1000-1200 a day

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    And for those suggesting that being petite is a guarantee that one will have to eat 1200 or less in order to lose...

I'm 5'2, lost >30 lbs eating b/w 1600-1900 calories. Desk job and over forty...

As a wise rabbit used to say, the winner is the one who eats the most and still loses the weight...

I wish that were the case for me. I'm 5' with a desk job and over 40 and if I ate 1600-1900 calories a day I'd gain like crazy! I'm at 1000-1200 with a little more on weekends, but no where near the 1600-1900 you are. I WISH!

It's possible to increase your NEAT and thus your TDEE with focus on getting in additional activity. When I started I was far more sedentary than I am now - now I average 15K steps/day and my appetite thanks me for it!

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    And for those suggesting that being petite is a guarantee that one will have to eat 1200 or less in order to lose...

As a wise rabbit used to say, the winner is the one who eats the most and still loses the weight...

I wish that were the case for me. I'm 5' with a desk job and over 40 and if I ate 1600-1900 calories a day I'd gain like crazy! I'm at 1000-1200 with a little more on weekends, but no where near the 1600-1900 you are. I WISH!

It's possible to increase your NEAT and thus your TDEE with focus on getting in additional activity. When I started I was far more sedentary than I am now - now I average 15K steps/day and my appetite thanks me for it!

Agreed. Activity helps so much!
  • elizabethhilbert
    elizabethhilbert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17lbs in under 2 months on 1200/day. Some days up to 1300-1400, some days closer to 1050 if I'm not too hungry. it is not too few calories as long as the foods you're eating are filling and nutritionally dense (chicken, lean turkey, eggs, greek yogurt, vegetables, fruit).
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I've lost 17lbs in under 2 months on 1200/day. Some days up to 1300-1400, some days closer to 1050 if I'm not too hungry. it is not too few calories as long as the foods you're eating are filling and nutritionally dense (chicken, lean turkey, eggs, greek yogurt, vegetables, fruit).

Our caloric intake is almost similar. Have lost 29.8 lbs since Jan 8th.
    My wt management doctor ( Chief MD at one of the largest Hospital in long Island NY) says that there is nothing like starvation
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    12774 wrote: »

Our caloric intake is almost similar. Have lost 29.8 lbs since Jan 8th.
    My wt management doctor ( Chief MD at one of the largest Hospital in long Island NY) says that there is nothing like starvation

True no one will starve on a low calorie diet. But those who chose 1200 when it is inappropriate, and then decide not to eat a decent portion of their exercise calories, will start showing signs of malnourishment.

Lethargy is one of the first- one turns into a couch potato so the workout can be done, or ones workouts are suboptimal because they still need to do everyday activities.

Other signs, and these can appear months after one starts a calorie deficit, dull, weak hair, hair loss, brittle nails, dry, dull, wrinkly skin. And these are just the outward manifestations, just think what is happening on the inside when the brain, gets fuzzy, and bones, muscles and organs are not getting the nutrients they need. Not pretty, and can cause problems that can last a lifetime.

Yes, I ate 1200. It was completely appropriate for a 54yo, 5'1 woman with a start weight of 130 lbs.
    I also ate approx 200 cals for each hour of exercise.
    It took a year to lose the 30lbs, because I was willing to let my loss be slow rather than dropping below 1200+exercise.

It was healthy, sustainable, and led to me maintaining for 7 years so far with a TDEE of close to 1600cals ( not exact because I don't count anymore)

Look to the long term rather than short term when you are planning your deficit. Weight loss by counting calories is not a quick fix, it is a learning tool for the rest of your life.

Miss that wise rabbit, h.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Yeah. That's not the norm. I'm taller, heavier and lighter than you and no way I'm losing eating 1900. Will barely lose at 1600.
  • tuffykenwell
    tuffykenwell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming for 1000-1200 per day too. I am 5'2" and 43 so that is where I need to be to lose weight.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 57 and maintaintain at 1800. Right now, all I can do is walk unfortunately(bum shoulder). I'm a hell of a lot older than anyone posting here in this thread and I bet most can eat more than me and still lose.

He or she who eats the most and still loses is the winner.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Yeah. That's not the norm. I'm taller, heavier and lighter than you and no way I'm losing eating 1900. Will barely lose at 1600.

It may not be the norm but I venture to guess that more people could still lose while eating more than they are currently, than needing to cut to below 1200. For me, rather than assuming I had to go low, I tried to figure out how I could help myself go higher. It probably helps that I don't have a long history of dieting that created some metabolic adaptation from me cutting cals too low for results. This endeavor from four years ago was my first concentrated effort in my adult life to lose weight, and maybe I'm lucky that I stumbled onto veteran posters early on here that helped me learn to work to increase my NEAT and fuel my body so that I could sustain more activity. It's a happy self fulfilling prophecy that I think many (especially petite women) dismiss without ever trying for themselves.

I know there are a lot of people who aren't interested in getting 15K steps/day, or who have medical conditions that impact the CICO equation. I'm just saying that rather than defaulting to the lowest possible calorie target, maybe more petite women (and everyone really) should work to try to "eat more to weigh less" as some of the most successful and inspirational folks on this site promote.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

I work out 5x per week at moderate intensity (60-65% of max heart rate) for 30-45 mins per day. I set mine to sedentary because of the desk job.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

It may not be the norm but I venture to guess that more people could still lose while eating more than they are currently, than needing to cut to below 1200. For me, rather than assuming I had to go low, I tried to figure out how I could help myself go higher. It probably helps that I don't have a long history of dieting that created some metabolic adaptation from me cutting cals too low for results. This endeavor from four years ago was my first concentrated effort in my adult life to lose weight, and maybe I'm lucky that I stumbled onto veteran posters early on here that helped me learn to work to increase my NEAT and fuel my body so that I could sustain more activity. It's a happy self fulfilling prophecy that I think many (especially petite women) dismiss without ever trying for themselves.

I know there are a lot of people who aren't interested in getting 15K steps/day, or who have medical conditions that impact the CICO equation. I'm just saying that rather than defaulting to the lowest possible calorie target, maybe more petite women (and everyone really) should work to try to "eat more to weigh less" as some of the most successful and inspirational folks on this site promote.

This is a very nice way to write it. I've been here awhile and though I know the basic principles of CICO will always apply, I have learned that it is not one size fits all, especially as one gets lean.

I personally have 12-14 hour days including training, and get 12k steps. I still maintain on less than you lose. Sometimes I feel like posters are just rubbing in our faces, honestly. Maybe I'm sensitive but so it is.

And when it's time for me to lose, I do choose a semi-aggressive goal, and that's okay because-it's not one size fits all.