2»

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    One of my favorite sites:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

When you find your food - the listing for Energy kcal = the calories.

Watch the serving sizes. And as said before always weigh your food. it is going to be a while before you can make realistic estimates.

• davenfarts88
    davenfarts88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know actual ounces so ive been using my portion cups and then if I eat half of the cup I log half the serving same with pre packaged items I am understanding that weight makes a huge difference I'm new to all the healthy eating can you suggest fiber rich foods please and I've noticed the lack of protein also
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This is why you need a food scale! The cups/slices/rolls you're using as measurements could be varying hugely in size and weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    thanks @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink That's the video I was talking about :smile:
  • julven
    julven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its a mathematical equation: your body needs fuel (calories) for everything (including breathing, sitting upright, and exercising). This is your basic metabolic rate. A rough estimate of BMR is your weight x 10 and (again very roughly) if you only eat that much in calories a day and do not exercise CONSISTENTLY (every day) you will maintain your current weight. If you weigh 275 lbs, that is 2750 in daily calories to maintain. If you are really intaking only 1000-1100 calories a day, you are at 1600 or so calorie deficit daily, x 7 days = 11,200 calories a WEEK less than you need just to wake up and breath every morning. This is not including any exercise you may do. A deficit of 3500 calories is one pound of fat (again, a bit of a simplification, if your body burns/eats its muscle tissue--ie protein--instead of its fat tissue, the calories are different; and not eating enough protein will cause your body to eat muscle in addition to fat, as it needs amino acids from protein to perform activities of life). Quite frankly, there is no way you are eating 1000-1100 calories a day and plateauing for any length of time unless you weigh 110 pounds. I agree with the "weigh your food" comments, your calculations are most definitely off at 1100 calories a day.

However it is unrealistic to call a few days without change a plateau or a stall. A day/a few days without weight change, that can be water weight, as noted, often period fluctuations, or just daily changes. For your education/interest, weigh yourself 3-5 times a day for three days and write down the results. I am shocked by how many people will say "I lost 10 pounds last week". Unless they ate 35,000 fewer calories or worked out to burn 35,000 calories, that didn't happen. What may have happened though, is they lost a few actual weight pounds and then happened to weight themselves at a water heavy time to start and a water light time to finish! Also remember, not eating enough is self sabotaging. Your body will think it is starving to death (which it is) and will hold on to every single calorie in the most productive manner (fat, not protein). You are working against your goals if you do not fuel your body properly.
  • davenfarts88
    Options
    So clearly that 1 need to brush up on my counting a scale will help there 2 I am not getting enough protein and 3 I'm expecting too much too soon I'm too quickly assuming I'm stuck I've lost 11 lbs since I started it's been like five weeks I will be looking on to everything I've been told I appreciate all the information I will keep moving forward thanks
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I have portion cups and I log everything I'm definitely sure of calorie intake I don't add my calories burnt I just exercise so I'm not too sure what you mean by that ?does not getting enough protein maybe hold me back ? I eat mostly veggies boiled eggs salad with vinegar whole grain crackers or wraps all my meat is baked :/

Ditch the cups and get a cheap food scale from Amazon or Walmart. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit, not protein or "healthy" food. You can still eat in a surplus with those items. And cups are highly inaccurate due to inconsistencies in volume.

Agreed. My food scale was $11 on amazon and it's great. Can weigh in pounds, ounces and grams. I was surprised at what a portion by weight looks like!
  • HappyCamperSteve
    HappyCamperSteve Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're on phentermine, why don't you check out phentermine.com? My sister used it and she found the site helpful. I see other people suggested nutritionists - definitely. Sometimes changing our lifestyle habits is not as easy as it sounds 'cause it depends on so many outside factors---since I moved to Spain, I walk way more and do more outdoor activities, as well as cook more instead of having take-out or dining out. In the end, we're all different too, so I suggest visiting a professional first to check out what works best for your body type etc.
    Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Portion cups are not accurate like using digital food scales - someone hopefully will post the video that shows an example of how far they can be off.
    How long is this stall been? at your weight 1100 calories is minuscule to eat per day IF that is was you were truly eating so something is not right with your logging.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • davenfarts88
    Options
    Thank you all very much