Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet question

Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
Ok was going to post this in food n nutrition but afraid I will get blasted. I'm talking about the cabbage soup diet. I have a holiday coming up, in around 2 months so I'm thinking of obviously hitting the gym and eating sensibly. But no matter how much I try iv always got a bit of a belly so I was wondering has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet, for say around a week or so just to shift stubborn weight ? Or have you tried anything similar, what was the outcome?

Replies

• tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    2 secrets for a nice stomach. Build the muscle first then Lose that fat. What diet you use doesn't matter
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Ok was going to post this in food n nutrition but afraid I will get blasted. I'm talking about the cabbage soup diet. I have a holiday coming up, in around 2 months so I'm thinking of obviously hitting the gym and eating sensibly. But no matter how much I try iv always got a bit of a belly so I was wondering has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet, for say around a week or so just to shift stubborn weight ? Or have you tried anything similar, what was the outcome?

fat is lost in a deficit. fat comes off where it wants when it wants,sad but true. all you can do is eat in a deficit,hit the gym and hope for the best.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    lol about getting blasted! I'd feel the same way :smile:

I have never done the cabbage soup diet, but I did try this one soup diet that was a bunch of low carb veggies and you ate as much as you wanted.
    I don't think I lasted more than a day, it was too boring. I wasn't hungry 'cause you could eat as much as you wanted.

My suggestion would be to try to just eat healthy fresh foods and count you calories accurately (use a food scale if you don't already). Try cutting out packaged foods for a week instead of a fad diet.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    lol about getting blasted! I'd feel the same way :smile:

I have never done the cabbage soup diet, but I did try this one soup diet that was a bunch of low carb veggies and you ate as much as you wanted.
    I don't think I lasted more than a day, it was too boring. I wasn't hungry 'cause you could eat as much as you wanted.

My suggestion would be to try to just eat healthy fresh foods and count you calories accurately (use a food scale if you don't already). Try cutting out packaged foods for a week instead of a fad diet.

Lol
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    In addition to eating at a deficit you could also try core strengthening workouts such as yoga, planks, and even something like the 30 day shred. In two months you may see a difference.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    You'll probably be miserable the entire time so I'd advise against it

Yeah, this

Eat clean & work out.

Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    if you think you'll get blasted, don't you think it would be perhaps because what you're suggesting isn't a good idea?

i did it when i was young and didn't know better (ie, stupid). it was vile. i lost weight because after a day i couldn't even bare to look at the soup let alone eat it. i also gave up pretty quick because it was gross, and i was hungry.

you have 2 months, which is a good chunk of time to eat at a sensible deficit and get more active. don't fall for quick fixes...they usually come with equally quick reverses.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    tsortsor wrote: »
    2 secrets for a nice stomach. Build the muscle first then Lose that fat. What diet you use doesn't matter

This is one of my biggest fitness problems, iv never worked on my core. I really must work on building more muscle, on my core and everywhere really

I am not sure if this got mentioned before, I didn't read the comments. But you don't need to work your core separately. It gets worked when you are doing other compound exercises. I never work my core on purpose.
    Actually you don't even need to workout for a flat stomach, you just need to lose weight/fat. Instead of 6 pack, you'll just have a flat stomach. With that said, working out makes everything better/easier.
    Good luck.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member

This is one of my biggest fitness problems, iv never worked on my core. I really must work on building more muscle, on my core and everywhere really

I am not sure if this got mentioned before, I didn't read the comments. But you don't need to work your core separately. It gets worked when you are doing other compound exercises. I never work my core on purpose.
    Actually you don't even need to workout for a flat stomach, you just need to lose weight/fat. Instead of 6 pack, you'll just have a flat stomach. With that said, working out makes everything better/easier.
    Good luck.

This reminds me of a time years ago, I was much younger, didn't even read up much on weight loss or diets. All i wanted to do was slim down all over (I didn't focus on anything other than i wanted to look good, get rid of any flabby bits) all I did was cut my usual diet down by half, I literally just ate half of my usual diet. Of course I also had no idea about nutrients etc so I just ate half of my usual. And I just became more active. After around 2-3 months I was transformed tbh. Maybe now that I'm older iv lost sight of the simplicity. Think I'm needing a boost in my motivation

Simple works best at times. I never tried the cabbage diet. Or any other kind of diets, but I can see how they might be a good way to jump start your weight loss. And then you can go back to keeping things simple and just be cautious about what you eat. No diet is a long term solution, you need a back up plan for when the diet is over.
    I am just tired of people coming up with generic answers" this doesn't work, that doesn't work". Almost everything works as long as you do it right and have a plan for afterwards.
    Good luck.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I've tried every diet over the years. I remember liking the taste of the cabbage soup, probably mostly because I like soup and I like cabbage. I also remember having the most horrific stinky gas all day long every day. I don't remember losing any weight.
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    I thought the cabbage soup diet was more of a 7 day detox
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    You'll fart a lot
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017

Have you every heard the phrase - nice abs are built in the kitchen?

Having a nice stomach is about a low body fat %. Strength training while losing weight is a great idea because it helps you MAINTAIN existing lean muscle mass. Then after you lose the fat, lean muscles are revealed.

To your original post - the Dolly Parton Diet (now known as the cabbage soup diet) has been around since the early 80's.....it's a fad diet that gets resurrected now and again for magazine space, internet woo, and basically anything for a buck.

It's low protein on several days.....and low fat (1980's style). I've done this.....and yet here I am again. Diets and/or exercise CANNOT target fat on specific body areas. That's why liposuction was invented.

This 7 day diet won't yield any meaningful results. Sorry.