Anyone else dress completely different when overweight vs not overweight?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I ALWAYS wear my sweaters now. I love hoodies, but when I'm overweight I do not go out without one ever. I won't wear shorts or dresses etc. If I wear a tight shirt, I put a sweater over it. If I wear a t-shirt, I wear a sweater over it. I don't even feel comfortable in regular shoes (just boots). Just curious if it's just me. I've lost 45lbs from my highest weight ever (end of last year) and it's a little better now, but I still feel pretty awful because this is my usual "high" weight area. I still have about 53-54lbs to go

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I wore as big of clothes as possible. Now that I'm lean, I wear basically the same style, but it is usually fitted.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that it probably makes us look bigger but I guess I'd rather look bigger than I am so I know I'm not really as big as I look vs the world knowing my size and how my body really looks and I can't hide it. Lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Work wise, before I put weight back on I wore skirts and dresses every day, now that I've stacked some weight back on, I wear pants. Partly because chub rub, partly because pants and a loose top covers rolls.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear the same things now as i did then. I've never been in to tight fitting tops or short shorts, aka revealing gear.

ETA: My main is aim is comfort, I'm the antithesis to a fashionista :lol:

This is me too. I put a little more effort into my outfits and actually like trying on clothes now, but same style as before, with no cleavage, thighs, cracks on display ever lol
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Well, I wear shorts again. I went 5 years where I was too embarrassed to wear shorts because I heard some people discussing how disgusting fat people in shorts were. Please do not listen to morons like I did - I realize that they were the ones with the problem, not me (in case that scars anyone who reads this)

I digress.

I wear fewer t-shirts, but that's because I can actually find button-down shirts in my size at Goodwill now. I never wore t-shirts at work anyway, though.

I still live in jeans and yoga pants most of the time. I do wear belts now, I never did when I was heavy, but that's mostly because I haven't bought new pants in the last 40 lbs, and my size 10s now fall off without assistance staying up, and my 8s are slipping too. I don't really intend on replacing them any time soon despite technically fitting a size 6 because I don't like skinny leg jeans and I'm REALLY happy that the 10s are starting to be loose in my thighs. I'll buy new jeans when I must but honestly, I cannot wait for the super-trim-cut-pant cycle to end.

I don't have to wear super-cushiony athletic shoes just for running around town, so I bought my first pair of flat sneakers at Target in many, many years a couple weeks ago. I still can't wear heels due to my back, c'est la vie.

I still purchase my nice dresses custom-made; there's nothing that really beats properly tailored apparel for professional wear.

So, mostly I dress the same as I always did, but its easier to dress the way I want to because I can find things in my size now.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear the same things now as i did then. I've never been in to tight fitting tops or short shorts, aka revealing gear.

ETA: My main is aim is comfort, I'm the antithesis to a fashionista :lol:

Yep. I wear for comfort and warmth. It is easier to find clothes when I can wear an 8 than a 32W.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I dress a lot nicer than I did when I was heavier. Part of it is that it's easier to find cute clothes in my size, but also I just feel better about my shape. I wear clothes that are more form fitting, skirts, etc..
    When I was obese, I never wore skirts, and most of my tops wereally baggy. I always figured maybe I could cover up my weight or something. I don't know.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    I'm considered overweight but I still wear clothes that show off my body. It's not like I have rolls of fat on me. When I get back down to 180, I will still continue to wear the same clothes, only difference is I'll be leaner.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Nothing that tucks in or accents the waist when I'm heavy. My legs are pretty decent and muscular even when I'm at my heaviest, but leggings with tunics and never never anything fitted up top. Broad shoulders with fat back so a double whammy. Avoid sleeveless tops as well at heavy - but that's probably an age thing rather than weight since my "slim" arms aren't my favorite body part any more.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of my style, so I keep buy the same exact dress slacks and shirts but in smaller sizes. Went from XXL to small in the span of 2 years.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I went from loose fitting tees and leggings to fitted tees and shorts lol. Sadly I have more gym clothing than regular clothing
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I went from loose fitting tees and leggings to fitted tees and shorts lol. Sadly I have more gym clothing than regular clothing

Preach, running gear is life lol
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't think so. I've lost 23 lbs (still a whole lot more to go) but I've always been a jean and shirt kinda girl lol when I was my smallest I was more self conscious then I Am now. Its taken me a while to love my body no matter what size I am. I just started a new job and the dress is business casual so I've been wearing skirts and dressed which I would never wear before.