Couch to 5K SUCCESS! Down nearly 100lbs! (Before & After Pictures)

shawneelaraye
shawneelaraye Posts: 30 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
I wanted to make a short post in between the one I will make when I reach my goal weight.

I am proud of myself.

My highest weight ever was 280lbs. Last summer, in the beginning of August I weighed 266lbs. I decided I wanted to live a long and healthy life. So I started walking. And then I started running. And then also lifting off and on (I want to get more into that!) I now weigh 189 lbs!

I just decided a few months ago that I wanted to start a program to start running longer distances. I've been running on my treadmill. So I downloaded a couch to 5K app! Today, I ran 3.1 miles in 31 minutes!

I am now planning on increasing my speed and running outside instead of on my treadmill since the weather is getting nicer, and then enter a 5K race! And then after that,

10K here I come!

First photo is from last summer. I was around 265-270lbs.

The second photo is today after completing the 5K run! 189lbs.

The third photo is a recent photo of me.

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    You look amazing! I've thought about downloading that. You're inspiring I think I will! Congratulations!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Wow! really inspiring. Thanks for sharing both the process and the photos.
  • tealtortoise
    tealtortoise Posts: 53 Member
    You look fabulous! It amazing to see what can be accomplished when one really sets their mind to something! Thanks for posting and way to go!
  • jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    Outstanding improvement in less than a year's time! I completed the C25K outdoors this spring (could barely stand a minute when I started!) and have to work on my speed/time as well. It's amazing how much you can achieve if you just keep putting in the work! Add me if you like. I'd love to see your continued progress :)
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Congratulations! You are such an inspiration!!! Looking great and look very happy too!
  • havronab
    havronab Posts: 40 Member
    Amazing job! You look incredible and absolutely should be proud of yourself!! I'm kind of afraid of running, and keep telling myself I'll try doing a couch to 5k when I lose a bit more weight. @shawneelaraye If you don't mind me asking, how much did you weigh when you started running and how difficult was it?
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Very impressive!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    So awesome!!! You look happy & fabulous -- congrats! Kudos on the 5K -- that's fantastic!
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Great job! You look amazing! Keep it up
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Great job! I've recently started a similar program with the intent that I'd like to someday run a half marathon. I've slacked a bit this week but your post has inspired me to get back on track tomorrow morning (treadmill is in the bedroom and hubby is sleeping). Thanks for sharing!
  • Housebound2017
    Housebound2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Wow amazing difference between first 2 pics. What is this Couch to 5k with a treadmill please? Can you start by walking on the treadmill with it rather than running? ..and how often do you need to go on it in a week?

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Congratulations- C25k is a great program. Way to go and good luck with your 10k :)
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Well done!
  • Lovemybody75
    Lovemybody75 Posts: 44 Member
    Wow! Just wow! You are truly an inspiration!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Just about to start couch 2 5k myself, more for health than the weight loss aspect. Great inspiration though, well done!
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Awesome job!
  • shawneelaraye
    havronab wrote: »
    Amazing job! You look incredible and absolutely should be proud of yourself!! I'm kind of afraid of running, and keep telling myself I'll try doing a couch to 5k when I lose a bit more weight. @shawneelaraye If you don't mind me asking, how much did you weigh when you started running and how difficult was it?

I started running from almost the very beginning when I was 266lbs, but a very light jog on the treadmill (I want to say 4.5 mph maybe?) and only for 5-10 minutes at a time. In high school, I had run on the treadmill fairly often so I was thinking I could just jump back into it but boy, those 5-10 minutes were hard!

The C25K app (couch to 5K) actually starts you out easier than how I started out in the very beginning when I was around 265lbs!! You run/jog 1 minute, walk 1 1/2 minutes alternating for 20 minutes! 3 days a week, and then it goes up from there! I started beginning of March on the C25K app and I weighed a little over 200lbs. Now I weigh around 189lbs! I also wear knee braces to help with the impact and keep my joints in check. My knees don't hurt, but I don't want them to ever hurt! So I try to take as good of care of them as possible while also getting in my exercise!

Also, as for your question about how hard it is. I started running on the treadmill back in August 2016 at my highest weight. So I had already built some endurance, but only at slower speeds like 4.5 mph on my treadmill. I wanted to start the 5K app with the intent on getting faster with my running and also building more endurance. I could already run 3 miles on my treadmill before I started the 5K app, but only at around 4.5-5mph. So I started running at 6.5 mph (but throughout the course of the program I decided 6.5 was too fast so I brought it down to 6mph and that's how fast I run on my treadmill now). I personally thought it was easy in the beginning when I was only running from 1-5 minutes at a time, and then the first time I had to run 5 minutes straight I was having a rough time so I brought it down to 6mph. And I went on from there! You've got to do what works for you! Now I'm looking to increase it again to 6.5 and try to get faster!

I hope I answered all your questions!
  • shawneelaraye
    Great job! I've recently started a similar program with the intent that I'd like to someday run a half marathon. I've slacked a bit this week but your post has inspired me to get back on track tomorrow morning (treadmill is in the bedroom and hubby is sleeping). Thanks for sharing!

I am so glad to have inspired you! I keep thinking that a half marathon is where I'd like to end up, but goodness! It's a ways away for me still!

• shawneelaraye
    Wow amazing difference between first 2 pics. What is this Couch to 5k with a treadmill please? Can you start by walking on the treadmill with it rather than running? ..and how often do you need to go on it in a week?

Thank you so much @Housebound2017! I downloaded the C25K app on my phone! It has the whole program in it! You can start by walking if you'd like, and then build up to running. The first run is only 1 minute of running (you can do more like a light jog) and then 1.5 minutes of walking and you do that alternating for 20 minutes! It is 3 times a week. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!