Diet question

Options
Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
Ok was going to post this in food n nutrition but afraid I will get blasted. I'm talking about the cabbage soup diet. I have a holiday coming up, in around 2 months so I'm thinking of obviously hitting the gym and eating sensibly. But no matter how much I try iv always got a bit of a belly so I was wondering has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet, for say around a week or so just to shift stubborn weight ? Or have you tried anything similar, what was the outcome?

Replies

• tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    2 secrets for a nice stomach. Build the muscle first then Lose that fat. What diet you use doesn't matter
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ok was going to post this in food n nutrition but afraid I will get blasted. I'm talking about the cabbage soup diet. I have a holiday coming up, in around 2 months so I'm thinking of obviously hitting the gym and eating sensibly. But no matter how much I try iv always got a bit of a belly so I was wondering has anyone tried the cabbage soup diet, for say around a week or so just to shift stubborn weight ? Or have you tried anything similar, what was the outcome?

fat is lost in a deficit. fat comes off where it wants when it wants,sad but true. all you can do is eat in a deficit,hit the gym and hope for the best.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    lol about getting blasted! I'd feel the same way :smile:

I have never done the cabbage soup diet, but I did try this one soup diet that was a bunch of low carb veggies and you ate as much as you wanted.
    I don't think I lasted more than a day, it was too boring. I wasn't hungry 'cause you could eat as much as you wanted.

My suggestion would be to try to just eat healthy fresh foods and count you calories accurately (use a food scale if you don't already). Try cutting out packaged foods for a week instead of a fad diet.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    lol about getting blasted! I'd feel the same way :smile:

I have never done the cabbage soup diet, but I did try this one soup diet that was a bunch of low carb veggies and you ate as much as you wanted.
    I don't think I lasted more than a day, it was too boring. I wasn't hungry 'cause you could eat as much as you wanted.

My suggestion would be to try to just eat healthy fresh foods and count you calories accurately (use a food scale if you don't already). Try cutting out packaged foods for a week instead of a fad diet.

Lol
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In addition to eating at a deficit you could also try core strengthening workouts such as yoga, planks, and even something like the 30 day shred. In two months you may see a difference.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be miserable the entire time so I'd advise against it

Yeah, this

Eat clean & work out.

Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    if you think you'll get blasted, don't you think it would be perhaps because what you're suggesting isn't a good idea?

i did it when i was young and didn't know better (ie, stupid). it was vile. i lost weight because after a day i couldn't even bare to look at the soup let alone eat it. i also gave up pretty quick because it was gross, and i was hungry.

you have 2 months, which is a good chunk of time to eat at a sensible deficit and get more active. don't fall for quick fixes...they usually come with equally quick reverses.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    tsortsor wrote: »
    2 secrets for a nice stomach. Build the muscle first then Lose that fat. What diet you use doesn't matter

This is one of my biggest fitness problems, iv never worked on my core. I really must work on building more muscle, on my core and everywhere really

I am not sure if this got mentioned before, I didn't read the comments. But you don't need to work your core separately. It gets worked when you are doing other compound exercises. I never work my core on purpose.
    Actually you don't even need to workout for a flat stomach, you just need to lose weight/fat. Instead of 6 pack, you'll just have a flat stomach. With that said, working out makes everything better/easier.
    Good luck.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

This is one of my biggest fitness problems, iv never worked on my core. I really must work on building more muscle, on my core and everywhere really

I am not sure if this got mentioned before, I didn't read the comments. But you don't need to work your core separately. It gets worked when you are doing other compound exercises. I never work my core on purpose.
    Actually you don't even need to workout for a flat stomach, you just need to lose weight/fat. Instead of 6 pack, you'll just have a flat stomach. With that said, working out makes everything better/easier.
    Good luck.

This reminds me of a time years ago, I was much younger, didn't even read up much on weight loss or diets. All i wanted to do was slim down all over (I didn't focus on anything other than i wanted to look good, get rid of any flabby bits) all I did was cut my usual diet down by half, I literally just ate half of my usual diet. Of course I also had no idea about nutrients etc so I just ate half of my usual. And I just became more active. After around 2-3 months I was transformed tbh. Maybe now that I'm older iv lost sight of the simplicity. Think I'm needing a boost in my motivation

Simple works best at times. I never tried the cabbage diet. Or any other kind of diets, but I can see how they might be a good way to jump start your weight loss. And then you can go back to keeping things simple and just be cautious about what you eat. No diet is a long term solution, you need a back up plan for when the diet is over.
    I am just tired of people coming up with generic answers" this doesn't work, that doesn't work". Almost everything works as long as you do it right and have a plan for afterwards.
    Good luck.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've tried every diet over the years. I remember liking the taste of the cabbage soup, probably mostly because I like soup and I like cabbage. I also remember having the most horrific stinky gas all day long every day. I don't remember losing any weight.
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I thought the cabbage soup diet was more of a 7 day detox
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    You'll fart a lot
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Have you every heard the phrase - nice abs are built in the kitchen?

Having a nice stomach is about a low body fat %. Strength training while losing weight is a great idea because it helps you MAINTAIN existing lean muscle mass. Then after you lose the fat, lean muscles are revealed.

To your original post - the Dolly Parton Diet (now known as the cabbage soup diet) has been around since the early 80's.....it's a fad diet that gets resurrected now and again for magazine space, internet woo, and basically anything for a buck.

It's low protein on several days.....and low fat (1980's style). I've done this.....and yet here I am again. Diets and/or exercise CANNOT target fat on specific body areas. That's why liposuction was invented.

This 7 day diet won't yield any meaningful results. Sorry.