Losing motivation

Options
I have been logging for 120 days. I have lost 37 lbs! I feel better and look better....but....I'm losing motivation. I'm half way done. I need to loose another 35-40 lbs. Started at 245 and down to 207. I'm noticing I skip logging my dinners. I'm feeling a bit burnt out by tracking. I'm afraid if I stop completely I'll stop losing weight. I just need a mental/emotional boost.

Replies

• HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    maybe just tell yourself that you will take the weekend or a week off from logging? have a day that you plan to start again but have a break? You've done amazing work losing that much already!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    what keeps me logging is knowing that if I go back to eating the way I was(the cause of the weight gain),that I will possibly gain the weight back,and knowing how much better I feel without the extra weight.Is what motivates me to keep going.I dont ever want to be back where I was.
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Look how far you've come!!! I agree, take a day, or several, off from logging. Test your maintenance routine out for a bit. Just remember your long term goal. Even a short term goal of getting out of the 200s. Plan on a reward for hitting the 100s! Good luck!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just the fact you are here with this topic, is sure proof that you already know the answer! Keep doing what you are doing ! Don't look back! You look fab and before you know it, you will be at your goal...keep pushin sister!!!!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I feel like that some days too. Especially when life gets a hold of you, I can sometimes be difficult to move forward. I don't know if you work out at home or go to the gym, but maybe doing something new will help motivate you or switching up what you eat, food prepping or even finding a new hobby. Today I took a bunch of before photos. After looking at those, I'm definitely motivated to move my rear!!
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The progress you made is amazing!! To keep up your logs try putting reminders on your phone first thing for a certain time. If you feel it's too much do your logs at the end of the day. Maybe you need to vary things up. Plan things. I make sure I start my day first thing with a workout or I get so sluggish and lose motive if I don't and never get anywhere. If you're halfway you can definitely get through the other half you get closer each day to your goals!
  • ateasmurf63
    ateasmurf63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have progress pics, try to put a current one side by side and keep it somewhere visible. It might help remind you why you're doing this! (:
    Good luck!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just look in the mirror, or think about all the clothes that now fit better. You can easily take a day or two off of logging and still
    stay on track. You've made it this far due to your great desire and strong commitment. You can easily go the rest of the way.
    You,will feel so much better about yourself for taking these steps. You are doing great, reward yourself a bit this weekend and jump back in the
    fire with us on Monday.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ella. Switch some stuff up. Find some new recipes to excite you, Try a new work out or sport. When we go on vacation I am planning on renting a kayak to see if I like it. Keep it fresh.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Motivation is overrated. Eventually it gets down to determination. You've gotten into the habit of tracking, defend it. Fight for yourself. No one else is going to do it.
    Love this quote. Fight for it. Keep logging but eat at maintenance for a while. It will feel like a break but won't get you out of the habits you've developed or make you go backwards. Stay strong!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for 120 days. I have lost 37 lbs! I feel better and look better....but....I'm losing motivation. I'm half way done. I need to loose another 35-40 lbs. Started at 245 and down to 207. I'm noticing I skip logging my dinners. I'm feeling a bit burnt out by tracking. I'm afraid if I stop completely I'll stop losing weight. I just need a mental/emotional boost.

You may benefit from taking a break... check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10481830/the-diet-break/p1

As long as you don't go over your maintenance calories you won't gain weight (not beyond normal fluctuations anyway), but it may do you good to stop actually losing for a couple of weeks or more just to rest and refocus mentally, especially if you're feeling burnt out. (When you start restricting again, make sure you update your current weight so that MFP will calculate your new calorie goal correctly.)

And as others have said, determination is the thing that will see you through! Take a little break, then get back at it... you can do this! :)
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I struggle with motivation too sometimes- I'm reasonably new to MFP- this time- but the fact that it's not the first time I've been on this journey shows that I struggle with motivation!
    I always find it easiest to pre-log.... so I log for the day in the morning (or even the night before as I get ready for bed). Makes it easier to plan ahead, know what I'm eating, it can help me to resist temptation- and it means that I don't have to worry about picking up my phone to log for the rest of the day!
  • shellifish7295
    shellifish7295 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I struggle with motivation too sometimes- I'm reasonably new to MFP- this time- but the fact that it's not the first time I've been on this journey shows that I struggle with motivation!
    I always find it easiest to pre-log.... so I log for the day in the morning (or even the night before as I get ready for bed). Makes it easier to plan ahead, know what I'm eating, it can help me to resist temptation- and it means that I don't have to worry about picking up my phone to log for the rest of the day!

I completely agree with this. I meal prep for the week and log what I eat in the morning when I have my breakfast. The only thing I log throughout the day is my water in take so I can make sure I drink enough because I forget.
    Also a good group of motivational friends can really help too. I find even though I have logged all my meals and my exercise logs automatically from my watch, I want to log in to see how my friends are doing and to motivate them. Because seeing how they are doing makes me want to do better when I'm having a hard day.
  • gabrudromero
    gabrudromero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Great video