I'm Scared.

Options
Hi, there. I've had an epiphany recently. I am not living a healthy life. I don't eat enough, and I don't exercise. And I'm gonna really try and change that. But I'm scared. I'm 18, male, 123lbs (56kg) and 5,6"(168cm). I've been getting approximately 1600 calories a day, without doing anything, and maintaining my weight. I should be getting approximately 2100, and I even though I'm walking and doing cardio (push-ups/punching bag/etc.) I'm really, really scared of gaining a lot of weight and looking fat. What do I do?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase calories, eat lots of protein, lift weights!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    See a mental health provider to get to the root of it too.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Gradually increasing calories and working to build muscle is a good idea. You won't look fat with muscle, and at your weight, it would probably take dozens of pounds before you looked fat. If you suffer from body image issues, talk to a professional. They really do help.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I suggest you to give yourself a break from the weighing scale. Weight always fluctuates. Been there, and its been 4 months and I haven't checked my weight on the scale, just base it on how your clothes fit you. My clothes seemed to get a bit tighter since I started lifting weights, but still fits. I know its difficult but try to relax and eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. Slowly increase your calories by maybe increasing your snack? trail mix? Btw, what is your goal? Do you want to build muscle and look good without getting 'bulky'? or just maintaining your current physique?
  • WillCatterick
    WillCatterick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome replies!
  • WillCatterick
    WillCatterick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Alechua I would like to tone myself a bit, but I don't want to look too muscular. The sort of skinny muscular body.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    @Alechua I would like to tone myself a bit, but I don't want to look too muscular. The sort of skinny muscular body.

I know men can get way more muscular than women but there is a limit to what a man can do naturally. Some of your physique will be due to genetics.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options

If you are just starting, try doing bodyweight workout. like lunges, push up, tricep push up, planks, or if you want to join a gym and lift weights or yoga. believe me it takes alot of effort and time to build muscle, and building some muscles keeps you healthy. Instead of taking supplements to build muscle try to focus on eating whole foods. As you keep tourself active try to increase your food little by little to allow your body to adjust. Just avoid too much cardio. Been a cardio junkie before, just do hiit some days but focus on gaining strength! :smile:

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're not going to look too muscular even eating at 2100 calories. It takes a lot of work and food to look too muscular. Nobody becomes an accidental bodybuilder.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What you need to do is get counseling for your eating disorder and body image issues.