What kind of impact does getting up early have on you?

Options
healthypelican
healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
I am thinking of starting my day at 5am.

-Does getting up earlier cause you to eat more, because you are awake more hours of the day?
-Do you get more done?
-What have been the pros and cons for you?
-Are you more organised?

I was thinking of spending an hour in reflection/prayer, an exercising, and the rest of the time doing chores.

Does anyone fast until a normal breakfast time of say 7:30am, or do you eat as soon as you wake up?

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 most mornings, but am usually asleep by 8:30, 9pm at the latest.

I don't eat breakfast, i drink coffee and tea all morning and don't have my first meal til around 1pm.

Thanks. After reading many of your posts, I get the feeling you and I have a lot in common. Similar heights, goal weights, location, methods of losing weight etc.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 most mornings, but am usually asleep by 8:30, 9pm at the latest.

I don't eat breakfast, i drink coffee and tea all morning and don't have my first meal til around 1pm.

This for me too except I get up at 3:45 am.

Gym by 5am. Then I have the rest of my day to do stuff.

I feel more accomplished and more motivated.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm awake and around at 5 am to make sure my husband is awake to go to work (he likes to sleep through his alarm; I don't). My hours awake are the same.

Changes:
    - My meal times are shifted back about an hour. I eat lunch 10:30-11 am, have supper 4:30 pm.
    - I go to bed 9:30-10:30 pm.

I delay my breakfast until my stomach is growly.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I get up a 3am. It's great for everything except staying up late. :smiley:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I get up at 5 on weekdays and try to be at work by 6:30. I typically just drink coffee on my way to work and don't eat breakfast until 8 or sometimes even 10 if I get busy and distracted. I have found personally that once I start eating in the morning I am just hungry, so delaying breakfast works well for me and has helped me control my calorie intake better.

I get alot more done and love getting home form work by 4, especially in the summer when I have 4 hours of daylight left. We have a small farm so there is always gardening and animal stuff to do, or I can just ride my horse.

• Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Monday through Friday I get up at 4:15 am. I spend 15 minutes with my coffee and the local news. Then I'm getting ready for work and my commute. I eat breakfast at my desk around 7:30 (yogurt or oatmeal). I like getting up early on weekends if I have an early workout planned. If I'm doing a long group ride then up early for food and the daily constitutional :D
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    What kind of impact does getting up early have on me?

This:

wyx4oln1ogya.jpg

I've tried getting up earlier than 6am but already that is a struggle for me. And when I did manage to dray my sorry self out of bed that early (regardless of when I went to bed the night before), I usually managed to injure myself in some manner because brain was absent.

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Getting up early on its own will leave me regretting getting up early. Getting up early for a workout will set me up for the day. I workout most days very early :)
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    -Does getting up earlier cause you to eat more, because you are awake more hours of the day?
    ~ Nope, I eat my breakfast, lunch, dinner and my fruit snack which I graze on all day on weekdays. Weekends are often a bit different.

-Do you get more done?
    ~ Yes

~ Pros: I'm not a morning person at all, so it gives me some extra time to get human-ready in the mornings before I see anyone. I like to do my wii fit routine in the morning. I can actually cook a breakfast in the morning if I want to. I'm not particularly rushed or hurried to get out in the morning because I have a lot of time (unless, like today, I get up late). If I do get up late, I can still do "the basics" (breakfast, shower, make lunch, etc) and get to work on time - I just have to cut out some non-essentials. I struggle if I try to "sleep in" and get a headache so ... getting up is the best option.
    ~Cons: I have to go to bed earlier. I don't sleep particularly well (not because of getting up early, just in general) so dragging myself out of bed can be pretty unenjoyable. If I have guests or am staying elsewhere it can be a bit awkward being awake. I live alone though so I'm not waking anyone up usually!

-Are you more organised?
    ~ Not really sure how to answer that one.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    What kind of impact does getting up early have on me?

This:

wyx4oln1ogya.jpg

I've tried getting up earlier than 6am but already that is a struggle for me. And when I did manage to dray my sorry self out of bed that early (regardless of when I went to bed the night before), I usually managed to injure myself in some manner because brain was absent.

You must have the same circadian rhythm as my husband. He doesn't do well with mornings, but its happily awake and productive until well after midnight. Whereas I'm usually nodding off by 9:30 or 10pm regardless of when I woke up!

Unfortunately for you guys, society looks more kindly on us early birds than you night owls, even when waking productive hours are the same, just shifted.
  • lmnop46
    lmnop46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Up at 5am, glass of lemon water, eat something small, watch tv with cup of coffee while digesting, treadmill, strength training, take shower, wash dishes, make lunch for work, feed/play with/love cat, get dressed, leave house by 7:30 to go to work.

I love getting up early. I may start getting up earlier, I just feel like I get more done. I'm refreshed after sleeping and motivated to do things. I tend to go to bed around 10-11pm, sometimes even later, so I only get 5-6 hours or sleep which I realize is "bad", but my body doesn't want to sleep any longer than that. Even on weekends, I'll stay up until midnight/1am, but I'm never up later than 6:30.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have found personally that once I start eating in the morning I am just hungry, so delaying breakfast works well for me and has helped me control my calorie intake better.

So much this. I get up between 3 and 4 most days. If I start eating, I can easily eat my days allotment before noon, and I am always so surprised because I dont feel like I have eaten much - just grazing. So I learned to postpone eating as long as possible in the morning. If I can make it til at least 7 or 8, it will be a fairly normal day. If I can push it til 10 or 11, even better (bigger dinner :) ). Drinking tea and getting distracted with work and exercise helps pass the time pretty easily without really feeling hungry. Its almost become a game - once I feel like I need to eat, i pick a time and tell myself to wait til then. Like if I am feeling hungry and the clock says 7:38am I will tell myself I can eat at 8am. Helps me to baby-step into some self-control !LOL
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Jesus what time do you go to bed??

I'm a nightowl, have been all my life. I'm most productive in the evenings, and really have to force myself to get to bed before midnight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting my day at 5am.

-Do you get more done?
    -Are you more organised?

I was thinking of spending an hour in reflection/prayer, an exercising, and the rest of the time doing chores.

Does anyone fast until a normal breakfast time of say 7:30am, or do you eat as soon as you wake up?

I'm up at 4:30 or 5:00 on weekdays.

- I have coffee around 7:00 (what time I get to work), breakfast about 9:30, lunch about 1:00, snack around 3:00 and dinner about 8:00.
    - I don't get "more" done, because I've been doing this for years.
    - Pros and cons? It's my normal.
    - More organized? Again it's no change, so it isn't more or less of something else. It just is.

Note: I am in bed by 8:30 at night. There no way I could stay up late and get up early.
  • knempress
    knempress Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 4:45. Lie in bed about 10 minutes thinking about how I don't want to get up. Get up, get dressed, workout. Drink as much coffee as possible. Get ready for work, get kids ready for school, breakfast around 7:20 (or 7:30 in the car sometimes). Bedtime is around 9:30 or 10.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Jesus what time do you go to bed??

I'm a nightowl, have been all my life. I'm most productive in the evenings, and really have to force myself to get to bed before midnight.

About 9 or 10ish.