Meal Replacement Shake

Options
Yesterday for the first time I tried a meal replacer... and it really wasn't half bad! Mixed 2 scoops of this powder with 16oz of almond milk and added about 8oz of water (I just hate the consistency of milk you are not required to do that) and drank up!

It was not only filling but I didn't have any cravings for hours. When dinner time came around and I starting thinking about cheeseburgers (my literal weakness) I mixed up another drink. Halfway through and I wasn't hungry anymore.

This obviously isn't something that you want to do everyday but I thought it was a great experience. It didn't upset my stomach at all and I loved the way it killed my cravings throughout the day.
Do any of you have any experiences with meal replacers?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    They don't really teach you portion control and aren't really sustainable, but whatever works.
  • bowens5991
    bowens5991 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They don't really teach you portion control and aren't really sustainable, but whatever works.

You're completely right! I just thought it was a cool concept. Especially for something quick on the go. I usually work 12 hour shifts in a hospital so I don't always have time for a full meal
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking meal replacement shakes for three meals a day monday through friday for about a year. Entirely sustainable. Depends on the person and the situation. This, for me, is a lot easier than meal prepping and storing food because I don't have a lot of free time and eat all three of my main meals at work. So, it works for me. There is a lot of people out there living off soylent/joylent/etc to great success as well.

Does it teach healthy eating habits? Well, just try to have a discussion what "healthy food" is and you see just how debated and up to interpretation "healthy" is. This works for me. Really well. I've lost well over 130lbs and intend to keep the same meal plan of shakes during the week pretty much permanently. I am completely content drinking them.
  • bowens5991
    Options
    I've been drinking meal replacement shakes for three meals a day monday through friday for about a year. Entirely sustainable. Depends on the person and the situation. This, for me, is a lot easier than meal prepping and storing food because I don't have a lot of free time and eat all three of my main meals at work. So, it works for me. There is a lot of people out there living off soylent/joylent/etc to great success as well.

Does it teach healthy eating habits? Well, just try to have a discussion what "healthy food" is and you see just how debated and up to interpretation "healthy" is. This works for me. Really well. I've lost well over 130lbs and intend to keep the same meal plan of shakes during the week pretty much permanently. I am completely content drinking them.

You have some great points!! I'm glad this works for you! And wow a whole year?! That's intense! What are some things you like to make you mix with?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Just water. I have a feeling the MRP you were using wasn't meant to be lived off of. Do a quick google for soylent, that is currently the most popular brand. I use a brand that has a much higher protein content. This is very popular in tech/software developer circles right now. You can check out the blendrunner website to see the 10s of competing products for nutritionally complete MRPs
  • sararodriguez71285
    sararodriguez71285 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I replace one meal a day with fitmiss delight shakes. Keeps me full for four hours and also its design specifically for women
  • bowens5991
    Options
    Just water. I have a feeling the MRP you were using wasn't meant to be lived off of. Do a quick google for soylent, that is currently the most popular brand. I use a brand that has a much higher protein content. This is very popular in tech/software developer circles right now. You can check out the blendrunner website to see the 10s of competing products for nutritionally complete MRPs

I'll have to look into that, thank you! I used Garden of Life Organic Meal
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Most meal replacement shakes you can pick up at the grocery store are not meant to replace more than one or maybe two meals per day, they are not nutritionally complete. There are a few out there that can be your whole diet, though I would guess that would be more for convenience or food intolerance issues.

Personally I love food, so losing weight by drinking shakes makes no sense. I needed to find a way to eat the food I loved and maintain a healthy weight. I do make a protein smoothie with protein powder, greens, and berries every once and awhile for convenience sake.

I think for most people, learning to eat in a way you can be healthy and satisfied with for the rest of your life is the key, and most people don't want to replace meals with shakes for the long haul. But if you're cool with that, or you have other reasons why a shake makes sense, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Just make sure you are not undereating by using shakes instead of full meals. Losing weight fast on shakes and then gaining it back fast when you get tired of them is not a good plan! Good luck :drinker: