Worried about what I am teaching my daughter

Options
Throughout my early to mid twenties I suffered from bulimia. I also suffered with excessive exercise and restricting. I grew up in a normal household but was always on the bigger side, not huge just more curvy. I was teased all throughout highschool for being the bigger girl. So I took it to extremes. To this day I still deal with anxiety over food and I am pretty rigid about maintaining my weight, 135 at 5'7. I eat what I want when I want it, I exercise moderately (this part can be challenging) and I maintain my weight. I feel that I am able to maintain my weight though my measuring my food and eating in portions, which my husband thinks is unhealthy. I don't measure vegetables anymore, more just meats, cereal, fruits, butter/avocado. I have a 3 year old daughter and he worries that if I continue to weight/measure my food she is going to pick up some disordered eating habits, which I too worry about. When we go out of town, out to eat, etc. I never bother with weighing, I just choose what I want in moderation. He has never had any weight issues, he is pretty good about eating in moderation and never tends to gain weight. How do some of you explain your weighing/measuring to your kids in a healthy way? Do you consider it an unhealthy obsession?

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I weigh most of my food in front of the kids. I don't weigh their food. They are 8&6 and have never mentioned my food scales habits.

I don't generally don't talk about the amount of calories I've had during the day. I will talk openly about how much protein I've had. My kids have started to ask questions like, "how much protein does...so and so have?"

I don't think my food scale behavior is unhealthy, it's a strategy I use to keep myself on track and to promote my overall fitness goals. I really believe that how you interpret your behaviors will influence how your kids interpret your behaviors.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I don't think weighing or measuring food is a sign of disordered eating. Plenty of my family members including my husband feel that it is because weighing, measuring and counting calories is just something they never did, even when trying to control their weight.

I taught my son that food is ok and eating is ok, but there is a balance. His favorite donuts are ok, just not every day, and to eat when hungry and not in response to emotion. I also taught him that he is fine, healthy and acceptable as he is (he is slightly overweight, but very tall for his age). He's seen me measure portions, he's gone with me to Weight Watcher meetings, and occasionally asks about calories and Points, but only out of curiosity. I raised my adult daughter with the same attitude about food: moderation, no good vs bad foods, and that she is acceptable at any weight.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I feel like these issues are so catch 22 as a mom. It's a struggle to determine how important it is to weight their self esteem versus the dangers of obesity.

I have three girls 4, 3 and soon to be 2- my oldest is rail thin and has a natural inclination towards vegetables and fruits and can stop after a bite or two of a treat (this mystifies the hell out of us because neither me or my husband have ever been that way, we assume it's because we didn't allow refined sugar until closer to 2?), our middle is thin and muscular compared to other little girls and this girl can RUN even though she is more of a cupcake worshipper than her sister....then there is the baby, who is first percentile for her height and one hundredth for her weight and if there is chocolate anywhere nearby she will sniff it out and demolish it.

I seriously worry about my beautiful youngest
    girl because her sisters are small and, even though it will hopefully shift soon, she is very chunky. It's cute now (so cute, her thighs are almost as big as mine lol) but I don't want her going to school and being picked on, or growing up having a complex for being the heavy sister (the dynamic my sister had with me), or worse still develop health problems :( . Our ped is addressing it now because he (thankfully) recognized she's rather big at her last check.

So as much as I don't want them to have a complex about my food behaviours I also want to shield them from the pain of obesity as well. I still struggle with figuring this OP, my mama heart goes out to you in striking the balance <3
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel that I am able to maintain my weight though my measuring my food and eating in portions, which my husband thinks is unhealthy. I don't measure vegetables anymore, more just meats, cereal, fruits, butter/avocado. I have a 3 year old daughter and he worries that if I continue to weight/measure my food she is going to pick up some disordered eating habits, which I too worry about. When we go out of town, out to eat, etc. I never bother with weighing, I just choose what I want in moderation

It doesn't sound like you are obsessive just weighing certain calorie dense things. Awareness of portion sizes is not a bad thing to learn. It does not mean over-restricting or disordered eating.
    I weigh my food in front of my teenage daughter. I don't weigh anyone else's food unless I am trying to divide something into exactly equal amounts. It hasn't impacted her eating habits.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, I worry, but OTOH if I wasn't able to intuitively eat and stay slim even at an early age, odds are my kids won't be able to either. Plus, they're tempted every day watching other kids stuff their pie holes continuously (lest the little darlings faint or fall into a hypoglycemic crisis), and seeing that everywhere does make it start to seem normal, no matter what Mom says. And yes, no matter what one teaches in the home, friends and the outside world have a bigger and bigger influence as the child gets older. They do keep needing our input to counteract what the world is telling and showing them.

Showing them how to enjoy but not become overweight, without placing judgments, doesn't seem like the road to an eating disorder to me. It just seems like common sense. We teach kids to rein it in and be sensible in other ways (limited TV time, limited electronics, do your homework before play, Daddy has one beer - not ten, we get a lot of what we want for Christmas but not every last expensive useless thing our impulsive little hearts desire, etc.), so why not food?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I feel like the best thing to prevent eating problems with your kids is teaching them healthy eating habits and talking to them. Make sure they know proper nutrition and not just a number on the scale or on a tag.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I feel like the best thing to prevent eating problems with your kids is teaching them healthy eating habits and talking to them. Make sure they know proper nutrition and not just a number on the scale or on a tag.

This is sensible.