What do you do when ypu go over your calories significantly??

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Put it behind you and get back on track. No need to do anything extra...
    Just move on.
    Like others have said, I wouldn't consider 300 calories to be a significant issue in any given day. Just get back on plan.
    tjkita wrote: »
    I usually try bolimia to get back some of the calories that I ate.

All valid responses

:huh:
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    If I go over its by 1000's of calories not a few hundred but since I'm good all the other days of the year I can do what ever I want too..
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I would just move on. 300 calories is not significant. If you are trying to lose .5 pound per week that only puts you over maintenance by 50 calories. And if you are trying to lose 1 pound per week you are still at a deficit. Don't beat yourself up about it and get back on track the next day.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    scream
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Up to you. I went over by a lot yesterday. It was a terrible no good very bad day. But it's over now, it's in the past and there's no changing it. Years ago I'd over restrict and cut calories from the next few days, have poor energy, which would cause me to skip workouts, sometimes I'd even give up completely because "well now I feel like *kitten* so I may as well just eat what I want". It became a cycle. The breaking of the cycle was in the first step: not restricting just because I went over. Last night I ate a ton of tortilla chips, didn't even have dip anymore :/ it was odd. Today the chips are gone, I got in a very nice workout, and I'm eating as per usual. No extra cuts. But this is what works for me because it ensures I keep trying.
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To qoute the great cinematic film Frozen..."Let it go! Let it go!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Also, going over by 300 calories isn't "significantly"...you're still most likely in a deficit...it's nothing at all, particularly in the big picture.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Move on. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    The way I look at it, it's no big deal. For one thing, if you're trying to lose at 1 lb/week or faster -- which amounts to a 500 cal/day deficit -- 300 calories won't bring you to your maintenance level. It's still a deficit, just a smaller one.

But really, even if you go over maintenance calories for one day, it's not worth worrying about. I think the stress of what people call guilt over eating too much one day does more damage than the eating itself. Just get back on the wagon the next day and move on.

10 lbs in 60 days is perfectly doable -- if you have enough to lose. It gets more difficult to lose at that rate if we're already at a healthy weight. I'm saying that because your face looks very thin to me and I wonder if you really have that much excess weight?

I am 155lbs and 5'1. My doctor recommended i lose 30lbs to be 120. As a healthy weight. I do have a thinner face tho.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually make up for it the next few days cause I have a bit to lose and am trying super hard at the moment to be accurate. 300 calories split over a week isnt much at all. It probably wont even affect your weightloss so dont stress but if you are just cut about 45calories a day if you're that concerned :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I would say do what helps you the most MENTALLY. If it helps to remember that you are still in a calorie deficit, just think about it that way and move on.

But I know some folks that doesn't work for - they start eating more daily, because they can tell themselves, 'it's still a calorie deficit, I'll eat better TOMORROW,' only it gets to be a habit of eating more than they planned to, you know?

For me, I would try to exercise enough calories off to make up for it in the same day/following days. That was something that helped me mentally because it kind of gave me a way to measure the calories I ate that made sense to me, and helped me to focus on when I was trying to resist eating something not good for me. Like, I would want to eat, say, a doughnut or something, but I'd check the calories and realize: I'd need to run about 1 1/2 miles to work that off...and I don't WANT to run 1 1/2 miles. So, helped me that way.

I think it helps to know if you are more motivated by avoiding bad things (like not wanting to exercise more, say), or by getting good things (rewarding yourself after sticking to the diet every day for a week, or even daily have a reward).

But all that said - if you binge eat sometimes, just asking if you've ever been tested for celiac disease? If you ever suffer from feeling tired, maybe? I only ask because celiac disease is on the rise, and causes nutrient deficiencies that sometimes make people more inclined toward binge eating as their bodies try to get more nutrients.

The problem is that eating this way can sometimes cause weight increases, if the calories are absorbed but some nutrients are not. Except many doctors are VERY out of date about celiac disease and the symptoms, and will assume that if you are overweight, you can't have this disease (which is completely false). Or that you have to have stomach pain (you don't - fatigue is one of the more common symptoms, and there are a few hundred symptoms that are possible, but many people will only have a few: this lists them). So, just saying it might be worth checking out a little bit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »
    Went over my calories by 300 including eating my extra workout ones. Should i cut back an extra 100 for thr next 3 days or try to burn an extra 300 tomorrow ? Any advice. I am new to this also and this is ky first week. I am a binger eater badly but tonight i stopped myself at what i had. Really want to make progress as im doing a personally 10lbs in 60 day challenge for June 30th startinf on May 1st ect.

Is your goal to lose, maintain, or gain?