I'm running a 5K on Saturday! (I have questions!)

Options

Replies

• Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    In the week I run at 6.30am and don't eat before hand, but on Saturday I go to parkrun which is 5k and starts at 9am so I have a small cereal bar which has oats, nuts & seeds in. Keeps me going, good energy but small enough that it doesnt make me feel ill when running. I eat this at 7.30 so an hour and a half before.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I train/run fasted in the mornings- I can't stand to have food on my stomach while working out. I also have a tendency to eat most of my daily calories at dinner anyway, so I don't feel like I am running on "empty" to train fasted that way.

But seriously, don't try anything before a race that you haven't tried before. I made that mistake with socks and that a HORRIBLE experience. Don't do it.

But at the end of the day, have fun and enjoy it :) You have been working hard, you will do great :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think my boyfriend ran 16 miles yesterday without food. He's still alive.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Though, I haven't heard from him since
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think you are overthinking this a bit. It's a 5k. There just isn't a situation in which you burn though your normal energy stores for a run that distance unless you have been intentionally starving yourself before hand.

Just go about your normal routine, eat whatever it is you would normally eat on a Friday night. If you normally train fasted then just do that, enjoy the run and then have breakfast afterwards.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It is not a really long race, but you need to fuel before ANY exercise. It is just crucial.

Crucial? The 10km I ran this morning fasted might just contradict that.

Your body stores enough glycogen to fuel about 90 minutes of moderate exercise, there are lots of runners who go out fasted every morning. If my run is going to exceed 90 min I'll eat something light a couple of hours before heading out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It is not a really long race, but you need to fuel before ANY exercise. It is just crucial.

Crucial? The 10km I ran this morning fasted might just contradict that.

Your body stores enough glycogen to fuel about 90 minutes of moderate exercise, there are lots of runners who go out fasted every morning. If my run is going to exceed 90 min I'll eat something light a couple of hours before heading out.

^^^Cosigned. Very rarely do I eat anything before I run, and never before a 5k-10k race. Tops would be 10oz of Gatorade or something like that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat 1.5-2 hours before the race. Something light, perhaps banana and peanut butter, a yogurt, or make an overnight oatmeal (there are plenty of recipes on Pinterest). Do not eat anything new the night before. It is not a really long race, but you need to fuel before ANY exercise. It is just crucial. It is just the amount and type of food that is important. Have something that won't weight you down.

I would not recommend any heavy running or exercise on Friday. You could do some walking, stretching, or calisthenics.

Good luck and have fun!

I run 5K+ distances all the time while fasted. If someone wants to eat something before a 5K, they should. But it is completely untrue that everyone needs to eat before any exercise.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before 5Ks either. I do have a protein shake and something light before way longer runs, like 5+ miles.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've decided to keep to my normal habit and go fasting.

This is only my second ever race- the first one being so long ago. I'm excited! I completed C25K on Good Friday and I've been doing practice 5K runs since. I'm new to running, but I'm addicted to it. :-)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Though, I haven't heard from him since

:D:D
    I died laughing
  • Deresha1977
    Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This is only my second ever race- the first one being so long ago. I'm excited! I completed C25K on Good Friday and I've been doing practice 5K runs since. I'm new to running, but I'm addicted to it. :-)

Good luck on Saturday. I did the c25k last year and have been running most weeks since. I did my first parkrun last week and loved it. I run on empty, and have a piece of fruit or a protein shake AFTER. Just don't take it too seriously snd remember to enjoy yourself. :smile:
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just don't take it too seriously and remember to enjoy yourself. :smile:

Having fun is my plan. The race theme is the 80's. LOL

I know I won't win any prizes. I'm just happy to be well enough to run this year. 2016 was a bust, healthwise-- thyroid issues and a hysterectomy!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Just don't take it too seriously and remember to enjoy yourself. :smile:

Having fun is my plan. The race theme is the 80's. LOL

I know I won't win any prizes. I'm just happy to be well enough to run this year. 2016 was a bust, healthwise-- thyroid issues and a hysterectomy!

That sounds like serious fun. Hope the shoulder-pads and legwarmers don't hold you back.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Be very careful. The 5K, innocent enough by itself, is a gateway race. Before you know it, you're doing 4 and 5 mile races, 10Ks, 10 milers and, gasp, half and full marathons.

I know having done a Half Marathon this past September.

Hi, I'm Frank and I'm a runner ;-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Personally I'm comfortable fasted up to 10-12 miles.

For a 5K threshold run of I had anything beforehand I'd throw up.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eat like normal Friday, no reason for carb loading on a 5k. Train light friday. I wouldn't eat day of, its only two hours difference. Maybe have a cup of coffee if you drink coffee.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat 1.5-2 hours before the race. Something light, perhaps banana and peanut butter, a yogurt, or make an overnight oatmeal (there are plenty of recipes on Pinterest). Do not eat anything new the night before. It is not a really long race, but you need to fuel before ANY exercise. It is just crucial. It is just the amount and type of food that is important. Have something that won't weight you down.

I would not recommend any heavy running or exercise on Friday. You could do some walking, stretching, or calisthenics.

Good luck and have fun!

Why do you need to fuel before any exercise? I have trained up to full marathon and have always trained fasted up to 20 miles. I have raced 1/2 marathons with no calories only coffee before and water. Your body has enough glycogen to power you for a long way and training fasted is an excellent way to train your body to burn more fat and less carbs during exercise.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5K of the year last weekend. Here is what I had for breakfast: 1/2 cup of oatmeal, a medium banana, and 1 tbsp of almond butter. I had this 2 and a half hours before the race and I was fine. It may sound silly, but remember to use the bathroom before your race.

On Friday I did some light Kettlebell training. My last run before the race was Wednesday.