated the amount of calories it wants to burn no matter how much activity you do.

9i8fuxaigly2.jpg