Gaining muscle quickly

Options
Hi guys been on a heavy fitness kick for 6 weeks but being healthy since the start of the year. I have been in calorific deficit for 6 weeks very disciplined. Two weight sessions a week, one yoga and two MMA classes - my weight is not really going down but the inches really are and my fitness is through the roof. Just wondering if this is normal to gain muscle mass so quickly? I've probably gone from 13 Stone 9 to 13 Stone 5 within that period but I thought id drop much more weight... Is it normal for it to be muscle?

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle in a caloric deficit. You have to be in a surplus to build the muscle.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It's called the honeymoon phase. Totally normal. Once you're conditioned fast gains will stop and you won't be able to build muscle in a calorie deficit.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    You can't gain muscle in a caloric deficit. You have to be in a surplus to build the muscle.

You can under some special circumstances

One of them is being quite overweight and not having lifted weights before -
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You've lost 4lbs, you haven't gained any muscle... what makes you think you have?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Can you build muscle doing yoga?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    fitness being through the roof doesnt mean its muscle gain. its hard to lose fat(losing inches) and gain muscle in a deficit even if you are new to lifting you may get some "newbie" gains but those will slack off.2 weight sessions a week I also dont think would be enough to gain much if any mass even with newbie gains. I could be wrong on that though.weight loss doesnt always happen fast for everyone either.how much do you think you should have lost in 6 weeks?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Years ago - when I was doing yoga - I had a book that showed how to gain muscles - by just sitting and imaging lifting weights
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Yes, but ultimately it will look less like yoga and more like floor gymnastics if you're trying to build strength.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »

Years ago - when I was doing yoga - I had a book that showed how to gain muscles - by just sitting and imaging lifting weights

I am imagining lifting right now at my desk. I can feel the burn.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Only women who eat 1200-1400 calories and want to tone but not get bulky gain muscle that quickly.

huh?
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

False. Newbie gains.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yes, but ultimately it will look less like yoga and more like floor gymnastics if you're trying to build strength.

QFT
    Only women who eat 1200-1400 calories and want to tone but not get bulky gain muscle that quickly.

huh?

Sarcasm

OP, strength gains and improved fitness are not the same as muscle gains. 4lbs when considerably upping activity is just fine, there's probably some water retention from muscle repair. The inches are going down so it stands to reason that there are fat losses that aren't showing on the scale yet. Give it more time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

QFT

huh?

Sarcasm

OP, strength gains and improved fitness are not the same as muscle gains. 4lbs when considerably upping activity is just fine, there's probably some water retention from muscle repair. The inches are going down so it stands to reason that there are fat losses that aren't showing on the scale yet. Give it more time.

thought it was sarcasm just wasnt sure lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

QFT

huh?

Sarcasm

thought it was sarcasm just wasnt sure lol

:)
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... Beginning to have a little more clarity. I'm assuming I'm just waking up the muscle I currently have rather than making any gains. For the record... The Yoga is simply for flexibility with MMA and allows for good range of motion during weights - i guess I need to work out what my goal is before starting the surplus
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also.... This... https://youtu.be/KXI1jh__r4U
  • cyprant
    cyprant Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Woah, is it really true you can't gain muscle mass while maintaining a caloric deficit? I thought if you eat enough protein you could gain muscle mass while Burning fat by having a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day.

If this is the case, I assume I must lose my (fat) weight before I begin weight training to build muscles?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cyprant wrote: »
    Woah, is it really true you can't gain muscle mass while maintaining a caloric deficit? I thought if you eat enough protein you could gain muscle mass while Burning fat by having a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day.

If this is the case, I assume I must lose my (fat) weight before I begin weight training to build muscles?

New lifters, returning lifters, and overfat people can build some muscle whilst in a deficit but it is going to be less than if eating at maintenance or above. And it's not going to be so much to cause weight gain.

Lift now to preserve muscle and build strength. If you manage to build muscle, fantastic, but don't count on big muscle gains right now.