Exercise Bike recommendations?

Options
I've considered joining Planet Fitness to have access to exercise bikes and equipment, but if I found a bike that didn't have poor reviews because of their seats (butts and crotches going numb after five minutes) and isn't recumbent then I could save money by buying one for the home. Any recommendations?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Outdoor bike. You can always put it on a trainer and use it indoors when you've had enough fun, but this would let you have more enjoyment and also use it for transportation. Also it'll have a great deal of opportunity to keep your butt more comfortable. If you buy used, you can get a great deal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I agree with the outdoor bike on a trainer idea. It's a lot more fun to ride outside than inside and your butt is less likely to go numb. But if you must ride inside, a decent smart trainer is about $500 and you can get better ones if you have the money. I use one with Zwift, but there are other software packages that will automatically alter the resistance based on where you are on a route. This makes it much less boring than just sitting and spinning.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Another vote for outdoor bicycle on trainer. I use a fluid trainer which wasn't expensive and yet has been very durable.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    peloton.... thank me later
  • enneirda07
    enneirda07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

I want one but they're a bit expensive for me right now and I'm scared I won't use it all the time.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I vote for Planet Fitness. It's dirt cheap as gyms go, and you'll get access to more than just exercise bikes. Even if all you want to do is be a better cyclist, a little strength training always helps. And you'll never have to worry about maintaining/repairing/replacing the exercise bike. I got the premium membership, so I can take a guest with me (my wife, typically) and I also get free access to the massage chairs/beds and whatever else (tanning? not for me, but it's there)
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    enneirda07 wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »

I want one but they're a bit expensive for me right now and I'm scared I won't use it all the time.

i thought the same thing too until i decided that my health was more important. There is a payment plan for it and it isnt bad. Since i got the back i have used it 24 times.

Its well worth it. Friend me if you have any questions
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Outdoor bike. You can always put it on a trainer and use it indoors when you've had enough fun

^^^ This, with the exception of a spinning class at the tri club I ride my road bike all year 'round.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Regular bike on a trainer is the most versatile but, if you want a dedicated spin bike, the best that you can buy IMO is a Lemond RevMaster Pro which is heavy weight, durable and extremely adjustable which is why you see them in gyms so often.

I bought mine used (but like new) for $1k but have seen used ones in good condition for sslr on Craigslist for $500-750.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Regardless, consider buying a pair of bike shorts with padding. Having the right clothes will help a lot with the seat comfort. you don;t want a seat to be too big as that can cause chafing issues and then you have an entirely different discomfort to deal with. Minimal saddles provide the freedom that you need to spin with your legs freely. There are also saddles available on the market designed to reduce the pressure points in certain anatomical parts so don't get too hung up on the saddle concerns.
  • HonestBuddha
    HonestBuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I am very sensitive to heat/sun and humidity due to medications I take, so an outdoor bike ride in St. Louis this summer won't be happening unfortunately. I think I will ask if PF has a 7 day pass so I can see if I like it before I join. I definitely don't need the tanning package. I have two colors, white and red LOL.