Two Questions from A New Dieter

Options
I'm doing the low carb, high protein diet. So this is only day #2.....here are my questions:

1. I have horrible headaches last night and today, I'm sure this is sugar withdrawals or something. Any advice on getting through the first few days as far as fatigue and especially headaches go?

2. What is your stance on cheat days? Do you think one day a week totally unravels your other 6, or do you think that it keeps you from plateau?

Thanks,
CF

Replies

• mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For the headaches, make sure you're getting lots of water! Hydration is key. I would also go to bed early if possible (if you're bothered at night). During the day, having an advil or two will most likely help. As for cheat days, I do not recommend them, especially if you have a history of overeating/binge eating like I do. I just try to incorporate my cravings into my everyday goals. For example, I assure that my calories are distributed so that I can have dessert after dinner every night. Doing cheat days can definitely affect your progress if you go overboard with caloric intake, and if the next day you can't stop yourself from eating things you shouldn't because now you've had a taste of what you've been missing!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1. I have no idea. I've never experienced this. I don't officially eat low carb but do eat lower carb. There's a big spectrum ranging from low to high so I'm not really sure what you are doing and how it may be affecting your headaches. But I don't get headaches while cutting calories.

2. I support one day per week eating at maintenance and sometimes (birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving) just not worrying about things. But I don't like cheat days as most people take them as license to eat whatever they want and however much they want of it. It is very easy for people to negate a week's worth of deficits doing that. Especially if they are fat because they tend to binge and get out of control with eating to start with.
  • glitterng
    glitterng Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, CF! I was on Atkins a few years back and lost a lot of weight with it until medical issues interferred and I gained it all back. Bummer. For the headaches, are you normally a big coffee/caffeine drinker? Maybe a bit of caffeine would help. As far as the fatigue, after day three or four, wow, your energy is going to SOAR. You just have to wait the fatigue out. I looked at it this way: Your body is used to doing the easy thing, getting energy from the junk carbs and sugars you used to eat. It's basically having to re-wire itself to get its energy from your store of energy; i.e., fat, instead. Your body is not happy with this extra work, so it makes you tired and headachy trying to get you to go back to the easy way. However, once it realizes you're not going to give into the demands, it will start using your stored fat (and a little muscle) to convert to energy, and voila! Your energy goes WAY up.

As far as a cheat day, hmmm.....I would wait a month or two, depending on how much you have to lose. You want your body to make it a habit of taking energy from your stored fat, rather than the instant carbs you put into it. Maybe when you're half way to goal a cheat day every now and then is okay. You'll still not GAIN weight if you have a cheat day, but you also will not be losing weight for that day, and maybe a few days after as well. The one thing you do not want to do is get your body back to using the "easy" calories and have to go through the headachy/fatigue deal all over again.

Keep with it, keep clean, and you WILL do well! Be sure to transition correctly when nearing your goal so your body (and your mind!) know how to eat properly for YOU. Meaning you add back one carb thingy at a time, wait a few weeks and see if you're still losing weight (good), maintaining weight (neutral) or gaining weight (bad food.) Hope you are able to stick to it, as it really DOES do good. I can't go back on due to health problems, but seriously. I lost 60lbs in 5 months on it. And, hey, any diet that says you can have lots of bacon is good to me! LOL
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1. Have you suddenly stopped drinking sodas/coffee with caffeine? If so, this could be the issue. You could try to wean yourself off instead of cold turkey.

2. Depends on the #s. If you eat at a 750 deficit 6 days a week but eat 4500 over maintenance one day, you'll wipe out your deficit and maintain. "Cheating" is a matter of personal opinion and means something different to each person. If by cheating you mean stuff your face full all day without regard to calories then you'll probably have trouble succeeding in weight loss. If you mean eating a bit more one day here & there, but still at a reasonable amount overall where you stay in control of your food choices, you'll probably be fine.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    1. I get Sunday headaches sometimes. I realized it was because I just don't get enough to drink on Saturday. It feels like a hangover (which, hangovers are pretty much major dehydration).

