I'm developing an unhealthy habit where I don't eat all day to save calories for later.

Options
I need to start eating celery and other raw vegetables to hold myself over. I don't know why, but I didn't see how easy the solution was until I started posting this thread. .... So asking, brought me to my own answer! Celery, cucumbers, zucchini, etc, it is! Fiberous, refreshing, and delicious! Just realizing I had a jar of kimchi I could have brought to work too.

Does anyone else find themselves playing games with what they eat so they can eat what they "really want" later ?

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat fewer calories Sunday to Thursday so that I can splurge Friday and Saturday. I don't see anything unhealthy about it; I still meet all the nutrients that are important to me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Meh. Intermittent fasting is a way of eating a lot of people employ to do just what you do, eat a large meal in the evening. I do it on non exercise days, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's not really unhealthy unless you're suffering through it (relative to the cost/benefit factor) or not meeting nutritional goals.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Assuming that was aimed at me, thank you! You just made my day!

If I didn't bank my calories to eat what I wanted, it wouldn't be sustainable. There is no force on the planet that's going to prevent me from eating my fajitas this cinco de mayo.

Yes, that was aimed at you. :) Eat your fajitas! Enjoy!

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "I am slightly lightheaded because it's lunchtime and I've only had 100 so far calories today but I'm refraining from eating more because

Because what I want to eat tonight is like 1200 calories :open_mouth: It's not that I'm worried I'm going to 'mess up', it's that even prelogging, the meal I want is "big" for my calorie range. But I think eating veggies during the day will fix it for me. I have no idea why I didn't think of that before. A pound of veggies is like 100 calories.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I thought you only drank your soylent meals?
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Protein powder could help with cravings too. I prefer to spread high cal foods in a weekly deficit. :p
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,718 Member
    Options
    Assuming that was aimed at me, thank you! You just made my day!

If I didn't bank my calories to eat what I wanted, it wouldn't be sustainable. There is no force on the planet that's going to prevent me from eating my fajitas this cinco de mayo.

While agreeing that what you're doing is fine, as long as you hit reasonable macros overall and feel good, I'd add this: If it's just cinco de mayo fajitas, not todos los dias fajitas, you'd probably be fine just eating them in addition to a normal/light day, then getting back on track.

The occasional over-goal day is likely to happen in successful maintenance; IMO, weight loss is for practicing one's maintenance strategies, as well as for losing weight.
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I thought you only drank your soylent meals?

M-Fri at work because I don't have time to meal prep. I cook my kitten off on the weekends and usually friday evening. Lately I've been forgoing my normal shakes to fatten up my prebed snack, but getting through the gym and taekwondo becomes a challenge without the calories.

The other day I forwent my shakes because I knew I had lenny and larry's muscle brownies and buffbake snicker doodle nut butter at home.... <_<
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lots of water with your veggies. For me, I can't do it super low or my blood sugar goes wacky and I get headaches. And I am super cranky. My husband mostly goes all day with a banana and a protein bar.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an addiction to calorie banking to me. You gotta deal with it
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This sounds like an addiction to calorie banking to me. You gotta deal with it

That's the unhealthy part. I banked an extra 1000 calories the other day so I could eat the junk food I knew I had waiting for me at my house at the end of the day. I was able to fit it all in my calories (AND macros!) but .... I don't think it was necessarily healthy behavior.

I gotta watch myself.

But with the revelation that I could be pounding veggies, I think it's a bit better. On days I know I'm banking calories I might knock back a few pounds of veggies during the day just to not feel like I'm starving.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I need to start eating celery and other raw vegetables to hold myself over. I don't know why, but I didn't see how easy the solution was until I started posting this thread. .... So asking, brought me to my own answer! Celery, cucumbers, zucchini, etc, it is! Fiberous, refreshing, and delicious! Just realizing I had a jar of kimchi I could have brought to work too.

Does anyone else find themselves playing games with what they eat so they can eat what they "really want" later ?

Doesn't everyone do that?? I don't see it as a game, it's imply managing your calories.