Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    A little background on myself.

I have lifted (on and off) for ten years or so. I lift 4 times a week (2x upper body and 2x lower body). If I had to, I would consider myself to be at an intermediate level. With that said, I am a “plain” lifter. I mainly do the same lifts and adapt them to my goal by adjusting number of reps/sets, rest time and diet. My workouts more or less consist of barbell squats, barbell lunges, leg curls and extensions, bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, tricep pushdowns, lat pulldown, cable seated row and I'm sure I forgot one or two, but the idea is one lift per muscle group/workout. I like “in and out” workouts. I usually keep them at 40-45 mins long. I prefer it that way and thats what my schedule permits.

Right now I am on a cut, combine that with not being super dedicated the past few years and my strength has suffered. After this cut I am thinking about starting a strength program. Around 5 years ago I tried Stronglifts and that’s the only program I have ever done or know. Based on the information above, please suggest your favorite program.

Or should I just keep doing my own thing? My strategies have worked for the most part, I am just wondering if there is another way to work smarter and be more efficent.

Thank you

Cut then hit strong lifts, there's no harm in that, however be prepared to include loads of protein into your diet if you want to stay lean and lower either the fats or carbs. That is if you don't mind a slower progression in terms of strength.

Otherwise it's bulk and cut. (there's a reason power lifters and strongmen aren't lean)

Except there are actually a lot of lean powerlifters out there...? Jesse Norris is one of the first that comes to mind. I can come up with many more.
    There's also many dual athletes that actually do both bodybuilding AND strength sports.

Jesse works out at my gym. He's a BEAST! I'm not sure I'd call him "lean." But he definitely isn't fat.

That's what I get for thinking I could drop names ;)
    after checking his recent IG posts it looks like he's gotten a little fluffier than I remembered haha. Idk I would still consider him pretty lean, especially by "powerlifter" standards. Suppose it's all relative on what people consider to be "lean" though.

He's awesome, and not built like this...

ytt5wx76fec3.jpg

which is what I think of when I think "powerlifter." (And I am one.)

Jesse, for everyone following along (he's been nursing an injury, @TresaAswegan, probably explains the physique change) ;)

fe8qk7cx802k.jpg
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    If you're going to keep doing your own thing, I highly recommend you pick up "Scientific Principles of Strength Training"

One of the authors also has a video series on Youtube where he talks about what's in the book.

Thank you
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    I like Wendler's 5/3/1, but another program I've done, which I think is awesome is Steve Shaw's Power Muscle Burn. There's a 3, 4, and 5 day split variation depending on what works best for your schedule. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

How long do you rest when working for strength?
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    I like Wendler's 5/3/1, but another program I've done, which I think is awesome is Steve Shaw's Power Muscle Burn. There's a 3, 4, and 5 day split variation depending on what works best for your schedule. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html

How long do you rest when working for strength?

Between sets? As long as I need to LOL