2. I'm not a big fan of cheat days. I try to fit food in, either through lighter meals during other parts of the day, or adding calories through exercise. I'm not standard though - I struggle with binge eating and while I'm in a good spot now where a cheat meal would probably be fine, they may also serve as a trigger and make a nice evening into a session.
  • luvhr2
    luvhr2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi CF - there's some great advice on this thread. My only experience with headaches when making a diet change is that your body is probably going through withdrawals due to the detox. As far as cheat days, I use to refer to it like that but I now call it smart days!! Smart meaning I'm makin choices that will not derail all the great work I'm doing. It's ok to have a meal that you love that's high in calories but be smart about how much of it you put in your mouth. This is what has helped me. I hope this little info has helped you and I wish you all the success in your weight loss journey!!!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    1. Have you suddenly stopped drinking sodas/coffee with caffeine? If so, this could be the issue. You could try to wean yourself off instead of cold turkey.

2. Depends on the #s. If you eat at a 750 deficit 6 days a week but eat 4500 over maintenance one day, you'll wipe out your deficit and maintain. "Cheating" is a matter of personal opinion and means something different to each person. If by cheating you mean stuff your face full all day without regard to calories then you'll probably have trouble succeeding in weight loss. If you mean eating a bit more one day here & there, but still at a reasonable amount overall where you stay in control of your food choices, you'll probably be fine.

As a former heavy (as in a whole lot of coca cola) soda drinker, I can vouch for that. When I did Atkins years ago, and it didn't work because I cheated, the cold turkey cutoff gave me huge headaches. When I got into meticulously counting calories, I realized that I could include some sugar, carbs and "bad foods" along with my "healthy foods" and budgeted everything. Now, I have Coke whenever I want, provided I have the 'budget' for it. Never had the associated headaches, despite sometimes going a week or two without. I think the double-whammy of caffeine withdrawal and sudden carb withdrawal probably work together - but that's not scientific, just my own experience.

OP, as far as cheat days go, that does depend entirely on what you define as a cheat day. Within the context of low-carb, I'm not sure what a spike in carbs will do for you. A "cheat" day for me is eating up to maintenance, but as of right now I'm working with a 750 calorie deficit. I have yet to actually eat at maintenance in several months. I also tend to let my deficit vary within a few hundred each day with the eye on the weekly deficit that matters. (That will change as I get closer to goal I'm sure).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there because I don't know myself. On keto, would a cheat day of extra carbs really be advised? Would it throw you out of ketosis and you have to start over again (along with the initial side effects?) Maybe the OP just meant a cheat day of more calories of low-carb foods, though. If you do up carbs for a day, OP, for sure you will see a water weight spike on the scale, but it's just that, not an indicator of fat gain/loss.
  • c_ward1983
    c_ward1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Headaches are most likely dehydration or caffeine withdrawal. Sugar lows will make you moody and tired, but won't give you headaches. If you had a high sugar diet before, then it will take about a week for your body to adjust to a new diet (providing you don't have diabetes). I would suggest getting some caffeine pills from the drugstore and pop half a pill in the morning or early afternoon. 50mg pill should keep the headaches away. Otherwise drink black coffee or tea, no calories in there.
  • KetoBetsy
    KetoBetsy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A full cheat day is definitely not a good idea. If anything I would recommend having a cheat meal every two weeks. Trying to avoid sweet things while cheating is also a good idea because it helps your palette forget about that taste completely and not crave. Hope that helps!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Low carb eating causes you to offload a lot of water at first. It's what makes it encouraging, because you can suddenly find yourself 5 or more pounds lighter, but it also can lead to dehydration. Drink a lot more water than you usually do. You will pee it out.

