Fast food

Options
I'm going to just be honest here. I'm a fast food junkie. I try to make obvious healthy choices.

I don't cook much at all.

I literally eat most meals as fast food. I log it all. I stay within my caloric goals and workout burning 500-1000 calories a day.

I haven't lost a single pound.

I know the ideal answer would be "you need to eat at home"

But a calorie is a calorie correct? Maybe not. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'm feel discouraged after not seeing the scale move when I feel like I'm logging EVERYTHING down to a package of sauce if I use it. Always have a deficit and still nothing.

MFP has me eating 1400 calories for a 2 lb a week loss. I pretty much eat the 1400 a day. I don't eat much of my workout calories back so almost days MFP still says I have 700-1000 calories left to eat.

Any insight would be helpful. Sorry for the ramble

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging and not seeing any loss?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In another post you mentioned you had 600-1000 calorie daily burns. This one shows you eat fast food for most of your meals. Given that a 16yo kid is putting who knows how much mayo on your junior chicken that could be off by 20% on a GOOD day, coupled with some generous burns it's not that surprising. You're probably eating more than you think and burning less than you think. Try eating back only 25% of those exercise cals and maybe asking for calorie dense things on the side. I know you can get mcchicken sauce (mayo) in a packet where you would know the exact weight etc. Good luck!
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Jdog022 has a good point. Things like portion size can be really important. You may have eaten "fries", but there can be a 500 calorie difference (or more?) between small fries and large fries. It may be worth checking into whether your portion sizes in reality match with serving sizes of the listed nutrtion facts.

Otherwise, yes, a calorie is a calorie. You could eat 1400 calories worth of twinkies and as long as your maintenance calorie level is over 1400 and your twinkie calorie math is correct, you will lose weight. So the issue has to be that (somewhere, somehow) you are eating more than 1400 net calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well the good thing is that the calories listed for fast food is likely to be correct because fast food places make money through consistency. The likely answer is that there is something that you aren't logging.
  • Bran_mob08
    Bran_mob08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I don't get anything with mayo etc.

For instance I eat egg mcmuffins a lot

Chick fil a grilled nuggets a lot

Subway turkey sandwich a lot (oil and vinegar)

Eggs whites when I can from places.

So I'm not just going to fast food and eating burger and fries. I'm trying to at least choose healthier options.

Let me make my diary public. I'm trying to figure out how.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with fast food. I eat Wendy's chilli nearly every single day, and I've been known to hit the all day breakfast menu at McDonald's but there definitely is a problem in your data if you're not losing after a month. I'll take a peek at your diary and see if I see anything that stands out :)
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You seem to be a bit hung up on this concept of "healthy" . Forget that. You can get fat on any food on the planet if you are consuming them a surplus of what your body uses. That includes egg mcmuffins or a subway Turkey sandwich.

Sure yes those are likely lower calories then some deep fried whatever but the bottom line is your are not in a calorie deficit.

Have you been logging and doing this for at least a few months? Could just need more time if this has only been a week or two.
  • Bran_mob08
    Options
    Okay I'm being wishy washy on these discussions I apologize.

I've been logging for 2 weeks. Horrible at logging weekends.

Been working out a month and was logging on weight watchers at first. Then came here.

Diary is public now.

Sorry for being all over the place. I'm just stressing out and I think in my mind I feel like I've been doing this SO LONG when in reality its been consistent logging since Monday. I annoy myself
  • Bran_mob08
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    You seem to be a bit hung up on this concept of "healthy" . Forget that. You can get fat on any food on the planet if you are consuming them a surplus of what your body uses. That includes egg mcmuffins or a subway Turkey sandwich.

Sure yes those are likely lower calories then some deep fried whatever but the bottom line is your are not in a calorie deficit.

Have you been logging and doing this for at least a few months? Could just need more time if this has only been a week or two.

I thought it was longer but it's been a darn consistent logging week. I just need to stop being impatient
  • jdog022
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We all totally and completely understand. We have all been right here. I think you have answered your own questions here and that's going to go a long way.

One thing worth mentioning is FF of any kind is usually pretty high on sodium which will have you hold onto water. that can mask fat loss for a bit. be patient stick with it. reassess in a few weeks and check back if you logged 7 days a week 100% and have lost nothing
  • Bran_mob08
    Options
    We all totally and completely understand. We have all been right here. I think you have answered your own questions here and that's going to go a long way.

One thing worth mentioning is FF of any kind is usually pretty high on sodium which will have you hold onto water. that can mask fat loss for a bit. be patient stick with it. reassess in a few weeks and check back if you logged 7 days a week 100% and have lost nothing

Thank you!! I'm going to do that. It's amazing when you "diet" you feel like you've done it so much longer. I try not to be so fixated on numbers but I am
  • jdog022
    Options
    what is really crazy is how it evolves over time. How your tastes change. How much easier and seemless it becomes. Now it's just how I eat. wieghing my food is just what I do. Not doing that feels wierd now
  • Bran_mob08
    Options
    what is really crazy is how it evolves over time. How your tastes change. How much easier and seemless it becomes. Now it's just how I eat. wieghing my food is just what I do. Not doing that feels wierd now

On my other post when I said I weigh my food.. what I meant by that was when it's not fast food I do weigh. Again, I'm very inconsistent on these post because I try to answer to quickly without explanation LOL.

I cook a lot of egg whites at home and turkey bacon etc on the weekends (when I don't log) and I weigh all of it out. When it's fast food I never weigh because I just pull the nutrition info off the app. Going to try and log this weekend consistently.

I over indulged tonight due to my negative attitude so I sucks to log it but I'm going to.
  • jdog022
    Options
    Don't worry on the over indulge. I think what separates the success stories vs non is just getting back to it the next day vs letting one bad day set off 100 straight bad days. I went 1k over last Sat. no biggie. logged it all and moved on
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Could I ask what sort of workout you're doing to be burning 500-1000 calories a day? 1000 calories would be in the range of a 10 mile run for someone around 180 pounds.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I will have to disagree with those who say that the calories for fast food are going to be much higher than listed. Fast food places, at least the big names, when tested by independent labs come out very close to the published numbers. This is largely due to the fairly small margin they run on, and the very regimented preparation procedure. This is quite different than a sit down restaurant where the cooks have a lot of flexibility in preparation.

If you have not been consistently logging, that is weekends being bad, it is very easy to destroy your calorie deficit in those days.

Nutritionally, it would be wise to try to eat more home cooked foods, especially veggies, but you can lose using fast food. A good example would be the guy in the movie Fat Heads. While there are shortcomings in that movie, it does show that consistently eating fast food while tracking calories will bring weight loss.