What's the Best Dressing?

dre_710
dre_710 Posts: 20 Member
What's the best dressing to have with a home made salad? I'm trying to leave Ranch and Thousand Island out of the list. Something else I can buy? or make at home?
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I just use regular Italian dressing or vinegarette . I've never used creamy dressing on a salad, it's never even occured to me.
  • dre_710
    dre_710 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks Christine, I haven't had Italian in a very long time. I will be picking some up tomorrow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    dre_710 wrote: »
    Thanks Christine, I haven't had Italian in a very long time. I will be picking some up tomorrow.

Check out the dressing isle in the store, there are so many different combo's. Most of the Italian/French/vinaigrette types have similar calories.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    The best is Bernsteins's Restaurant Recipe Italian Dressing.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper n garlic powder, wisk it together n it's really good
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    My favorite is the Opa jalapeño ranch dressing. It is a greek yogurt dressing and is found in the cooler in the veggie section. It is half the calories as regular dressings but it tastes great. I was never a dressing person until I tried this one. It doesn't taste as heavy as the other dressings, if that makes any sense.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    1 part lemon juice
    1 part wholegrain mustard
    1 part olive oil

If you need to drop the cals even more reduce or remove the olive oil. I find it coats better and not such a bite with the olive oil though.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Harris Teeter has a Greek Yogurt Dressing in their Organics line. It's low calorie and pretty good! I also like the little Knorr salad packages (check amazon for "knorr salat kronung"). You mix each bag with 3 Tbs of water and 3 Tbs of olive oil, wait a few minutes, and then toss it in the salad. I usually do 1-2 spoons per salad bowl, so I have enough for several and it's less than a serving.
  • carrieoffen
    carrieoffen Posts: 46 Member
    I like the bolthouse brands. They're usually in the produce refrigeratored section
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    French or Russian was my dressing of choice until I went on a search for a lower calorie option I found tasty. Kraft or Great Value brand lite raspberry vinaigrette is now my go to dressing. 30 calories per serving(30ml) compared to 70 to 130 for my former choices.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Are you trying to leave ranch & thousand island out because of the calorie content? You totally don't have to, if that's the reason. Just make homemade dressing.

Ranch:

1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
    1/2 2% milk
    1.5 tbsp of hidden valley ranch mix

Roughly 32 calories/tbsp of dressing

Thousand Island same principal (I don't usually measure when I make it) Use light mayo, 2% milk, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish. The calorie content would still be comparable to the ranch recipe.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Homemade dressing for a homemade salad. I have a collection of vinegar and oils that I like to mix and match depending on the salad ingredients. Sesame oil, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar for an asian style salad.
  • jackblack55
    jackblack55 Posts: 2 Member
    I make my own..I don't measure anymore but a little gluten free mustard ( any kind) a little apple cider vinegar,olive oil and a sweetener like honey or agave.If you can't do either I use Bee Free honey.
  • jackblack55
    jackblack55 Posts: 2 Member
    I eat it with all kinds of stuff lol
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    I buy "Newman's Own Light Balsamic." Make sure you get the one that says: No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. That's important! A lot of Newman's light dressings don't say that. So, look for this one or others that do. This was recommended to me by the Fitness Director at work. Very low on calories too! Hope that helps!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I rarely use any dressing as I find the liquid coming off the gurken and other wetter vegetables quite enough as a dressing.
    However if I do use a dressing it is either 1/3 oil +2/3 vinegar and some herbs of choice. Nothing too special - Very rarely a honey mustard dressing, but it has been ages
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    I use this all of the time:
    1/2 c sugar free maple syrup (you can substitute splenda to your taste)
    1/2 c vinegar (any kind)
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 or 2 tbsp. olive oil
    Optional: 1 tsp. minced basil, thyme, and/or parsley
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Love the yogurt dressings. Hidden Valley and Boathouse are the best tasting.
  • throughmineeye
    throughmineeye Posts: 7 Member
    My recent favourite is an avocado dressing...so good!

1 Avocado
    1 clove Garlic, peeled
    ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
    ¼ cup low-fat sour-cream or greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice (or white vinegar)
    3 tablespoons Olive Oil
    ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
    ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
    Water
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    My go to is Kens lite raspberry walnut vinaigrette. I have never been a creamy dressing type person anyway. There is also a sweet balsamic that kraft makes. I haven't made a home made dressing in forever!