I lost a lot of weight on Atkins several years ago. I found that after a month or so, I needed to have something high carb or I wouldn't stick to the diet at all. So I would either have a 'cheat meal' or just one or two foods on a weekend that were not on the diet, like a baked potato, ice cream or beer. Some people can limit themselves that way; others end up binging and destroying weeks of hard work. I suggest you try to eat to plan for at least a month, enjoy the feeling of watching the pounds disappear, then see if you need to "cheat" or not.
  • npguy2013
    npguy2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all. I work at a hospital at night, so I think the dehydration thing may be legitimate. I did drink some sodas before, and I had one last night (DIET) only one, just to see if it would help, but ultimately two tylenol and lying in the hospital call room for an hour helped most.

As far as the cheat day, I was wondering the same thing as someone said above, if it would reset the clock on Atkins/keto and that you would have to start over, go through carb withdrawals, etc. again. I think I may just take it day by day for now, but you know those summer beach trips coming up, maybe I can just find some good grilled seafood at some place when we all go out.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a cheat day or meal on a low-carb plan. I might eat a higher quantity of something high in fat, like natural peanut butter combined with unsweetened cocoa powder, or avocado. There are some good paleo desserts. You have to watch sugar if that's your plan or the cravings will come back.

The headache you describe sounds like the "low carb flu" and it goes away. If you go off plan and come back to this, you probably won't experience this again as much.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would get headaches too but I used to think it was because I was eating so much less and probably not enough. Good luck :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Water
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, no cheat days. Simple, huh?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    A lot of water and a lot of sleep will definitely help. In addition to that, maybe think about starting slowly and just eating lower carbs than what you're used to. I can't imagine eating low carb, I would have a hard time sticking with it long term.

I'm not a doctor or professional but I have lost a good amount of weight and tried a lot of different things. Many people will have opinions but what has worked for me is doing it the good old fashion way.

Sleep plenty. Drink a lot of water. Eat healthy. When you want that pizza or cupcake, eat it just eat reasonable and account for it the rest of the day. Exercise, cardio and lift 3-5 days a week-make it count. Don't give up. You will have ups and downs both mentally and on the scale, keep your eye on the prize. Take a daily selfie and cardio pic so you can see your progress. Put you first. Save a few calories for before bed snack. Most of all when you feel like giving up, don't. When you screw up, tell yourself it's time to look forward.

My personal opinion....skip the cleanses, skip the pills, skip the fads, the apple cider vingegar. It will be a lot easier to maintain for life.

Nutritionists are covered fully due to legislation in the US for many. Try checking it out if you need that boost.

I know many will tell you otherwise, this is just my opinion. Friend me if you'd like :)
  • Kerry_Loo
    Kerry_Loo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for nearly 3 months. The first 3 weeks I had an awful recurring tension headache. I rode it out as i read this was a common side effect and eventually they eased and i never get them now. Just make sure you're replenishing your water and electrolytes. I wouldn't cheat either. I succumbed to cravings in the first month and my weight fluctuated up and down. I never really lost any weight. If you cheat you're encouraging the cravings. Just ride it out. I'm three months in and finally fat adapted. I don't feel hungry and i don't crave carbs anymore. The reason keto has been such a success for me I think is because I've trained my brain to look at food now and see macros instead of something that tastes nice. Good luck and you can add me as a friend if like. ☺
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Google Keto flu. When you first drop carbs you pee out a ton of water and with it you get your electrolytes out of whack. I've actually found I lose better eating 40-50% of cals in carbs but when I did low carb I got the Keto flu and my headaches and fatigue were bad the first week or two. Drinking broth and/or Propel helped tremendously. Just drinking more water will not really help because it doesn't help replace the electrolytes. Pickles have a lot of sodium and seemed to help too.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Forget about cheat days all together. Cheating defeats the whole purpose which is eating responsibly and learning healthy sustainable eating habits. Forget the word diet to while you are at it. Diets don't work. The word you are looking for is budget. For example, my calorie budget is 2500 per day but that doesn't mean I have to eat the same amount every day or split them evenly among my meals. I can have a light lunch to fit in a big dinner. I can also save up throughout the week. I could eat 2300 calories Monday through Friday and have 1000 extra calories on Saturday without going over my budget for the week. I eat pretty "clean" for the most part but I still enjoy treats and still eat out when I want and have lost over 140 pounds. If I can do it, anybody can.