2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Beachbody coaches are trying to make sales. They make sales partly based on people's reviews and seeing results. If they get a bunch of people saying "I tried Hammer and Chisel and it didn't make any difference at all," that lowers sales. And can be extra frustrating if the people really didn't fully try the program and are wondering why they didn't see a difference.

Now I've seen the other end of the oversensitivity for sure. In a bodypump class, my husband modified a bench press to help with a shoulder injury (just changed to a neutral grip) and the instructor freaked out.

That said, if you don't use a coach, and have your threshold set at "happy I am moving and exercising" what do you care what other people's coaches think?
    Good pint .. I guess it's just because I was looking for support! Which I did not get!

They'll support you if they think they can make money off of you.
    But they may right.... there is always another program coming out all the time. So why would of be negative? Being negative will only lose them their next sale...

I think it was more of them trying to make you feel like they are the experts. Get someone to depend on you for information and it's easier to sell them shakes or videos.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any exercise is better than none...but really, I wouldn't see the point in paying/having a coach if you didn't have goals that went beyond just moving a little more and getting some general exercise.

I have a coach and I pay him handsomely when I work with him and he provides me programming based on my stated goals and I trust that he is providing me with the best training protocol to achieve those things...so not sure why I wouldn't follow his program as outlined. If I just went off and did something else, I'd more or less be wasting his time.

ETA: just flip flopping around and doing randomness is also a good way to develop muscular imbalances

Just referring to beachbody coaches. That's all. Should of added it to my original post

Ah...the only thing I know about beach body coach's is that pretty much anyone can be one and they're for the most part sales.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the main problem I am seeing is "beachbody"...

ditch it and go with strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, etc...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on the programme.

When doing something that is more cardio oriented, 30day shred etc, I don't worry if I switch a move out so long as I am moving.

When I am lifting it is a different story. The lifts are designed so the most taxing comes first, and the accessories come last, and so the same muscle group is not used consecutively, and each muscle group gets a pull and a push. This gives you the best workout with the least stress and chance of injury, following the lift order is in your best interest.
    Same with sets and reps, they are designed to give one the optimum results.

I don't find a problem with having to work up to a routine as written so long as one is following the programme and realizing it is a variation. ie: Push-ups started from the wall, Squats started with dumbbells.

If you are getting grief because you are switching up a programme ask the 'why'. If they can't give you an answer talk to a more seasoned 'coach'.

Cheers, h.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have the BB online but no coach. I am doing H&C but only the lifting workouts. I sub the mainly cardio workouts for trail runs. I don't think anything is wrong with that. I just signed up online so I never had to deal with their coaches.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your goals.... If you want to build significant strength/muscle/conditioning/whatever it may be, you probably won't benefit nearly as much from program jumping as you would from following something specific for a significant amount of time. If you're just a person wanting to get in better shape or lose a few pounds it's not really as crucial, I would agree doing something is better than nothing.

I jumped strength programs for a long time, and it was a waste of time. Time which could have been spent sticking to one program and actually getting stronger.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Sorry all I should of added in my original post, I was just referring to beachbody coaches. Not real coaches!

I'll give my example where it annoyed me. I haven't exercised this year and was starting to get myself up and ready to restart things this week. I decided I was going to go hammer and chisel. But.... I was just going to do the chisel 30 day calendar just to get myself back into routine and motivated. Imo the workouts are very similar to 21 day fix.. once I was able to get past that first month I was going to do the whole program for the 60 days as outlined. My reason for this was cause the chisel workouts are a good combo of everything. Plus sagi irritates me and with just getting back into things I needed to make sure I'm doing something I'll stick with! If I can get through the first 30 days then I'm good in general! But yet 9 out of 10 people I spoke to who are if course beach body coaches all flipped their Gaskets that I was doing that! Only one was supportive and said do what u need. To just to get back into the swing of things. Do what will work and keep u motivated. I was so surprised because I would of thought I would of got a lot more support in the fact I was getting off my *kitten* to begin with!

