How come for some people it's.....

Options
So easy for them to be careful and watch their portions around fattening food and for me it's so difficult? Goodness I envy those people so much. Especially at parties, ever notice that there is always trays and trays of food loaded with fat and carbs (pasta) and theirs only a small tray of salad and hardly any water?

Any survival tips?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It's probably not easy for some of them.
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just go to the gym more leading up to a party and use the extra calories burned on the day of the party.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with my sister. There are those weird people out there who don't like sweets and this one lady didn't like cheese *gasp*. This healthy eating thing would be soo much easier if I didn't have the taste buds for all that is salty-sweet-fatty.
    If I deny myself to much it always ends up backfiring on me. I guess my plan would be to eat something healthy before hand to fill up on and then treat myself to a limited amount of what looks really good. Sorry I got nothing better as I am no expert.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We had a huge morning tea provided at my school yesterday - a table full of cakes, biscuits, savoury pastries, muffins, pies etc.

I was the one sitting eating broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini and eggs. Could I have devoured multiple items from the table? Sure! I eyed off a caramel slice multiple times. My determination to stick with my prelogged and prepped food won though, because I'm more interested in achieving my goals. It certainly wasn't easy!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Maybe you think it's easy but it usually isn't. Sure some people just don't crave foods and tend to eat until they're satisfied and no more. I like to think those folks had a great nutritionally sound upbringing and were always food secure and had very little trauma. Good for them! But the thing is whether you learn it at 3 or 33, it's just a set of skills to learn. Learn about nutrition, learn about fitness and how the body uses energy, and then start changing how you behave to reflect the knowledge you now have. As you go along, learn more about yourself and WHY you chose to do unhealthy things even if it's counter to your goals and knowledge. Figure out why then change it.

Can't tell you how many epiphanies I've had over the past few years. I'd lost 100lbs, new relationship with big potential, had major surgery that changed my face, and then stopped. I still knew all the facts but I just couldn't commit. Now I'm here, almost back to my lowest weight, and I plan to keep on keeping on. It's not always easy to sit at a table with a salad when I can see the pasta and the rolls and the desserts but I do my best with every opportunity. When I cave, like last night and that poor bag of tortilla chips I destroyed, I just pick myself back up. Everyone is capable of change its just a process.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Before I go to a party I try to pre-log: 3 glasses of wine, 2 oz of cheese, 2 oz of turkey, etc. I try to avoid the pastries, but also try to leave 150 cal for candy. I log it all in the morning so I can better plan my day. If I go over by 100 or 200 calories I'm good with that. I really don't want to go over by 2000 calories, so avoid cookies, cakes, etc. If it's a birthday party though, I'll pre-log a 400 cal slice of cake. My daily calories are 1200 plus exercise, so I often go over a little at parties.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating small portions of treats. I just eat them once in a while to lessen it being an issue. I had a big bowl of mac and cheese today and the calories were questionable. I could only ballpark it since it was college caf food and they don't give a crap about portioning according to the signs they post with 'calorie information'. I work at the caf and they told me they're super inaccurate.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    This is exactly as hard as you care to make it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I don't go to parties for salad...but most parties I go to have some pretty good grub...mostly different grilled or smoked meats, and platters of this and that and theirs always a veggie tray and around here, usually chips and salsa. I'm not really one to just sit their and eat...I take what I need and socialize...I'm likely to drink way more than I eat.

When I know I'm going for an outing, I just plan for it...usually either no breakfast or a small one or I just do a reasonable brunch or something...so one smalish meal and then I go enjoy myself. I don't sit an hover around the food either...I get my plate, get my food, and then I'm pretty much done save for a nibble here and there.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    One thing I did when I first started was remind myself that I can always have that particular food "later." I had this "get it while you can!" mentality that I carried with me from when I was a kids and my mom went on a no sweets kick. To the point if grandma gave me a little bag of candy to take home my mom would take it away from me before we even pulled out of the driveway. Once I acknowledged that I was an adult and I was in control of what I wanted it made it easier to say no, because not now is different than never again.

Now it's just a habit. If it's something not worth the calories, like a little debbie, I can let it go. But if it's something special, like the Amish pecan rolls a co-worker brought today, I go ahead and have some.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    @JenHuedy
    Amish pecan rolls? That's a thing? Where do I buy this deliciousness?
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's not easy and they've probably failed multiple times before getting it right. Like others have said above, you can have those things anytime so why not wait until you've reached a goal. How do they do it? One word, determination. Focus on your goal, believe in it and you'll find the willpower to say no.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Maybe the salad eater is vegan? A girl from church almost never ate at social functions. Occasionally I would see her nibble on some fruit. Gluten free eaters tend to be pretty selective at parties as well.

I'm neither and struggle with eating just a normal size portion of yummy foods at parties. I try to be selective and only pick things that truly look delicious that I wouldn't have at home. Then I try to just take a tiny amount, like just 2-3 bites worth. If it's really good I go back for seconds in the hope that it's gone already :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,040 Member
    Options
    Funny thing ...

One of the last parties I went to happened to fall on the day I wrote a final exam and I figured I'd have a planned diet break celebration day for finishing that final exam. Although I wasn't going to go crazy with the eating at this potluck-style party, I would sample some of everything, especially any desserts.

We brought a raw veggie tray and a tray of cold cuts, cheese, and crackers.

When we got there, I had a look at what was on offer on the table and ......... it was about 90% vegetarian food. Just about all salads and veggie dishes!!! And not a huge quantity of anything.

I managed to get a small slice of quiche, several tiny spoonfuls of different salads, and a little bit of our cold cuts, cheese and crackers, but when I looked again, that tray had been devoured.

And no desserts whatsoever. No cakes. No pastries. No nothing.

So here I had all these plans to actually eat decadently at one of these potluck-style parties ... but you can't really do that with a tiny wedge of quiche and salad. :( I ended up nibbling raw carrot sticks from our veggie platter the rest of the evening.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Something else to keep in mind: not everyone struggles with every vice.

I'm not tempted at all toward smoking. I enjoy alcohol but don't have a tendency toward alcoholism. For some people, these are life-ruining addictions.

Just because someone isn't tempted toward gluttony doesn't mean they don't have vices. Perhaps they think to themselves, "How come for some people it's so easy to stay away from gambling?"
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If it's something occasional i wouldn't worry about it. If you're frequently finding yourself at events and it's a consistent stumbling block, try bringing a bottled water or two with you, have a protein based snack before you go, find a seat on the opposite side of the room, but allow yourself a reasonable treat so you don't feel deprived.
  • A_perfect_me
    A_perfect_me Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some ideas: have a tiny bit of everything you would like as long as it easily fits your plate OR eat a healthy meal before the party so you'll naturally care to eat less once there and stay hydrated while there.

Good luck finding what works for you ☺