Fast food

Options

Replies

• dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I found this thread looking for help with fast food. I love it. I am addicted to it. I saw a post about 30 day no fast food challenge from a few years ago. Does anyone want to try it with me?
  • nefeli89
    nefeli89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing. I am a fast food junkie. I noticed that even when I was eating 2 burgers the day lets say, so I was in my allowed calories/day, I didn't notice any weight loss. I started cooking because of this reason since when you cook you know your ingredients, the amount of oil and fats you use and you have more control.
    Just started and will see how it goes! :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I ate Wendy's every single day in April and lost 1.25lbs/week. If I'm getting something like a McChicken I'll ask for the sauce on the side (those packets of mayo are more accurate than the 15yo kid squirting in on in the kitchen lol) You just need to be mindful and have some common sense but fast food can be a convenient option even when you're cutting.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    OP's most recent visit was 5 days ago. I dont' think the problem is the mayo on the fast food and it is likely more a case of intermittent logging. RIP with no clue how much you're eating OP
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OP's most recent visit was 5 days ago. I dont' think the problem is the mayo on the fast food and it is likely more a case of intermittent logging. RIP with no clue how much you're eating OP

The most recent visit information displayed in a Community usercard is for the MFP Community section of the MFP program only. One should not assume that users are not logging in and using their main MFP account based on that one piece of information.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You said you're horrible at logging week ends. That's probably your problem.

Ditto to this. When I don't log weekends, I don't lose weight. And it's not like I'm going crazy with it. I just don't have a lot of margin for error at this point and you may not either.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

The most recent visit information displayed in a Community usercard is for the MFP Community section of the MFP program only. One should not assume that users are not logging in and using their main MFP account based on that one piece of information.

I thought it was mfp in general, my bad. Still think it's a case of IL but I see what you mean.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Cut out the fast food. Buy a food scale and make ur food at home logging in ur own recipes. This is the only way.

No, it isn't. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can do that cooking your own food at home or you can do it with food prepared by others.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cut out the fast food. Buy a food scale and make ur food at home logging in ur own recipes. This is the only way.

Huh. I lost 60+ pounds eating fast food at least once a week.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I know many others have covered this, but anyone who thinks they have "the only way" to lose weight, are wrong.

There are many ways to lose weight. There are many ways to lose weight that are perfectly healthy. There is not "one way" to lose weight.

MFP is primarily a calorie counting site. So the focus here tends to be on calorie counting. But there are loads of other healthy ways to lose weight. This is just the one that works for me, and it include fast food on occasion.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Mmm! Fast food!

If I get takeout I will usually choose the one thing I know I will really love - say, French fries - weigh it and enter the calories, and then bulk out with veggies and add a protein if I need to.

If I get 600 calories for dinner and eat a 300 calorie portion of fries, to give an example, that still leaves 300 calories for veggies, chicken, etc. I need bulk so this is how I do it.

I bake chicken or whatever protein in batches and let it hang out in the fridge during the week for grab and go.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road a lot, so I eat out more than I'd like. Still, as of today I've lost 25lbs. I just log everything, and I'm careful.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah - if you're going to be eating out a lot? Order takeout at least once and weigh your portions. Compare with the portions on the nutritional information. Do they match? If not, either do the math to figure out how off they might be, or don't eat the whole thing you're given.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing something like the Whole30 for a month. Eat lots of whole foods. Salmon, eggs, chicken, pork, brussels sprouts, broccoli -- then add in some quinoa and complex grains. Enjoy good salads, nuts, etc. Use lots of olive oil! Make good, delicious foods and eat until you're satiated.

You'll lose weight.

Your body isn't designed to be a calorie garbage disposal, as too many on this forum seem to suggest. Yes, counting can be helpful (I keep a rough daily count, personally -- and use the app on and off to help w/ it). But just trying to "cut calories" by eating just enough fast food to maintain a deficit -- honestly -- sounds really difficult -- it sound awful. As others have said, it'll be difficult to accurately track, you'll likely be hungry a lot and find it difficult to sustain long-term.

That's not to say that Fast Food is a never! I love a Five Guys meal or a Wendy's Crispy Chicken every month or so -- but find I'd rather use that special occasion meal for something like ribs or a meal out instead.

Anyway, good luck! That's just my advice.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I recommend doing something like the Whole30 for a month. Eat lots of whole foods. Salmon, eggs, chicken, pork, brussels sprouts, broccoli -- then add in some quinoa and complex grains. Enjoy good salads, nuts, etc. Use lots of olive oil! Make good, delicious foods and eat until you're satiated.

You'll lose weight.

Your body isn't designed to be a calorie garbage disposal, as too many on this forum seem to suggest. Yes, counting can be helpful (I keep a rough daily count, personally -- and use the app on and off to help w/ it). But just trying to "cut calories" by eating just enough fast food to maintain a deficit -- honestly -- sounds really difficult -- it sound awful. As others have said, it'll be difficult to accurately track, you'll likely be hungry a lot and find it difficult to sustain long-term.

That's not to say that Fast Food is a never! I love a Five Guys meal or a Wendy's Crispy Chicken every month or so -- but find I'd rather use that special occasion meal for something like ribs or a meal out instead.

You know what happens when I eat lots of whole foods, including nuts, grains, and "lots" of olive oil?

It isn't weight loss.

I know some people lose weight on Whole30, but others don't.

A weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. You can do that on Whole30, you can do it without it.

I'm talking about me personally. Yes, this is anecdotal.

If I'm on a Standard American Diet -- I'm hungry all the time, digestion is wrecked, my workouts are more difficult (or they don't happen at all) and dieting is a painful, painful chore.

When I eat whole foods and cook, I feel better -- I'm more motivated to exercise, my skin clears up, I digest food better. I lose weight with sensible portions and I eat until I'm full. It's a good feeling.

I'm sharing my experience and suggesting folks try it. The defensiveness with which some people here blast clean-eating is seriously bizarre.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

You'll lose weight.

You know what happens when I eat lots of whole foods, including nuts, grains, and "lots" of olive oil?

It isn't weight loss.

A weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. You can do that on Whole30, you can do it without it.

If I'm on a Standard American Diet -- I'm hungry all the time, digestion is wrecked, my workouts are more difficult (or they don't happen at all) and dieting is a painful, painful chore.

When I eat whole foods and cook, I feel better -- I'm more motivated to exercise, my skin clears up, I digest food better. I lose weight with sensible portions and I eat until I'm full. It's a good feeling.

I'm sharing my experience and suggesting folks try it. The defensiveness with which some people here blast clean-eating is seriously bizarre.

When I am on a diets such as you described, I put weight on because I am never satisfied. Different strokes for different folks. I find the only thing that works for me is establishing a calorie deficit by counting calories. When I stop doing that trying intuitive eating, eating all natural home prepared foods, etc. I get put weight on. I am all for people trying different things. If they work to establish a calorie deficit without counting, all power to them. Sadly, experience tells me they don't work for me.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

You'll lose weight.

It isn't weight loss.

Since when doesn't the standard America diet (whatever that means) include cooking meals out of food?