No Breakfast Habit

mermar13
mermar13 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All!

I need some advice. I have been struggling to break my "no breakfast" habit for years now. It's not intentional, I just truly don't know how to fit breakfast into my busy morning or what to bring along for a quick meal.

My habits so far... I wake up at 7:30AM, drink a cup of green tea, followed by 8 oz of water. I grab a cold brew coffee from Dunkin Donuts at 8:45AM and then I do not ingest anything but the coffee (and water usually) until maybe around 11AM-1PM. At this time, I only have a protein shake. Then, I almost always do not eat actual food until my lunch, around 2PM-3PM. More water after that and a cup of chamomile lavender or blueberry green tea will follow. Water and maybe another protein shake or a small snack until about 6:30PM. Dinner for me is usually 8:30AM-10:30PM (due to working schedules my myself and my partner.)

I know my eating schedule is very poor and I want to change it. Mainly, I'd like to be able to add breakfast for a better balance. My appetite is usually very poor due to health issues, so this is another issue with not being able to eat in the morning (no appetite.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

Mar

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Time of day doesn't really matter when it comes to weight loss goals. Whatever schedule works for you, works for you! Some people eat when they first get up, others don't eat anything until lunch. If you're feeling good without having breakfast, why do you feel the need to add it?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Sounds to me like a smoothie may be just the way to start your day!
    You can buy frozen fruit and baggie them up in the right amounts and then all you need to do is add 8 oz of your liquid or juice of choice and blend! You can drink it while you get ready too. It may require getting up 10 minutes earlier depending how tight that time between 7:30-8:45 is.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    I make a protein shake with carbs and a bananna the night before because i hit snooze button till last minute...I take it to work and drink it around 8.30..
  • mermar13
    mermar13 Posts: 4 Member
    Wow!! I didn't expect such awesome responses!! Thank you to everyone who has responded so quickly!

I guess I just assumed (thanks to the old wive's tales) that I need breakfast to kick start my metabolism. It sounds like it isn't really necessary and a lot of you guys also go without breakfast as well!

I do love the idea of adding a quick smoothie to my morning routine. Maybe it will give me an extra boost of energy in the morning and I can ditch the coffee eventually!!

:)
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    If you aren't hungry in the morning, don't worry about eating. Lots of people (including me) do this intentionally - it's called intermittent fasting. There's a great group here on MFP if you want to learn more about it. Although if you'd rather try the smoothie route, that's cool too. Do what works for you and feel free to experiment!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    mermar13 wrote: »
    Wow!! I didn't expect such awesome responses!! Thank you to everyone who has responded so quickly!

I guess I just assumed (thanks to the old wive's tales) that I need breakfast to kick start my metabolism. It sounds like it isn't really necessary and a lot of you guys also go without breakfast as well!

I do love the idea of adding a quick smoothie to my morning routine. Maybe it will give me an extra boost of energy in the morning and I can ditch the coffee eventually!!

:)

No need to ditch the coffee unless it's something you really want to do. I have one cup every day with actual cream and sugar and it fits in my calorie goals. I usually get hungry about 10:30am and have a 100 calorie protein yogurt and then I'm good till lunch at 2pm. It's all your own personal choice :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Do what works for you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I never eat breakfast- if you don't like it- don't want it- then don't eat it.

it's fine. no need to change something that's obviously working for you.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Not eating breakfast is what has allowed me to be able to shed 5lb more pounds this year (on top of the 7lbs I had already lost before I plateau'd) and has now put me within 10lbs of my goal.

I was just like you. I believe it was bad for me to skip breakfast. So far, it has helped with many issues I had prior. I am less hungry, more in control of what I ingest, and coming up with a calorie deficit.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Everyone is different. I can't skip breakfast but I sometimes skip dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I love breakfast, but there's nothing magical about breakfast, nor is their anything magical about meal timing. I eat dinner every night around 8:30/9 and have for as long as I can remember...it certainly didn't hamper my weight loss.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    I LOVE food, but I have never been a big breakfast eater. I'm happy with a protein shake or a piece of fruit (sometimes both). I do like breakfast foods and will eat them for lunch or dinner. I have just never been big on cooking in the morning...I want something quick and easy. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I never eat breakfast. Occasionally I have plain tea.

I eat my calories later in the day.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    But if u wanted to eat/drink your breakfast u might want to look at homemade protein shakes they are fast easy to deal with yes do what works for you but u may find u feel better if u have something more than coffee , I too drink coffee n also eat 4 hard boiled eggs too
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited May 2017
    How many calories are in a 'cold brew coffee from Dunkin Donuts'? That might have enough fat and sugar to serve as your breakfast.

Best I can figure, you have your candied coffee in the morning, a protein shake before lunch, a late lunch, a protein shake before dinner, then dinner.

You're getting plenty of protein, and maybe even enough fat. Your calories are spread across 5 discrete meal times. What are you trying to 'balance' by adding a 6th meal?

That 6th meal would necessarily make the lunch and dinner smaller as you'd be transferring some of your calorie consumption to a different part of the day. Is that something you really want to do?
  • sunshinecarter
    sunshinecarter Posts: 1 Member
    How many calories are in a 'cold brew coffee from Dunkin Donuts'?

Cold brew is a method of brewing coffee. I believe it has similar nutrition as regularly brewed coffee.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Mon-Fri I wake up at 4 or 5am, work out fasted, and don't eat my first meal (breaking my fast) until 11am or so. Time of day for calorie consumption is absolutely irrelevant (...in 98.3% of people anyway).