Can rarely manage to stay below 1280 calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1280 is hard. 1300 is the lowest I go and it's no walk in the park. I can do it if I really put my mind to it, but I usually have a higher maintenance day or two as well. I never average 1300 per week.
  • raimondasa
    raimondasa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting helps a lot when I am on low calorie days.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make it if I had to stay at the MFP calorie target (1380) for non-exercise days. I use TDEE, based on a weekly estimate, which gives me about 1850 kcals/day regardless of if it's a rest day or an exercise day. I work out deliberately (gym day) 4x week, plus at least 10k-13k steps on the other days. I use a weekly calories allowance vs. a daily one to keep myself sane and less hungry, since I tend to want to eat more M-F than I do on weekends. I've been losing an average of #1.5/wk, which is right in line with my ideal rate of loss. I recently took 28 days of good logging data and compared it to my estimated TDEE and it was right on track to where it was supposed to be, based on my loss.
    Diets (even here on MFP, using CICO) have always failed for me in the past, because if I couldn't work out everyday, I would be too hungry and go over my target and then get upset and downward spiral. Keeping track with longer time intervals and weekly exercise averages has made me MUCH more successful this time around.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise calories? 1,200 net is the lowest a woman should generally go and if you're exercising, your gross calories should be more than 1,280.

That said, I find that pre-logging is the best way for me to consistently meet any calorie goal. I log what I am going to eat the day before I eat it and that gives me a chance to make tweaks to my meal plan, macros, etc.

This is how I'm most successful too.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    mantramoon wrote: »
    Okay, I need to ask people - do you manage to stay at or below your calorie allotment for the day, and if so, how? I know I have improved my eating habits since starting on here 4 months ago, and I've lost 13 lbs so far. I exercise 25 - 45 min per day, walking, biking or elliptical machine, and burn 200-300 calories per session.

But I rarely manage to stay below 1280 calories, which is my daily goal. I have lost weight anyway, but very slowly, and it sometimes will creep up a little before going back down. I'm in this for the long haul, and am trying to do only what I know I can sustain long-term. How do people manage to stay below their target calories? I don't have the time to exercise much more each day, and I get hungry!

You pretty much have to plan your meals out ahead of time and get into the habit of not deviating from your food schedule. Also try to add in some kind of filler food that can go a long way - something like fruit, vegetables, egg whites, etc.
  • ElyInColors
    ElyInColors Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do 1000 a day! and sometimes i have a lot of calories left for dinner and still choose something small
  • LORAXPLORA
    LORAXPLORA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Biggest game changer for me with the 1200 goal was learning which foods have the most sodium and find alternatives. Or else be frustrated ;( So although I thought was low truly I was very mistaken. I did all the regular cuts... back off sugar except for 1 apple and carrots and of course tomato but I'm steady shedding before that it was SODIUM hell. I am super full with making broths and incorporating no salt broth to meals. Best of luck... especially as a woman cycle time hangs on to water so patience and timing broths and low sodium... and meal prep for week. I imagine if you are a parent you're prob even more dedicated because of the time and meal prep obstacles ( on top of everything) so good for you for doing in the first place!!! I would share what I eat if you want some suggestions...
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day and never eat back exercise calories. Provided I'm thinking about what I'm eating I don't find it hard. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon snack and desert everyday.

If you're finding it hard to stick to your calorie goal think about what you're eating and what foods satisfy you longest. Focus your diet around vegetables- you can eat a whole lot of vegetables for not many calories. Almost everyone would benefit from more vegetables in their diet too so it's a win-win.
  • CoolBoyMom6
    CoolBoyMom6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would starve on that. I am eating about 2200 a day. Counting macros.. and I am losing weight. Losing more now at 2200 than I was at 1700 a day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Its really about what you're eating and your satiety. I eat 1300 calories a day when I'm cutting. It's a LOT of food, but I eat a 90% plant-based diet (vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans). Eating added sugar puts me directly in binge mode. To maintain, I eat closer to 1900 and add in dairy and a bit of meat. My point......1200 calories CAN be a lot of food, if you eat the right things. Here's my 1200 per day snapshot

