Are you tracking food perfectly?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    No one here is tracking food perfectly. I suspect some people get a lot closer than others (looking at you Gallowmere :wink: ) but perfect isn't possible. I personally aim for 'good enough to keep me on track with my goals' which seems to be working. I still have meals out, work events, meals my husband prepared that I didn't hover over his shoulder weighing everything, family potlucks, etc. Life doesn't stand still because I'm trying to lose weight, and I wouldn't want it to.

Nothing really standstill about it for me. It's just part of my daily routine. I am bulking now and still do it. I wake up at 1:30, spend a couple of hours prepping food and typing my lift programming into my phone notepad, out the door by 5:00, lifting by 5:30, at work by 7:00, in bed around 5:30.

Most people have their "me time" after work. I have mine in the very early morning, when I don't have to worry about the rest of the world trying to *kitten* it up. ;)

Didn't mean to imply you don't have a life! :grin: Our lives, goals, and priorities are very different. I'll happily keep up my sloppy-logging until it no longer works for me, then I'll cry tears of bitter irony and tighten things up lol.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes. I weigh everything and my rate of loss and data match flawlessly. It's not a problem to be loose with your measuring until it's a problem . If you're happy with your rate of loss you're doing okay. If you're about to post about a plateau and it's been 3+ weeks you need to tighten the reigns
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    No one here is tracking food perfectly. I suspect some people get a lot closer than others (looking at you Gallowmere :wink: ) but perfect isn't possible. I personally aim for 'good enough to keep me on track with my goals' which seems to be working. I still have meals out, work events, meals my husband prepared that I didn't hover over his shoulder weighing everything, family potlucks, etc. Life doesn't stand still because I'm trying to lose weight, and I wouldn't want it to.

Nothing really standstill about it for me. It's just part of my daily routine. I am bulking now and still do it. I wake up at 1:30, spend a couple of hours prepping food and typing my lift programming into my phone notepad, out the door by 5:00, lifting by 5:30, at work by 7:00, in bed around 5:30.

Most people have their "me time" after work. I have mine in the very early morning, when I don't have to worry about the rest of the world trying to *kitten* it up. ;)

Didn't mean to imply you don't have a life! :grin: Our lives, goals, and priorities are very different. I'll happily keep up my sloppy-logging until it no longer works for me, then I'll cry tears of bitter irony and tighten things up lol.

Hehe. You sound an aweful lot like me.

As long as I'm losing weight (or happy maintaining as is the case right now), I'll keep up with my sloppy-logging. I tend to be as accurate as I need to be for my goals. :smiley:
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Yesterday someone gave me a pastry that they made themselves and I couldn't say no to something that looked so delicious. I just try and over-estimate how many calories things like this have in them to hopefully make up for it.

If you can weigh it, you can know that it's between 4x and 9x that weight in calories. It would be 4x if it were all carbs, and 9x if it were all fats. Most pastries are closer to 7x than to 4x or 9x.

Thanks, that's useful information. Luckily it was just one of those apple roses, made with apples, cinnamon, and honey, so not the most threatening thing I have been faced with :tongue:
  • sae12
    sae12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to say I do not always weigh my food. I try to be as accurate as possible
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you're going to try to track perfectly....add in extra calories to your total. The general rule of thumb is that ppl underestimate the actual caloric/macro values.
    No i don't weigh or measure......instead i just stay away from simple carbs and eat only complex carbs.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    ......and protein :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yesterday someone gave me a pastry that they made themselves and I couldn't say no to something that looked so delicious. I just try and over-estimate how many calories things like this have in them to hopefully make up for it.

If you can weigh it, you can know that it's between 4x and 9x that weight in calories. It would be 4x if it were all carbs, and 9x if it were all fats. Most pastries are closer to 7x than to 4x or 9x.

