Changing goals

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Who here has changed their goal weight as they've approached it? I started out with a goal of 130lbs, but as I near that, I realise I am still not 100% happy with how I look, and losing another 3 lbs isn't going to make the last of the fat magically vanish. So I am thinking of switching to 125lbs.

At 22 I would have thought that really fat, but now it seems very little. Everyone tells me not to lose any more weight, but I think that's just because they got used to me a bit podgy. I still have a body fat % of 24, and I would ideally like it between 20 and 22.

So change my goal, or aim to maintain but build muscle and lose fat?

Replies

• hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just signed on to drop 5 more lbs. myself, this morning. I reached my goal of 125, I'm 5'4, about a month ago and have been maintaining pretty well. I do still have some fat % to lose as well, I think I'm around 23-24% too though I'd prefer 20-22%. I am turning 40 in September and want to be in the best condition possible, so I'm going to push for the next 6 weeks.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've changed my goal, but in the opposite way. My original goal was 135, but I decided a few months ago that I was pretty happy where I was at 150-ish, and just wanted to lose a few more pounds and inches.

Now, I'm only 6.4 pounds away from my new goal weight of 140, and really want to focus more on losing fat and building muscle.
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    It sounds like you are more interested in decreasing your body fat percentage rather than your overall weight. I would make a new body fat percentage goal and work toward building muscle to help reduce it. The scale may go down in the process, but I wouldn't focus on that number. If you haven't been already, take your measurements and keep track of your body fat % for your next goal. Also eat to build muscle and do strength training. More muscle will help you lose more fat!

Good luck!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am nearly the same height/weight as you- my goal is 126 & I still feel like I have a way to go! I will re-assess the situation when I get there. I actually have no idea what my body fat is though!

Don't worry what others say it's all about how u feel in yourself :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my original goal was 120 which I reached the other week and I have now added on another 3lb to lose, my new goal being 117 and I'm on 119 so 2lb to go. However I'm generally happy with my weight now and I've noticed that more than losing further pounds toning will really be the next step I need to take to get the shape that I want. :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I change my goals all the time. But I have long term and short term goals. As I reach one, I re-evaluate my next goal.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get to 135 but i have been 130lb in the past thought i would wan to t get to there at some point. The scale hardly moves for me now it is once a month that i get a lose of 2 lbs on the scale. Anyways my body is firming up and looking better i think i look like i did when i was 135 and not working out that much. So if i can continue firming up and still be 143is then i wouldnt mind. The scale is not my friend right now.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Started out with GW of 117lbs but now want to go to 112lbs. Am currently hovering between these weights and I am thinking I may just stay where I am LOL!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just changed my goal weight another 10 pounds lower -- I'm at a 15-year low (back to pre-2d son) and decided to shoot for 20 years (pre 1st son). I'm much healthier and stronger than I was 20 years ago, so I'm curious to see what will happen: I think that a 50 year old body settles into bat wings and thunder thighs no matter what you weigh!