Options
13»

Replies

• abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't take any supplements (besides some occasional protein powder to hit my macros) .. I am not recomping but I just finished a very successful bulk where I clearly gained significant muscle. So are they necessary? No. Do some people find them helpful.. sure. But I would have calories, macros and training in line first... Supplements would be the very last thing on the hierarchy of importance. Where is that Helms pyramid​...

gb95j2pmto2e.jpg

This is actually my take on this as well.
    Supplements are great if you need them but if you can get what you need through food then always go for a food instead.

And if you aren't taking the time to properly sort out your nutrition and training, throwing in supplements isn't going to benefit you much... People need to work on the basics before overcomplicating things with small details...

My nutrition is definitely getting better - I'm making an effort to eat more calories and can feel the difference in my energy levels
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well as u can see u can go nuts here everyone has there own ideas , try them n see if u think they work - I keep not only this log here but I also write down in my lifting log what if any supplements I am taking n if there is any results good or bad - also it may go hand n hand n how your lifts are going too ? One think I swear by is Belveraly international Liver tabs it's real old school but alway works for me - .
  • annie33334
    annie33334 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have at least 1 protein shake a day, with grass fed whey protein isolate to help boost protein intake.

I take CLA to aid in losing fat and gaining muscle. It seems to work well for me. Here are a few articles on it.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform12.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040520/cla-weight-loss#1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    annie33334 wrote: »
    I have at least 1 protein shake a day, with grass fed whey protein isolate to help boost protein intake.

I take CLA to aid in losing fat and gaining muscle. It seems to work well for me. Here are a few articles on it.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform12.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040520/cla-weight-loss#1

https://examine.com/supplements/conjugated-linoleic-acid/

CLA has been overblown in terms of supplementation; at least according to places like examine.com

"However, human studies on CLA are very unreliable and the overall effects seen with CLA are not overly potent as well as sometimes contradicting. CLA is a good research standard to investigated fatty acids and the PPAR system, but its usage as a supplement for personal goals is quite lacklustre."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't take any supplements (besides some occasional protein powder to hit my macros) .. I am not recomping but I just finished a very successful bulk where I clearly gained significant muscle. So are they necessary? No. Do some people find them helpful.. sure. But I would have calories, macros and training in line first... Supplements would be the very last thing on the hierarchy of importance. Where is that Helms pyramid​...

gb95j2pmto2e.jpg

This is actually my take on this as well.
    Supplements are great if you need them but if you can get what you need through food then always go for a food instead.

And if you aren't taking the time to properly sort out your nutrition and training, throwing in supplements isn't going to benefit you much... People need to work on the basics before overcomplicating things with small details...

My nutrition is definitely getting better - I'm making an effort to eat more calories and can feel the difference in my energy levels

Get your nutrition in check first and then work on the rest of the pyramid. If you have a good overall diet, get adequate nutritions and time nutrients appropriately and then still want to supplement, that is when I would go for it. But of course, this also assume you have a solid training protocol as well.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My training has stepped up a gear, along with my nutrition, which is why I'm wondering about supplement. Still undecided but thanks for all your advice though :)
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    I have taken creatine on and off for almost 20 years and I've only had positive results. More strength and muscle bulk. Just be sure to drink plenty of water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    The majority of supplements aren't needed at all if diet is good. The supplement companies are great sales people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    As others said nutrition should be first but I see nothing wrong with using supplements even if they are minimally beneficial or cause a placebo. Just know they aren't some weight loss magic, I look at them as a quality of life thing. Always get the "waste of money" and if you are living on nickles and dimes, yea spend your money elsewhere. If you have expendable cash who cares? People act like they don't spend their money on anything non essential. Just do your research and figure out if said product is right for you.

Opinion of Creatine is well it works and has studies to back it up. BCAA's I really look at them as an expensive Kool-Aid. I take both daily. The way I mix my BCAA's tho it ends up being fairly cheap. Mix 1 scoop of MTS Machine Fuel in a half gallon of water(those two are potent in flavor can't do that with all BCAA's). Just look at it as a 0 calorie drink and extra BCAA's can't hurt.

Realize that the "cheaper" the supplement, the chances of having more "filler" and contaminated product may be present. Supplements DON'T go through the same kind of quality control as other products for intake.
    Hence it's not uncommon to find ingredients in them that aren't even on the label. And that would include ingredients that could cause people to fail drug tests (IE college athletes).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rmelton07
    rmelton07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Suppliments are expensive, and the results (assuming your diet and excersize are on point) are minimal, so I don't recommend them in most cases.
    I take whey before lifting (mainly because my job makes it hard to have adequate protien prior), BCAAs during lifting and cardio, and 2.5g of Creatine daily, along with fish oil.
    The results with and without suppliments are definitely noticable, but not night and day.
    I continue to purchase and use them because for me, they work, and I want to get every last possible benefit out of the work I'm putting in, and that little extra is worth it. Supplements DO have advantageous effects, but whether those minute effects justify an extra ~$50 a month is purely based on personal preference.