This is true and I never thought of this.
    *insert rainbow the more you know gif*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do it basically like you, OP, when I am logging carefully (when maintaining I typically do not log). I guess and round up restaurant choices or, when that feels overwhelming and based on my experience over quite a while now, I might just pick a round number that seems reasonable to high for what I got. I do think awareness and not going nuts at restaurants (watching portion size and choosing sensibly what you order, being aware of high cal items that you could eat without thinking about it, like many appetizers, desserts, and bread on the table) is a big enough change and that you don't need to be totally perfect. I lost on schedule almost the whole time I was losing (about a year) and ate out 1-2 times a week in restaurants with no calorie counts and am glad I didn't give that up or stress about it.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My goal is weight loss, not a perfect food log. I am losing weight, so my logging is close enough. I do eat out, and sometimes I eat out at places that aren't chains so I have to guess.

Make reasonable guesses. Watch what your weight does. If it's not doing what you want, change your guesses.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    slm14 wrote: »
    Do you all track your food measuring every item? How do you manage when eating out?
    When I am preparing my own food I measure and try to do accurate portions. Currently I'm rounding and doing my best educated guesses when eating out. I think at least bringing awareness to my eating, even if it's not the exact calorie and macro count, can be helpful. Thoughts? What has been most successful for tracking without becoming obsessive for some of you all?
    Thanks. (I'm also super open to new MFP friends if anyone needs more buddies, just request).

I think it helps to be a bit pedantic in the beginning, when you are learning portion control and how to properly estimate. I really had no idea how much PB I was adding to my bread, etc.

Best guesses is very appropriate, just lean on the high side in terms of your portions. All this becomes more important when you find you are not losing at the predicted rate of loss for your deficit.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I eyeball everything. But I've got 18 months of really old experience and nearly 1000 days of current experience to tell me that I lose just fine eyeballing.

I also maintain an Excel schedule that lets me know if my activity level is dropping or my portion sizes are creeping up. Also tells me if my calorie burns are accurate. I find that weighing makes me obsessive, but data analysis doesn't.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do you all track your food measuring every item?

No I do not, I estimate, take averages (every mandarine or carrot is just logged as a medium one) pick something similar in data base etc

How do you manage when eating out?
    I guestimate, pick something similar in data base or failing all that, do quick add calories

As poster above mentioned, my aim is not to track as accurately as possible - my aim is to track well enough to meet my weight goal targets.
    What poster above referred to as sloppy logging and what I myself have described before on here as lazy logging. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Most foods have a significant percentage of their weight in water. According to the USDA database, a cinnamon danish is about 24% water by weight, and thus despite all the fat, its energy (in kcal) is only about 4X its weight in grams.
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I log everything and weigh most of it, even the packaged food and the condiments. If it's not in the database in grams, then I take info from the label, do the math, and add it to the db. I've found that sliced bread is over by as much as 25% per slice from the label. Same with frozen patties and frozen filleted meats/fish, sometimes as much as 30%. Even TV dinners, off by about 15% sometimes. Just about anything, over. If I have toast, I weigh the bread after it's toasted. What I miss is licking the spoon or my finger, but those "tastes" can add up.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything at home down to the perfect amount of coffee for a brew. luckily where i work all the recipes are built into the mfp app. into loseit too. i pre load my dinner into mfp so i can adjust as i need to during the day. i can do last minute tweeks for dinner and fruit.

the last time i ate out was at chipotle and they have all the menu components in mfp so you can get an educated guess there.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I try, especially with the things I can control. Of course, eating out is a challenge in this regard.

I expect with all my logging that I'm probably only within 10% (give or take) of the actual calorie/macro values. This isn't just due to any inaccuracies *I* bring to the process -- there are inaccurate database entries, FDA label count allowed variances, differences in agricultural products and more.

As long as my bathroom scale keeps going in the right direction (down 20 lbs so far this year since Jan 1), I'm content with this level of accuracy. I log what I can, as best as I can, and don't fret about extra decimal points.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    No I don't because I am on maintenance, but I didn't track/log, weighted or measured perfectly when I was loosing either. Life is not made of perfection, neither is my diet (as a way of eating).

I do eat out once to three times a week, depending of what ever happens in my daily routine, but I don't log it unless the restaurant had the nutritional information on the menu or on line. I do have a good idea of the portions and I am in general aware of the items that may be high in calories, so I skip them or only eat part of it.