Breakfast - flat bread with almond butter, spinach protein shake and a banana (400 cals)
    Lunch - a TON of broccoli, bell peppers, black beans, walnuts, dried cranberries and an apple (400 cals)
    Dinner - huge salad with zucchini, mushrooms, corn, peppers, lentils and frozen grapes or berries (400 cals)
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 calories a day for the last 4 months and have lost over 25 pounds. I've just learned what to eat and what not to eat. I've also learned what I can "sacrifice" and what I can't to stay within that budget. For example, I drink a red bull almost every morning but that's it for breakfast (never been a breakfast person) unless I didn't eat much the night before. About mid-morning I'll have an apple or non-fat greek yogurt (100 calories). If your a breakfast person, you can do an egg and some turkey sausage on a bagel thin and that's usually around 300 calories at most. For lunch after my workout, I usually eat a 4 oz piece of chicken breast and double servings of vegetables (200-300 calories). Mid-afternoon snack is usually another piece of fruit, some carbs if I'm craving carbs or nuts (150 calories). Dinner depends on what my 3 kids want and that's usually my most calorie-dense meal of the day (400-500 calories). There are some days that I am struggling just to get up to 1000 calories so that I can hit the "Complete Diary" button at the bottom. I do enjoy what I eat and I think that's key. You have to like what you eat or you can't sustain these choices long-term.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would starve on that. I am eating about 2200 a day. Counting macros.. and I am losing weight. Losing more now at 2200 than I was at 1700 a day.

That would mean that other factors were in play. No one loses more, by eating more. It simply does not work that way.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I aim for 1200 but I am also only 5 ft tall, work at a desk and rarely work out. Ive been doing this 4 months. Honestly, some weeks are a breeze and I have no problem with it once I learned what to eat to fill me up. Some weeks tho, I just want to eat everything I see. One thing I have to do is eat SOMETHING every few hours. I eat a small breakfast, then a boiled egg at 10, then lunch at 12 and so on. If not, I will starve.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

That would mean that other factors were in play. No one loses more, by eating more. It simply does not work that way.

my hypothesis would be eating more, more energy, more higher quality workouts that aids in increase of TDEE and burning more calories - because I'm similar - at 1600, I was pretty much static and always tired, feeling like crap...but when working with the group of RD's, they have me at 22-2500 a day and I'm steadily going down, but I'm working out much better/more energy - I ran 10 miles this am with no issues whereas before I would down hard

In addition to having more energy for formal exercise, I think some people vastly under-estimate how many calories they can burn just through everyday movement (which is a lot easier to do when you have the energy provided by adequate calories). When I'm feeling low energy, it can be hard to leave the couch. When I've got enough energy, I'm taking the dogs for longer walks, deciding to take the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to run errands instead of driving . . . it all adds up. I'm not surprised when people share that upping their calories increased their weight loss. It still comes down to a deficit, but having more energy makes it much easier to use activity to increase the deficit.

I know that since I've started focusing on getting my daily steps up - 10k but aim for 12-14K - I'm feeling much better and sleeping better (on top of my daily workouts)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mantramoon wrote: »
    Okay, I need to ask people - do you manage to stay at or below your calorie allotment for the day, and if so, how? I know I have improved my eating habits since starting on here 4 months ago, and I've lost 13 lbs so far. I exercise 25 - 45 min per day, walking, biking or elliptical machine, and burn 200-300 calories per session.

But I rarely manage to stay below 1280 calories, which is my daily goal. I have lost weight anyway, but very slowly, and it sometimes will creep up a little before going back down. I'm in this for the long haul, and am trying to do only what I know I can sustain long-term. How do people manage to stay below their target calories? I don't have the time to exercise much more each day, and I get hungry!

My problem is never with hunger. It's just with the yumminess of food.

me too.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

my hypothesis would be eating more, more energy, more higher quality workouts that aids in increase of TDEE and burning more calories - because I'm similar - at 1600, I was pretty much static and always tired, feeling like crap...but when working with the group of RD's, they have me at 22-2500 a day and I'm steadily going down, but I'm working out much better/more energy - I ran 10 miles this am with no issues whereas before I would down hard

In addition to having more energy for formal exercise, I think some people vastly under-estimate how many calories they can burn just through everyday movement (which is a lot easier to do when you have the energy provided by adequate calories). When I'm feeling low energy, it can be hard to leave the couch. When I've got enough energy, I'm taking the dogs for longer walks, deciding to take the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to run errands instead of driving . . . it all adds up. I'm not surprised when people share that upping their calories increased their weight loss. It still comes down to a deficit, but having more energy makes it much easier to use activity to increase the deficit.

This. When I eat enough, I move more. I *could* eat less, but it wouldn't necessarily give me a bigger deficit.