BB programs are pretty solid in the way they are arranged, although I did think H&C had several instances where you were working the same muscle group 2 days in a row. It wasn't my favorite program, although I did find Sagi to be less annoying. I think as long as you are subbing in comparable workouts, it's fine. I wonder if in this particular instance, the issue is that the 30 day chisel is meant to be done after the program to help maintain results, and they are concerned about the risk of injury if you are just getting back into a routine. I think the chisel workouts were slightly tougher, but the mix of workouts gave a little more balance and recovery.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none...but really, I wouldn't see the point in paying/having a coach if you didn't have goals that went beyond just moving a little more and getting some general exercise.

I have a coach and I pay him handsomely when I work with him and he provides me programming based on my stated goals and I trust that he is providing me with the best training protocol to achieve those things...so not sure why I wouldn't follow his program as outlined. If I just went off and did something else, I'd more or less be wasting his time.

ETA: just flip flopping around and doing randomness is also a good way to develop muscular imbalances

Just referring to beachbody coaches. That's all. Should of added it to my original post

Ah...the only thing I know about beach body coach's is that pretty much anyone can be one and they're for the most part sales.

Anybody with $39.99 in their pocket can become a beachbody "coach". It requires no knowledge, education or training in regards to health, nutrition or fitness. It says so right in their "coach" FAQ:
    Do I need to be a fitness expert?

No, you don’t need to be a fitness or weight-loss expert to become a Beachbody Coach. You just need to be ready to commit to changing your life.

All they are is shake peddlers. Most of them know diddly-squat about fitness or nutrition. They paid their $39.99 and now they get to call themselves "coaches" and peddle their Snakeoilogy.

As it relates to the original question, with the added context of pertaining specifically to beachbody workouts, the "coaches" don't know enough to understand how to scale a workout or build progression into it. All they know is "Here's a video, push play and follow along". They aren't trained any further than that. But they can sure sell you a crappy, overpriced shake and spout the company line about all the miraculous, magical stuff in it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good pint .. I guess it's just because I was looking for support! Which I did not get!
    see I have been friends with these gals for years. So I thought they would show support.

makes sense that you would think expect that. but i think this speaks more to your friends [and maybe 'your friends in combination with beachbody'] than 'people' in general.

i don't blame you for being disappointed. i just don't think that it's really about who's 'right' and 'wrong' here in the more technical programming sense. what i'm hearing it comes down to is: your friends disappointed you. so you could either ditch the friends or try talking to them about it and see what comes out of that.

and meanwhile in your shoes i'd probably stick to confiding in the one who reacted more sensibly. i don't talk to every one of my friends about every workout because a) some of them aren't interested, b) some of them know nothing about it, so they don't have much to say back, c) some of them are interested in me and they care, but they know nothing about it and tend to freak out.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    it depends on the program, your goals and your experience.
    If you are a complete beginner (or just a beginner at a specific sport/exercise routine) being creative might even get you hurt.
    If you have very specific goals, usually you also follow a strict routine.
    But for the people in between, with some experience and just looking for general fitness, it si not that big of a problem
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the main problem I am seeing is "beachbody"...

ditch it and go with strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, etc...

Are any of those a do it at home program that is 30 -45 min max?
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this topic. I rarely stick to the program as it is outlined. The only one I've been close on is T25. I still changed it some since I don't have the time to do 2 workouts on Friday.

I pick and choose what I want to do. If I don't like a workout, I won't do it. For instance, I have P90x3 and there's a handful of the workouts that I do regularly. I really like CVX, so I do that more than any others. I also like Isometrix and Dynamix. But I don't do the others. Same with some of the other programs, I like certain parts and will do those over and not to the others.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't like to spin my wheels, and I don't want other people to waste their time either-if they're really looking for results.

That's why I even pay for my programming. No time to *kitten* around. I'm not 18.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As far as Beachbody I am aTony Horton fan. There is a method to his Madness and the more I do the different workouts I understand what he's trying to do. That said I agree with the other posters some kind of exercise is better than nothing at all.

What you have to remember is health and fitness is just like politics and religion and sometimes you have an a person who believe a certain way and it's all they believe there's no variation. Do what you think is best for you sometimes I burn out a little doing Horton's workouts and I modify but over time like I said they do work and there is a method to his Madness