Binge Eating... A Disorder? Help!

Options
als797
als797 Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2017 in Motivation and Support
I had NO idea binge eating was a disorder! I have heard of belemia and anorexia, but not just binge as a disorder. I thought everyone binge eats, just some of us more than others. I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder two months ago. I'm on medication and it seems to be helping. Anyone else out there like this? Thoughts? Input? Thanks!

Replies

• Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I binge eat but presumed it was normal too. Like every Wednesday I literally eat what ever I want to the point I feel sick (but I'm physically not), think I'm just being a pig though lol. Done this for a long as I can remember.
  • als797
    als797 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was referred to a non surgical bariatric doctor. I had to complete a huge questionnaire and this was a conclusion. My binge was not specific to a day/time certain food. However, I felt like I had zero control and no regrets until maybe days later. No nausea.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    als797 wrote: »
    I had NO idea binge eating was a disorder! I have heard of belemia and anorexia, but not just binge as a disorder. I thought everyone binge eats, just some of us more than others. I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder two months ago. I'm on medication and it seems to be helping. Anyone else out there like this? Thoughts? Input? Thanks!

Are you taking vyvanse?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    There's nothing normal about eating until you're sick. A long time ago I used to have episodes so bad where I'd fall to the floor choking on vomit. Always emotionally induced. Unfortunately there is a huge stigma surrounding it. "Just don't eat so much". Especially as a man, going to therapists for help with it was an exercise in futility. I wouldn't consider myself cured, but I've learned to deal with it a bit better over time. Mostly just not having that much food available is enough of a deterrent, and of course combatting the emotional issues (anxiety, depression) that used to trigger the behavior.

I never heard of medication for binge eating though. At least none had ever been offered to me, but again, even though I've gone to therapists specifically for that issue, there seems to be little to no interest in helping men with any sort of eating disorder. I'm not sure why. "Just don't eat so much" ... well no, that wasn't the problem. The problem was when I would get stressed out and eat so much I was close to death. But no one wants to hear that side of it. They just want to shame people for being fat and not address the surrounding issues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    als797 wrote: »

are you having any talking therapy or just the medication?
  • dawnrlovitt
    dawnrlovitt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sought help after I realized I might have the disorder. For me...it started as anxiety from pain. Over time it just got to the point that on days that I could not manage my pain, I would eat all day long. No control. My doctor put me on Pristiq 6 weeks ago. I would say it is a 70 - 80% improvement.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was put on ADHD medication which helped resolve many of the emotional triggers for my episodes. Ultimately "therapy" of getting involved with sports that while you compete against others you also heavily compete against yourself (lifting, crossfit, and most recently running) required dialed in nutrition and MONTHS of eating for performance goals and focusing on I need to eat this much now and this much later with a dedication level of weighing everything and prepping meals ) has helped redefine my mental relationship with food. It's not about "just eat less" it's about retraining your body to deal with stress be it physical or emotional. I still have to be careful when I "maintain" or eventually when I "mass" not to indulge too heavily but to have a healthy relationship with why I am eating what I am eating. It takes time and dedication but it is possible to get to a place where you essentially are capable of living somewhat normally.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with BED not that long ago, but have had it for a very long time. I would sometimes eat until I physically hurt. I am on the list to see someone about it, but have so far been waiting two months... In the meantime, I've been doing something similar to CrystalRose. I started going to the gym, and had a good hard look at why I binge eat.
    Part of it was simple, other parts I am still figuring out. I would have a smoothie for breakfast, and soup for lunch - all liquid, no solid foods, and no snacks. By the time I was ready to go home from work, I was absolutely starving and would pop into the shop and want to eat all of the chocolate in sight. If I did reach home, without eating, I would chuck a pizza in the oven and eat the entire pizza myself followed by a tub of ice cream.
    So now I actually eat food, prep, have snacks, emergency banana at the ready and eat at specific times. I still make the occasional slip up, and still struggle with things like when I am stressed. But having what seems like a rigid lifestyle is actually working. It is hard work, but my body is thanking me for it. And by the time I see the therapist lady, I hope to be in a place where I will only need a couple of sessions.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also have binge eating disorder. I get away with it weight wise just about because I'm really active. Decided to stop once and for all a few weeks ago as I constantly feel rubbish and my self confidence is so low. I'm in therapy. Just trying to eat three solid meals a day at the moment which seems to be working. And I've set a few rules; no eating in bed, enjoying treats with friends rather than on my own and not overeating post excersise. I'm surviving so far.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that you could get medication for BED and would be interested to know what it is and what it does. I've never been formally diagnosed but have been a binge eater for many years.