Small changes, Big results

Options
So i started my weight loss journey Dec.2016. I always struggled with my weight and decided to make small changes in my health. I started with cutting out dark sodas(coke,rootbeer), then light(Sprite) and then to juices or lemonades. Now I am just drinking water and teas(low sugar). Just by doing that in two months i lost 12lbs. Then i started so minimize my portion of food i would when i eat out or home meals. Ex. I would eat out at tacobell and get a mexican pizza combo and add two more tacos and large drink. Now if i go i would just get a mexican pizza or the two tacos and no drink. Next my goal is to cut out fast food all together but the convenience of it makes it hard to give up when am always out and about but i am slowly making more home meals so i dont have to do take out. My goal is to lose 60lbs by july. I would like more ideas on makeing small changes to get my health on track and lose the weight.

Replies

• Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You've had a solid approach to your loss. I've been down the same path with junk food, fast food, etc. It's not easy at first but when you continue to phase that stuff out, it gets much easier and it even gets to the point where if you try it, it won't even taste good. Mostly when it comes to the drinks. A big thing that helps me stay straight with my food is learning about how bad a lot of the additives in foods and drinks are. They even put it in stuff labeled "healthy". Lots of hidden Trans fats and bad syrups are put in so much and it really has a big impact on how you physically feel. Feel free to add me if you want to talk more about nutrition and weight-loss related stuff. Keep up the good work!
  • jurapak9960
    jurapak9960 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some common ones are drink lots of water (you can burn an extra 200 calories or more per day by drinking extra water), I always park at the back of parking lots to get my steps in and always take the stairs not the elevator! When I make healthy dinners, I always make extra so I have some easy go-to lunches for the week which fight my fast food urges! Lastly, just try to walk more. You'd be surprised how many calories you can burn just by walking an extra 1 or 2 miles a day! Good luck and those little changes will lead to major milestones soon!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Food prep helps you cut down take away. If you have a portion controlled meal in the fridge or freezer that just has to be heated the incentive to order out drops, plus you can save money
  • userlovecake
    userlovecake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I Love chicken burgers with chips from my local takeaway. Best guess its about 900 kcals. I made a relatively high cal (for me) alternative from freezer bought food for 580kcals. Its a small change that doesn't leave me feeling like I'm missing out on my friday treat foods. It simply using a smaller bread roll, ditching battered chicken for a bbq grill and having 100g of sweet potato wedges instead of 250g fries.

It also means my partner isn't effected by my CICO lifestyle so he's supportive of it.

I would also recommend food prep its a lifesaver!
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water (you can burn an extra 200 calories or more per day by drinking extra water)

No, you can't. How woukd that even be possible ?!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water (you can burn an extra 200 calories or more per day by drinking extra water)

Sounds like a game of telephone that skewed what Neil DeGrasse Tyson said on his Twitter:

Not necessarily sure I completely believe Tyson either, but it's not quite as extreme.
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Sounds like a game of telephone that skewed what Neil DeGrasse Tyson said on his Twitter:

Not necessarily sure I completely believe Tyson either, but it's not quite as extreme.

Whaaaaat ? No, just no.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    First off OP - Great job! You are doing easily managed changes to make yourself healthier. One thing I did was start buying frozen microwave in the bag vegetables (no sauce). They are convenient and have helped me stay away from fast food drive thrus. Also have you started any exercise. When I first started 1/2 a mile walk was all I could do now a mile and 1/2 is my early morning warm up.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like to eat out about 3 times a month. When they serve the meal (whatever it is) I ask for a container to go. I divide the original portion in half and put the rest in the container. Psychologically I feel like I'm eating a full portion and eat slower. It's really helped me manage the eating out part of life. I'm still working on handling the overabundance of food and drink at parties. OP- you are doing great!!!!!
  • dan23chi
    dan23chi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. its a challenge that can be won. Once you make it a life habit, the sweets and fast food wont mean a thing anymore.