I gain weight so quickly and need some pointers to help stop it

Options
First week of 2016, I gained 20 pounds of fat when I went to the hospital. Never came off, so it wasn't water weight. That was around the time when I actually made an effort to exercise often and watch what I eat.

Just today, I went on the scale and found that I gained about 10 pounds since this past week, probably friday. So about 4 days of rapid weight gain. I gained 60 pounds in the year 2016 alone and have gained 30 pounds so far this year. Approx weight gain because I don't keep a log

I know I eat a lot and have a crappy sleep schedule (insomia), and can't get much exercise.
I can control how much I eat but I can't really control my exercise because the grouphome staff often don't want to go on walks with me because "Honey, I don't do that". I'm changing grouphome companies very soon, so hopefully I can get some walking in.

I know what's basically causing me to gain weight, I just don't understand why so much in such a short amount of time

My family has a history of thyroid cancer but every time I get tested Im clean. I recently got diagnosed with diabetes and still need to get stuff set up and will get an appoitment in soon. Don't know much about diabetes other than it contribute to weight gain.

The diabetes wouldnt explain why I've been gaining weight rapidly since like 9th or 10th grade in high school. I'm going to be graduating from senior year this year.

Other info
-18 years
-was 180-190 poundsa the start of 9th grade
-about 285 pounds as of this morning
-rapidly gain weight in short bursts, no change in eating habits or exercise habits during these periods.
-five foot 3

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @mitch16 unless there's a possibility your scales are broken, you are well outside the realm of issues that a forum of strangers can help you with. Seek medical advice.
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Eat healthy.
    Exercise.
    Drink water.
    Workout
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Eat healthy.
    Exercise.
    Drink water.
    Workout
    All good tips, but the first one would be eat less. And as stated above, the OP has medical conditions that need dealt with primarily.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've a feeling that the sudden weight increases still might be thyroid related. For me, the recommended dose of medication is nearly every time different when a blood test is done, suggesting that my thyroid also is working less bad on some days than on others.
    Some people find a connection with jodium intake and thyroid function. Keep a diary where you try and track this, to discover a relationship if any.
    If you find that with more jodium you don't gain weight, you know where to go.
    For the diabetes, depending on the type (insulin resistent - "type 2" or any type "in between 1 and 2"), it's possible that if you loose weight, you might not need medication anymore or less medication, and even then it'll need to be followed up because it can change.
    You'll probably be sent to a dietician for your diabetes, if not, it would be a good starting point too.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you have access to a pc you can look online for easy at home exercises to do, you don't have to go for walks or have expensive equipment to exercise, you can do jogging/running on the spot, walking around the home, sit ups, wall push ups, crunches, google easy at home exercises or something similar for ideas, with your medical conditions maybe ask a doctor what they would suggest, they may put you on a special diet, I understand about the fast weight gain, I am one of those people that only have to look at a slice of cake and gain weight, but seriously the exercise you do even just a little can help with watching your calories, I would really recommend logging & weighing everything even gum and mints as it will let you see what your eating habits are and what to change, I wish you all the best.