Weight loss has stopped

Options
Hello! I'm 5'4 and weigh 158. I've been on 1200 calories a day for about 3 weeks, the first two weeks I lost 5-6 lbs which I assume is due to water weight loss. This past week no weight loss. I'm wondering if I should stay at 1200 calories or adjust my goals from 2 lbs of weight loss a week to 1/2 lb , based on reading other forums.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Half a pound would be much better based on your stats, but weight loss isn't linear anyway. There could be a host of reasons why you didn't lose.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Weight does fluctuate naturally from day to day, so don't get discouraged! I once had a day where I gained two pounds. Midday I weighed myself again--I had lost one pound. (Thanks to poopin', lol.) At the end of the day I weight myself once again--by that point I had lost another pound, so I was back to my 'original' weight from the day before. By the next morning I had lost a couple ounces on top of that.

I've been thinking of adjusting my calories upward as well, because I don't have many more pounds to lose. It's all down to personal preference. :)
  • benjid69
    benjid69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wats the best way of loosening belly fat I gave cut carbs right down and fizzy pop in drinking week juice or water
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Are you do for your TOM? 3 weeks in I'd say you are probably near there, I can actually gain almost 5 lbs about a week before. Are you working out? is 1200 enough? I usually tweak things a bit until I see movement again. Either up my exercise a bit, change it up, up my calories, etc. play with my numbers a bit. I hit stalls all the time.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    benjid69 wrote: »
    Wats the best way of loosening belly fat I gave cut carbs right down and fizzy pop in drinking week juice or water

you can't spot reduce. a calorie deficit with result in weight loss, some fat, some muscle. it goes away from where it wants. genetics plays a roll but what you eat other than perhaps higher protein to try to retain lean mass has little to do with it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 5'4 and weigh 158. I've been on 1200 calories a day for about 3 weeks, the first two weeks I lost 5-6 lbs which I assume is due to water weight loss. This past week no weight loss. I'm wondering if I should stay at 1200 calories or adjust my goals from 2 lbs of weight loss a week to 1/2 lb , based on reading other forums.

You've lost 5-6 pounds in 3 weeks. That's great. Weight loss has NOT stopped. Check back in a month.

This, and do reduce your goal to at least 1 lb/week. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Most people start out fast with lots of water weight loss. A few weeks in, the body realizes it dropped too much water and starts to retain some again, then it stays regulated.

What this means in weight loss is: You lose a lot, 3-4 weeks in you stall or even gain a little, then you go back to normal targeted weight loss. The total cycle takes 4-6 weeks but if you are eating at a deficit, you will lose fat during that time.

Wait for another couple of weeks. Assuming you are logging correctly, you do not need to do anything different.
  • misstrangiee
    misstrangiee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you do for your TOM? 3 weeks in I'd say you are probably near there, I can actually gain almost 5 lbs about a week before. Are you working out? is 1200 enough? I usually tweak things a bit until I see movement again. Either up my exercise a bit, change it up, up my calories, etc. play with my numbers a bit. I hit stalls all the time.

What's TOM? I'm pretty active, I use my Fitbit to track everything and I usually get around 150-300 extra calories but I don't usually use them.
  • misstrangiee
    Options

You've lost 5-6 pounds in 3 weeks. That's great. Weight loss has NOT stopped. Everyone loses a lot that first couple of weeks - it's normal. The scale takes a few days to catch up to that initial water weight loss, and normally most people start losing again in a couple of weeks. Check back in a month.

Thank you! I will check back
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    TOM = time of the month. :)
  • misstrangiee
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Most people start out fast with lots of water weight loss. A few weeks in, the body realizes it dropped too much water and starts to retain some again, then it stays regulated.

What this means in weight loss is: You lose a lot, 3-4 weeks in you stall or even gain a little, then you go back to normal targeted weight loss. The total cycle takes 4-6 weeks but if you are eating at a deficit, you will lose fat during that time.

Wait for another couple of weeks. Assuming you are logging correctly, you do not need to do anything different.

So should I stay at 1200 cals a day? I weigh everything... my family is annoyed
  • misstrangiee
    Options
    TOM = time of the month. :)

Ahhh shark week hahah I get it next week
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

So should I stay at 1200 cals a day? I weigh everything... my family is annoyed

Yes, keep doing what you are doing and wait another couple of weeks. After that, re-evaluate and decide if you need to eat more or stay the same.

One thing though, if you have fewer than 50 lb to lose, you really should be eating to lose 1 lb a week. 2 lb a week is too aggressive for most people unless they need to lose 100 lb. or more.
  • BizMa2
    BizMa2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rotate your calories every day and change up your exercise routine. Keep the body guessing.
  • darrenstanley14
    darrenstanley14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I came across this post and thought I could maybe give you an insight. First thing don't start yourself of at a loss on such a low caloric deficit. That amount of calories is going to be hard to sustain for a long period of time. I think I fact am pretty certain you could bump them calories up to around 1700-1800 calories a day minimum and still lose weight. You're losing weight to aggressively and will be sacrificing a lot of muscle mass there slow it down. Do you have a deadline or a specific goal? If not I think 0.5lb-1lb is more than enough. A few tips go for hi volume foods rather than calories dense. Weigh yourself daily in the morning after the toilet and note it down then at the end of the week so say Monday first thing then all the way till Sunday first thing. Add them up and divide by 7 and take an average then the following weeks do the same then see how much you are losing week to week on that average. This is a much better indication of weight loss as so many things can affect weight loss on a day to day basis examples - sleep, stress, sodium and many other factors. Continue you to weigh your foods and enjoy the process as I said stress will not help at all. Get a good intake of water too. What are you currently drinking as in how many litres a day? Any other questions feel free to ask.
  • darrenstanley14
    darrenstanley14 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I feel like I missed a few pointers too. So I'll post some when I get home. Sorry.
  • misstrangiee
    Options
    Hi, I came across this post and thought I could maybe give you an insight. First thing don't start yourself of at a loss on such a low caloric deficit. That amount of calories is going to be hard to sustain for a long period of time. I think I fact am pretty certain you could bump them calories up to around 1700-1800 calories a day minimum and still lose weight. You're losing weight to aggressively and will be sacrificing a lot of muscle mass there slow it down. Do you have a deadline or a specific goal? If not I think 0.5lb-1lb is more than enough. A few tips go for hi volume foods rather than calories dense. Weigh yourself daily in the morning after the toilet and note it down then at the end of the week so say Monday first thing then all the way till Sunday first thing. Add them up and divide by 7 and take an average then the following weeks do the same then see how much you are losing week to week on that average. This is a much better indication of weight loss as so many things can affect weight loss on a day to day basis examples - sleep, stress, sodium and many other factors. Continue you to weigh your foods and enjoy the process as I said stress will not help at all. Get a good intake of water too. What are you currently drinking as in how many litres a day? Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for the notes! I stick to a high protein diet I usually get about 90-130 grams of protein a day sometimes more. I don't feel hungry but I do find myself "saving" calories for the end of the day for fear that I'll be hungry before I sleep. I've recently added more fiber into my diet also, going regularly is an issue for me. I drink well over a gallon a day, I stop measuring after I hit a gallon so I'm not exactly sure how much more I drink.