Melting Pot Restaurant

Options
Low carb/high fat dinner options, what to order and what to stay away from suggestions. Please

Replies

• irxproductions
    irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Melting Pot is a heck of a challenge. The entree fondues are typically fine because they're just broth, vegetables, and protein. With the cheese fondues, try to avoid the dipping breads and stick to the veggies and fruits. Watch your portions. The dessert fondues are an even bigger challenge. Again, watch your portions and avoid the pastries, sticking to the berries and other fruit for dipping.

A key trick to remember is that it takes food 20 minutes to get from your mouth to your stomach, so your brain will continue to think you're hungry even after you've eaten. Take your time. Growing up, my family was made up entirely of fast eaters. It took me quite some time when I was losing weight to rediscover the enjoyment of food by pacing myself.

That being said, if you can really moderate yourself, be sure to enjoy yourself! It's so delicious. When I go to a fondue place, I really practice the incredibly popular "mindful eating" phenomenon. Basically, remember that you're not trying to get full on the cheese and dessert courses so chew very slowly and concentrate on the delicious flavor of the food. Dessert isn't there to make us full, it's there for us to enjoy the flavor. Small bites, lots of chewing, and really focus on the flavor. Savor it.

All that out of the way - make sure to have fun!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you really want to stick to your goal - MP is hard - the food is soo good - I'd do the veggies and cheese, avoid the bread; the salad you should be ok and the main fine...but you'd be best to avoid dessert (boo) - since it is high carb with all the sweets

personally, I'd just make it a whatever day, enjoy it and then get back on the wagon
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Love the Melting Pot! In this case, I would just go and enjoy it, unless there are health-related issues you need to take into account. :)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Good thing about MP is you tend to eat the food slower so your fullness cues will trigger better.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy your day and eat whatever you want. One day isn't going to ruin your diet completely.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Melting Pot is the kind of night where I cringe, pre-log 3000 calories, and get back on the wagon the next day.
    It's so expensive, but so delicious!
    And now I want to go there.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Melting pot is amazing. Just take that day as a loss calorie-wise and enjoy yourself. Or you could skip the dessert which often times my husband and I cant even eat anyway after the salad, cheese, and entrée.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    We only indulge in Melting Pot once in a blue moon, so I just go for it. I don't worry about counting ANYTHING. I have all the wine, all the cheese, all the meats and ALL of the desserts. It's one day and usually a special occasion so I don't care about logging it.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I got deathly sick when I ate there one time so I've never been back. I'd rather go to a Japanese restaurant and use the same amount of calories on food that won't make me sick lol. And yes, the meat I ate was fully cooked! Probably a little over-cooked if anything. I wish I liked it though because it was a really cool experience. :)
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Another option is to buy a fondue pot, i received one as a wedding present after mentioning to a friend how much I enjoyed MP. I use my own vegetable broth and only use meat and veggies, I still over indulge a little, but knowing I can weigh it at home and it saves a ton of money is a huge plus!
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We only indulge in Melting Pot once in a blue moon, so I just go for it. I don't worry about counting ANYTHING. I have all the wine, all the cheese, all the meats and ALL of the desserts. It's one day and usually a special occasion so I don't care about logging it.

This!! I can only afford to go like once a year or every other year anyway so I'm going to enjoy it!
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Cost too much to cook your own food. I'd rather go somewhere else like a steak house.