What nutrition plan works for you?

Options
I gave up meat (except for fish occasionally and i do eat eggs), I don't do any dairy whatsoever, (whey, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, milk, coffee creamer) I gave up dairy first, then I gave up beef first. It was so hard, I love burgers and steak so i thought I wouldn't be able to do it. After about 1 month I was feeling so much better, then I thought well that wasn't so bad. I moved on to giving up chicken, and so on. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I do keep eggs and fish in my diet and that is based on tons of research I have done and found that this seems to be healthiest way to eat. I didn't realize it until I got fit just how much dairy affects the body. I would have one shaker cup of whey protein and within an hour I would look like I was 6 months pregnant! I use a plant-based protein powder now. Just curious what works for you? Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I use IIFYM for whatever my goal is, whether it's to gain muscle or prep for comps. I gave up restricting everything I thought was unhealthy, and stopped labelling food good or bad after realising how unhealthy it actually was. I *thought* I had a pile of food issues, because I'd eliminated so much that everything gave me problems. Now I eat everything and anything... If
    I like it.

This is what I do also.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am pretty flexible. I do eat mostly nutrient dense foods, base my meals around protein when I am in deficit, and when I'm bulking I base my meals more around carbs. Most of my meals are home cooked/prepared. Meat, dairy, eggs, fish are all main parts of my diet as well as a variety of veggies. And at the end of the day I always try to save room for some ice cream :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Same here - IIFYM and calorie deficit. Although... I did give up dairy except for the once in a while ice cream and I do use a grass fed whey product because the plant based ones just weren't cutting it! I eat red meat about once every three months or so if I am feeling tired... iron deficient.
  • helenrenee007
    helenrenee007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love hearing all of the responses and what works best for you! I taste tested so many plant based proteins, most of them are awful! I do like the Raw Fusion brand, the chocolate one is pretty good with PB2 and a tsp of instant coffee. I do LOVE coffee, mostly Americano's from Caribou Coffee in Minnesota. Living in England now and it's hard to find a good Americano. At least Starbucks they have weak ones here, I have them add an extra shot ;) Also, for a cheat I love Ben and Jerry's Vegan Ice Cream. Gotta have a cheat once in awhile! Thank you to everyone who has responded!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything, weighed and logged.
  • czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to take what works for me and run with it. I practice IF, I eat within a 6-8 hour window daily. I am not 100% with this, but pretty much follow that all the time.
    I use meal replacement shakes for a meal or two per day, and eat low carb most of the time.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Iifym x 3
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've tried to give up meat over the years since so many people seem convinced it's not that good for you and I never really liked it in any quantity. It turns out I feel best when I eat plenty of meat, particularly non-poultry meat. I've actually had to learn to eat more of it. I do well with fish, too. And lots of vegetables. For some reason, I always feel best if I have at least 1 egg at breakfast. Even if I have other proteins to start my day, I notice a difference in my energy levels all day.

I eat dairy, but I've also gone without it for periods of time. It seems to be a neutral in terms of how I feel and perform, but I like cheese and milk so I eat it.

I don't feel well if I eat much fruit or sugar. Soy makes me feel horrible. My body seems to like carbs and starches in moderation.

I do believe we all react a bit differently to foods and we all have to experiment to see what works best for us.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love hearing all of the responses and what works best for you! I taste tested so many plant based proteins, most of them are awful! I do like the Raw Fusion brand, the chocolate one is pretty good with PB2 and a tsp of instant coffee. I do LOVE coffee, mostly Americano's from Caribou Coffee in Minnesota. Living in England now and it's hard to find a good Americano. At least Starbucks they have weak ones here, I have them add an extra shot ;) Also, for a cheat I love Ben and Jerry's Vegan Ice Cream. Gotta have a cheat once in awhile! Thank you to everyone who has responded!

Unless you don't.... I just make food fit my goals
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. I focus overall on proper nutrition, but I make room for foods low in nutrients.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Flexible dieting.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, moving toward vegan, but not for weight loss reasons. I eat what I want, and make it fit my calorie allowance.