Beginner at running

Options
I would really like to start running jogging but I need tips on how to start without hurting myself to bad please help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Can you walk at 4mph (15 min mile) for 3-4 miles on a flat course (or treadmill)?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Use the C25K app. I started literally from 0 and now I run 25 minutes (~2.5 miles) non-stop
  • roatch07
    roatch07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can you walk at 4mph (15 min mile) for 3-4 miles on a flat course (or treadmill)?

I really don't know I think I walk a mile in like 50 minutes no treadmill and it's not all flat that I walk
  • roatch07
    roatch07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Use the C25K app. I started literally from 0 and now I run 25 minutes (~2.5 miles) non-stop

I will have to look it up
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K (Couch to 5K). It will guide you thru short runs and short walks, gradually running for longer periods. When you do start running, run slow. If you can run any slower then you are running too fast. Good luck and have fun.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    roatch07 wrote: »
    ABabilonia wrote: »

I will have to look it up

Just be patient, go slow, and listen to your body. Give yourself at least a day of rest between runs and repeat days/weeks as needed.
  • adifferentattitude
    adifferentattitude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using C25K and its good for me. If there is a day you can't do just keep working on it the next week. The main thing is to remember you are not competing against anyone so go at your own pace. Some days my run feels like it is slower than my walk! LOL you can do it.

One other thing....invest in some GOOD running shoes!!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options

I really don't know I think I walk a mile in like 50 minutes no treadmill and it's not all flat that I walk

Well, no worries! My point is that you can work up to running through walking. It's a great way to start, and can be done in an interval format to boost fitness quickly. My advice is to be able to walk 4mph for 3-4 miles before you move on to running. Avoids injuries.
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think there are several C25K apps available. which is the best?
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when starting out running is going TOO FAST! You should keep a comfortable pace, one in which you'd be able to hold a conversation, as opposed to one in which you are breathing heavy and huffing and puffing. Look up running training programs on the internet. I know of C25k, and also Hal Higdon, plus a few other apps. Slow and steady wins the race and builds you up to where you want to be.

Agree with all of this. Go slow, take walk breaks, and don't try to run a marathon on your first day. Slow, easy build is the key.

And enjoy being outside, hearing the birds, seeing the dawn or sunset, and just focusing on your body. Running is meditative. Feel free to friend me and let me know how it's going.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you might want to work on walking more for now - get to being able to walk a mile in 20 minutes and then increase distance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

you might want to work on walking more for now - get to being able to walk a mile in 20 minutes and then increase distance.

You'll definitely want a solid base, both cardiovascular and muscular/skeletal, before you start running. 2-3 miles at a 3-4 mph pace 2-5 days a week is definitely a good idea before you jump into running.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Amazon has the "Personal Running Trainer" series. I started with 4 weeks to a mile. If you feel that's too much: start walking a half mile a day, it's a walk nice and gentle. After a week, or so, depending on how you feel, up it by a quarter mile. After a week, or so, up it another quarter. Once you get to two miles walking, warm up with a half mile walk, SLOWLY run/jog a quarter and walk the rest. SLOWLY increase your running/jogging segments at the expense of your walking segments. Continue to increase distance slowly while increasing your running vs. walking.

You can also buy any one of a number of training programs which will tell you what needs to be done (I used the Personal Running Trainer series from Amazon, many recommend the Couch to ? series). Remember, there is no shame in repeating a week, session or any section of any program. You progress at YOUR rate. Gently increasing distance will avoid getting hurt.

Most of all, enjoy the run.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I think there are several C25K apps available. which is the best?

The one YOU like and will use. I gotta believe that they are pretty much similar if not the same.
  • Deresha1977
    Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the c25k. Theres more than ine though. I did the nhs one and had Sarah Milican as my coach :/:smiley: let us know how you get on.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Start with walking for 30-60 minutes several times a week. When you can do that easily, then start a couch to 5k program or something similar. I did the one on Cool Running, but there are others. They start with a mixture of walking and jogging. Gradually the running segments get longer. At the end of 9 weeks, you should be able to run for 30 minutes non-stop. They are very effective. However, they will be easier if you have some basic fitness already, which you can get with walking.