Reversed my diabetes

Options
Deresha1977
Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
Just wanted to share a little success. This time last year i was an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic, i was on a pharmacy of pills and was told kidney failure was imminent.

Fast forward 1 year, 6 stone weight loss, quit smoking at the same time and a new love of running for fitness (5k 3x a week). This week my nurse signed me off as no longer a diabetic.

Im to follow a diabetic "diet" for the next 6 months but beyond that i've made changes to last a lifetime.

I'm nearly 40 by the way, a new way of life is always on the cards.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! Great success story :smile: The best kind.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    That's so wonderful! Congratulations!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have family members who have done the same. As soon as they went on insulin they buckled down, lost the weight, and reversed it. It can be done with diet, exercise, and by reducing or eliminating sugar consumption (for those who have diabetes or pre-diabetes). Congrats!
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing what chaging the way you eat and exercise can do! Great job! Be proud, not too may people can say that they accomplished what you have just done!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Life begins at 40 so they say, sounds like your well set up to have a good one :)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!
  • Deresha1977
    Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tried to post a photo or 2 but I don't know how :/
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Awesome dedication
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    wow there hope for me yet...you are inspirational keep it up
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!! Congratulations on your new life
  • SleepingSwan
    SleepingSwan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Now that is a good result!! Well done on turning things round. X x
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your success, many congratulations on the dedication you had. Its great you stuck to it, enjoy your new life. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    whoo hoo!!
  • moreclan9
    moreclan9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I need to hear this. I was diagnosed in Feb 2017. I have been very good at cutting out added sugar, and limiting all sugar to less than 50g per day. I have lost nearly 40 lbs. Exercising 5 days a week, for 40 minutes cardio and weight lifting.
    I am to go back this month for another blood test A1c level. I am hoping I have managed to, at least, slow this process down.
    You give me hope that it is possible.

PS- I feel GREAT!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Me too. Pre-diabetic with a prognosis of doom and gloom from my Dr at 38. I'm now 42 (nearly 43) with no sign of diabetes. 4 years low carb has saved my life.

Edited to say I don't exercise other than riding my horse once a week (more like once a month in winter), and my diabetes markers were reversed 6 months into low carb BEFORE I lost a significant amount of weight.
  • kaileekason
    kaileekason Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same position that you were. I am desperate to get off of insulin and all of the meds that I am on. Did you cut calories, carbs, both, etc? I read conflicting things about what to follow, so I consistently give up. I was reading about carb cycling as well, but again, differing opinions. Since you have been where I am at, what is your best advice regarding food?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!