Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CRP debate

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    healthline.com/health/c-reactive-protein?m=0#overview1

"What is C-reactive protein?
    Highlights
    A C-reactive protein (CRP) test can help doctors determine your risk for heart disease or stroke.
    A Harvard study found CRP to be more effective than cholesterol at predicting coronary issues in women.
    Pregnancy, arthritis, lupus, pneumonia, and cancer can cause an especially high CRP......"

To me this sounds like a screening test more like PSA, lipid panels, etc.

At less than $40 out the door it is a good base line screening for most anyone wanting to improve their health with changes of diet and exercise in my view. Yes it does not tell us WHY this marker may be elevated but it is more meaningful than a personal opinion of what is going on inside it seems.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I understand what CRP measures and what it's purpose is - is a common blood test and one I deal with in my work place all the time.

It's purpose, as I said before , is to measure inflammation markers - so relevant in monitoring auto immune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or in measuring infection levels in infectious disease.

It does not have any purpose or relevance in context of sugar consumption.

Thanks for this. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It's pretty alarming that shady supplement sites are new shilling low value blood tests for people to try to self-diagnose their health status. It's pretty clear that they're preying on people who don't have a clue how to vet scientific sources online, just like they have been doing with sketchy supplements for years. With tests, however, people who take the wrong conclusions from the tests can end up harming themselves.

The online lab sites I use are not "shady supplement sites" and don't offer anything but blood work. www.healthcheckusa, www.directlabs. There are others I use, but those are two. Neither sells supplements. Life Extension has a long history in the supplement industry. I don't use their lab orders because others are cheaper, but I wouldn't have an issue using them if they were the only one in existence.

I am thankful for the ability to get blood work that I can order online and have run at a local lab. We use this service all.the.time. It saves us a ton of money by doing it ourselves rather then running to the doctor to get it done. There are a few blood tests I do this way and then take the results to my doctor which she then reviews before renewing my armour. You seem to assume that people using this service have no idea what they are looking for or reading in the test results. I would submit that *most* of the people using this service are either doing so because it's cheaper to have the tests run this way and then take the results to their doctor for review OR, as is my case, have more then average knowledge of the things they are testing for and therefore do understand exactly what the test results are showing. The average joe likely doesn't even know they can get their own blood work run and if they do know it, many would be intimidated by doing so. I have friends that don't do it because they don't know how to read the results and would prefer their doctor do it. And I have friends that have more "expertise" in certain areas then the darn doctor does and I would prefer to go over my results with them if I didn't understand something.

So, no, this isn't alarming. I would not monitor several health markers that I should monitor if I had to go to a doctor to do so. When/if I ever get one that is way off, I will determine if a visit to my physician is in order. Until then, I'm my best own doctor and I'm cheaper then my regular physician as well. I hope they never do away with online blood testing orders.