Anyone else dress completely different when overweight vs not overweight?

Options

Replies

• kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is interesting! I have a different experience than most. When I was (more) overweight, I was really into plus size fashion and I loved wearing dresses, cardigans, and really girly stuff. I think it's because I was so big and tall that I didn't feel like a proper woman so I went overboard with the cutesy stuff.

Now that I have lost some weight (80 lbs with more to go), I am actually enjoying the more... tailored look? more menswear inspired women's clothes. Like I actually enjoy black and slim fit t-shirts and jackets.

I'm sure my style will change more as I have only just reached the top end of straight sizes.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I dress completely differently now, in maintenance, than what I did before when I was overweight. I used to live in sweatshirts, loose tees and baggy jeans. Now I only own one pair of (skinny) jeans, no sweats/tees and pretty much only wear dresses/tunics with leggings now. I also wear shorts and a swimsuit, which I didn't even own before!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My style is about the same. I'll just wear brighter colors and add in prints when I'm more toned up (as in, not trying to hide). Though for an event I do LOVE pulling out a sheath dress vs. a hip-hiding a-line.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Definitely dress differently. At my heaviest, I wore dark or neutral colours and just stuck to pants & sweater, sometimes a jacket (for work). Now, as I'm losing weight, I'm preferring brighter colours, accessories - in general, more stylish!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wear the same things now as i did then. I've never been in to tight fitting tops or short shorts, aka revealing gear.

ETA: My main is aim is comfort, I'm the antithesis of a fashionista :lol:

Same here.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I've never been not-overweight. :/
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! When I'm overweight, you can't really tell that I have a sense of style like you can when I'm skinny. When I'm skinny, I'm very into fashion! I love everything from boho, girly trends, country rugged, etc. When I'm overweight, it's pretty much whatever I find at Lane Bryant that I think is cute.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I dress different after my 90 lb loss for sure.

One of the biggest differences is my boobs are so much smaller so I don't have mondo cleavage anymore with low cut shirts. I used to have to layer or wear higher cut shirts because of the cleavage issue but now I can wear more variety in necklines and not worry about looking unprofessional.

I also wear shorts and skirts and dresses now when I never did before because they were uncomfortable with my thighs.

I do get cold ALL the time so I'm often throwing a light sweatshirt over pretty much anything. I'm looking forward to some warm days this summer!
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Same stuff, just 4-5 sizes smaller.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love shopping and went deep into plus sized fashion for a while, but I stopped going to my favorite store because I was moving from school to working professional and needed to change my work look. It is HARD to find a plus size suit- it really upset me when I was looking at my highest weight. Transitioning from full-time student to working professional has been an big style change for me. Since I don't have a lot of money, most of my work clothes "double" as casual clothes, just paired with jeans instead or dress up a top with a nice blazer or cardigan. So I would almost say life has changed my style a bit more than weight loss, but weight loss has made it easier to shop in a larger variety of stores for what I need.

Well, I do add workout clothes to my shopping list and my wardrobe is getting MUCH bigger there :)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    My wardrobe is BLACK everything, isn't black slimming?! Lol, I am starting to choose actual colors in new clothes that I buy, for me that's big lol

I did all black tops and dresses when I was 89lbs because it hid my visible ribs. I think many people use black clothing to hide what they don't like.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I tuck my shirts in now. It's more comfortable and helps keep my pants up. It also stops the bottom of the shirts of belling out at the bottom. I also wear my pants where they're supposed to go now (on my waist instead of my hips). Otherwise it's the same style of clothing (jeans, slacks, polos, tees) but they look infinitely better because they fit better. When clothes fit better they look less sloppy.

I've also shifted to more t-shirts than polos because if I wear a tee, I don't have to worry about swapping my shirt out when I hit the gym.
  • msima1002
    msima1002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I dress differently for shure! I try to hide my lumps and chunks with sweaters or baggy clothing. I used to wear leggings with shorter tops but now I hide my butt :p I went from 145 to 130 to 180. Now, I wear sweaters and long shirts! And obviously a tank top over my bikini! Next summer, I hope to be back in my leggings and bikini :) Good luck to you!
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I'm really lean I tend to wear clothes that are form fitting or sometimes short. The second I gain a little fluff I'm back in hoodies and jeans. But I get really embarrassed about gaining any weight - as if I've failed or given up or something so maybe I think hiding the evidence behind baggy clothes will help with the shame?

Yes I wear coke zero when I'm heavier than I want to be and when I'm a bit healthier I wear water and nice jumpers. I wear jeans in both incidences then.
    Death stare to judgement for drinking coke zero/pepsi max though.
    Don't soda shame me :(
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger I wore flouncy A-line dresses from Anthropologie. I couldn't wear boots because my calves didn't fit. I couldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt because the blubber through the shirt didn't look sexy.

Now I can't wear flouncy stuff because my muscles look stupid in it. I prefer a more modern clean cut. When I first lost the weight I was just about turning 30, and wore some pretty tight dresses. This year I'll be 32 though and am preferring designer jeans, some shiny sneakers or well made booties, and a t-shirt tucked in just a little.

So yeah, my style has changed. I love that I can finally go out wearing a t-shirt and jeans and look fashionable.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I was overweight I wore a lot more baggy clothing...I wear a lot more form fitting clothing now.

^ This exactly.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    ge67m3dprfix.png

<3

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight I wore whatever I found that fit. My clothes fit but weren't necessarily nice looking or flattering. Now I can find flattering clothes a bit more easily, but it's still a challenge. I carry all excess weight in my stomach/midsection. Finding tops that fit and look nice is not easy since many are cut for women who have more inward curve in that area. The opposite--tops that are more flowy--tend to look like maternity tops on me. Clothing the top half of my body is frustrating.

On the flip side, I'm good with my legs. One of my friends told me that if she had my legs she'd never wear pants. I don't go naked but I do wear more skirts/dresses (and heels) than ever.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I had to wear my husbands clothes, sweats and baggy tshirts when I was obese. I wouldn't spend time or money fixing myself up. I thought I'd look like a painted pig.

Now I wear colors, especially in workout clothes. I wear pastels, I love girly dresses, heels and makeup (see profile picture!) I also love fitted sweaters and jeans and leather or suede boots, the higher the shaft and heel the better, in fall and winter. I bought 3 swimsuits for the summer, and a pair of size 2 shorts that look wonderful. I enjoy dressing well now.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mmm ... yes and no. No because overall, I'm just a leggings/shorts/sometimes jeans and tee kind of girl. It's just when I was a size 10/11 I'd wear shorts but they would ride up between my legs and I'd always be self consciously trying to tug them down or do a "waddle" so maybe they'd wiggle back down without me looking like I'm digging in my butt. And I'd wear t-shirts but I'd constantly be pulling at them, especially if the wind was blowing backward. Now I'm a size 2/3 and I still wear my leggings and shorts (admittedly probably shorter) and tees, I just walk with my head up and more pep in my step. I'm more confident in the same clothes

Yes because on the off occasion that I do have to dress up, it's not as much of a chore as before cuz I look in the mirror and think to myself "damn you are killing this dress". Plus I'm graduating and slowly stocking up on my work clothes and a lot of the things I'm picking out now, I don't think I would have if I were bigger. No way was I tucking in a shirt with some pixie pants or wearing a shift dress. It was always bootcut slacks and a flow-y top for anything remotely fancy I needed to attend.